Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

Garage
LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter

I need to do an oil change, and was thinking about installing the LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter;

Anyone have this, and care to share the pros & cons?

I was thinking with the "stock" design it would be easier to check the filter for possible IMS related debris; do you basically have to tear down a spin on filter to do the same?

(this is my first change on the car, I've only had it about 4K miles, and it was changed right when I bought it)

Thanks,
Steve

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #2

I've got one and like it fine. They seem to be very well designed and constructed, but you're right: it is tougher to see what's in the filter. I actually used an old wood chisel, hammer, pliers and some tin snips to open up my filter at my last oil change---a messy (and potentially dangerous!) process.

Do a search. There's apparently a device available that's a kind of "can opener" for spin on oil filters. I've considered getting one...forget what they cost.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

I'm staying stock, the Porsche inserts (used to keep warranty in place) are excellent quality. They are very much the same as the inside of the disposables so IMO all you're really doing is creating more waste and making the oil change easier for yourself. Oh and in case anyone is interested 9A1 with 4K on it filter showed zero particles of any sort, looked like a brand new unit only wetted.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 05-22-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
While a convienent item for adding COTS based oil filters, the Porsche filter does an excellent job and allows you the ability to verify engine conditions. Save you money and buy more stock filters.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I'm staying stock, the Porsche inserts (used to keep warranty in place) are excellent quality. They are very much the same as the inside of the disposables so IMO all you're really doing is creating more waste and making the oil change easier for yourself.
First, the OEM filter is anything but "excellent quality", and the internal components’ are not the same as aftermarket filters. Over the years, I do not know how many OEM cartridges we have taken out of engines where the cheap treated paper end cap had either torn around the center opening, or delaminated entirely at the glue line that attaches the end cap to the media, creating a pathway for the oil to circumvent the media without being filtered. The OEM media has a relatively lager pore diameter compared to other manufacturer’s, again allowing more debris to get by. The OEM canister is not setup for "full flow filtration", where all the oil is filtered at all times, and is plastic and damage prone from cracking or road debris impact.

The LN adaptor can use the Wix/NAPA Gold filter that has a full 30% finer pore diameter media that is held in place by crimped metal rather than glue. The filter is both "full flow" and oil volume flow rated way beyond what the M96/97 could ever generate. And these spin on filters cost about 1/3 what the OEM filters do, plus you can buy them just about anywhere.

If you don't want to switch to the spin on setup, look at the Wix/NAPA Gold replacement cartridge for the OEM filter; same media as the Wix spin on in a filter with molded on end caps and a support cage that totally eliminates the issues that the OEM unit have with the exception that oil can still totally by pass the filter because of the design of the OEM plastic housing.

Not all oil filters are created equal...................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-22-2012 at 10:09 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Every system of quality filtering at Kodak and customer sites used cartridges. Sorry but this issue is played out Tomato / Tomatto, Porsche has millions of cars on the road using the system, screw the screw on. Cant use the napa units till warranty is off, will scope them out I know they will be cheaper. I don't know what downed my 986, never got the report, I'll bet a house that it wasn't oil filter failure and my bank account it wasn't the K&N either. Not to mention us nutcases changin each fall before storage, filters never get dirty.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 05-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

(1) What Kodak (a failing company) is using is irrelevant to what is going on in your car, but I would be willing to wager that what ever brand of cartridge filters they are using are not as poorly made as the OEM Mahle filters in your car…...

(2) Porsche is also the architects of the IMS, RMS, D-chunking, slipped sleeves, etc., etc.; not all their choices are good ones..........

(3) Your warranty only requires that you change the filter, not the brand.

(4) Suggest you obtain a copy of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637), a United States federal law, which states that before an OEM can deny warranty coverage, they have to conclusively prove that the aftermarket component caused your engine failure.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

So kick Kodak in the balls, bad day at work JFP? The customers and systems I worked on were cutting edge world class and deployed best practices. I wont bore you with what you don't know about Kodak but I know for fact there are people who passed through there smarter than you on your best day and me too for that matter. What's left of my division still produces world class digital imaging systems so blow it out your tailpipe.

PS I specifically asked about the warranty so again you don't know everything.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
So kick Kodak in the balls, bad day at work JFP? The customers and systems I worked on were cutting edge world class and deployed best practices. I wont bore you with what you don't know about Kodak but I know for fact there are people who passed through there smarter than you on your best day and me too for that matter. What's left of my division still produces world class digital imaging systems so blow it out your tailpipe.

PS I specifically asked about the warranty so again you don't know everything.
Before I left the "corporate world" (global VP of Sales and Marketing), Kodak was a customer of mine; so I do know them well. And all of the "cutting edge", "world class", and "best practices" didn't help them much when the market's commercial and technology focus turned elsewhere, and they did not move to keep pace...........

And if you dealer is requiring you to use a specific brand of oil filter, I'd suggest you talk to your attorney about filing an illegal “tying” suit; you would have an excellent case (at least against the dealer, as I am sure PCNA would quickly distance themselves) as that is also a violation of federal commercial law ......

Oh, and I never have a bad day at work because I own the company, but have a nice day anyway.........................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

Garage
Both types of filters have their advantages and disadvantages. Word is Porsche used the paper cartridge, which is of less filtration than the conventional metal, so it would be easier to see if metal particles were present. Could you imagine trying to see if the filter collected metal with the metal filter? Many people would hate the inconvenience of trying to cut the filter out.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Ex Esso kid

You know so much about Kodak did you know they made infrared film that not only tracked enemy subs in WW2 but identified each ship? When Bush one launched desert storm and Raygun bombed Libya who do you think made that stuff hit the mark? That's why everyone laughed in Rochester when Raygun said he accidentally hit the French embassy after they denied him airspace, yeah whoopsie. Anyway sleep tight tonight, still brought to you in part by E.K. As for myself, I just halved the radiation at a children's hospital with their "lousy" technology.

As for the lawsuit... Two dealers said the same thing, if a problem occurred that could even remotely be tied to filter problems and the factory filter was not in place, the company would likely not cover it. Since Porsche themselves states they don't cover "acts of god" I think the advise is sound.

PS Stuff your arrogance, I retired from a company I owned, enjoy the hump you hump. Not to mention my dad's 46 in his business that came my way, run along and sell screw adapters.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 05-22-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Both types of filters have their advantages and disadvantages. Word is Porsche used the paper cartridge, which is of less filtration than the conventional metal, so it would be easier to see if metal particles were present. Could you imagine trying to see if the filter collected metal with the metal filter? Many people would hate the inconvenience of trying to cut the filter out.
So you are thinking that Porsche knew this new engine that they just designed was going to need a easy way to inspect for metal in the oil filter every 15,000 miles??

Look at both filters & guess which style is cheaper to make.

I like the metal oil filters because I can use a FilterMag on it.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
You know so much about Kodak did you know they made infrared film that not only tracked enemy subs in WW2 but identified each ship? When Bush one launched desert storm and Raygun bombed Libya who do you think made that stuff hit the mark? That's why everyone laughed in Rochester when Raygun said he accidentally hit the French embassy after they denied him airspace, yeah whoopsie. Anyway sleep tight tonight, still brought to you in part by E.K. As for myself, I just halved the radiation at a children's hospital with their "lousy" technology.

As for the lawsuit... Two dealers said the same thing, if a problem occurred that could even remotely be tied to filter problems and the factory filter was not in place, the company would likely not cover it. Since Porsche themselves states they don't cover "acts of god" I think the advise is sound.

PS Stuff your arrogance, I retired from a company I owned, enjoy the hump you hump. Not to mention my dad's 46 in his business that came my way, run along and sell screw adapters.
As informative as this is it pales in comparison to the contribution of relevent FACTS that JFP makes on a daily basis to this forum & this thread in particular!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Ex Esso kid

You can place a belt of magnets around the plastic with a dollar store dog collar. The canister means less than the core. To think the technology in each filter is discreet makes little sense, manufacturing likes single solutions they make wider margins.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
As informative as this is it pales in comparison to the contribution of relevent FACTS that JFP makes on a daily basis to this forum & this thread in particular!
Who cares when he tries to go Beverly hills he can kiss my butt, two people in my life right now of great wealth neither of which can be helped with said wealth, there is more to life than his perceived larger stack, I own my own business tough guy, global VP, B.S. otherwise I'm usually down with his posts too but at the end of the day they are opinions. I used to have to golf clap for guys like he's being today, not anymore. You guys have all the faith in the world in some Porsche engineering so it's a pick and choose deal everyday.

Additionally, his interface with EK doesn't qualify him to know didly about the technical powehouse they once were, that was my point. Half the radiation to children is a big deal to me always will be.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 05-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

I'll try to get us back on topic by saying that I like to inspect the used filter media so going to a spin on filter has never crossed my mind.

As to brand, I usually buy stock (Mahle) but sometimes get the Wix filter if I can find it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #17

Garage
I installed the LN Spin on Oil filter adapter and the oil drain plug with the magnet on my '03. That way I don't need to rip open the filter, I just check the drain plug for any metal. Fast and easy!
dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #18

But a large magnet doesn't show any non ferrous bits in your filter like aluminium, gasket goo and plastic from various parts in the engine.
After saying that I'm sure that the spin on filter is a good idea (as per all other mods designed by Charles Navarro) and I have one of his magnetic drain plugs fitted to my car too, but cutting open the OEM filter (easily) is - to me - another piece of the early warning jigsaw....

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 05-22-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
kls

I bought a filter cutter for $40:

Amazon.com: Oil Filter Cutter: Automotive

and it works fairly well. I plan to change the filter every 2500 miles and inspect it, and change the oil every 5K. I actually haven't tried it on a NAPA filter yet, but it worked well on a Bosch. It's a little messy, and you have to cut the filter material out with a razor knife, but not bad. I'm going to call it the "guardian procedure."
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #20

I enjoy my LNE spin-on filter adapter.

bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote