Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
How did the water get into the car?
My A/C line is clogged so the water leaks into the car instead of outside the car everytime I use my A/C. Common problem with Boxsters.

In addition, the plastic trim under the car is broken by the mud flap.

If you remove the carpet where it meets the firewall, you would notice some holes that go outside. Since the plastic trim under the car and the plastic mudflap by the rear wheel is broken, water gets into there when it rains making the situation even worse.

When I drive up hill, water starts to flow back out of the large crack in my plastic mud flap.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #22
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
My A/C line is clogged so the water leaks into the car instead of outside the car everytime I use my A/C. Common problem with Boxsters.

In addition, the plastic trim under the car is broken by the mud flap.

If you remove the carpet where it meets the firewall, you would notice some holes that go outside. Since the plastic trim under the car and the plastic mudflap by the rear wheel is broken, water gets into there when it rains making the situation even worse.

When I drive up hill, water starts to flow back out of the large crack in my plastic mud flap.
Ok, time to resolve the water infiltration pronto. If you flood the immobilizer located under the drivers seat you will throw big $$$ getting your car to run again.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Ok, time to resolve the water infiltration pronto. If you flood the immobilizer located under the drivers seat you will throw big $$$ getting your car to run again.
Yeah I am working on it today since it is supposed to rain all next week in my area. Luckily, this is only happening on the passenger side.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
So you track your Boxster with the 1 inch lowered suspension? Did you ever experience rubbing from making fast turns on the track?
Yes, I tracked the Boxster quite a bit, and with the aftermarket wheels, a little rubbing at the rear fender I suppose on compression. But with the stock 17" wheels no rubbing at all.

I believe another poster already mentioned the rubbing from the front usu happening on the street at lock to lock, because you would need possibly hairpins type turns to fully turn the steering wheel.

The exp with the rear rubbing came with different brand of tires...even though I used 265/35/18's, the Hoosier A6/R6 rubbed substantially when compared with Toyo R888 or other street tires for that matter.

Hope this helps and sorry to hear of the rubbing and the h20 in the car, that sucks!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #25

I went to the track last weekend and drove my car the hardest I ever had.

I did not get rubbing issues.

But I did get other issues. 80% of the time on the track, All I heard was scraping sounds from all of the brake rotor dust shields touching the brake rotors while I was driving. For some reason when I lowered the car, it pushed the brake shields closer to the rotor. You can actually hear the sound at some point in the video I recorded while driving around the track.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #26
Yellow986S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Assuming that we're talking about the same thing, if your front tires are making contact with the plastic shield that's located inside the wheel well itself, it can be adjusted . I had a similar problem after my vehicle underwent a body kit project, wherein my front wheels were making contact with the shield . It's been awhile since the project, but I recall that the shields were adjustable, and I was able to move them inward to eliminate this problem .
I've recently fitted some wider tires and wheels and have some slight rubbing in the front on the inner fender liner. I saw in one of your previous posts that you said they were adjustable. I have completely removed them and am trying to find out how to adjust it but i can't find it. Could you please describe how to adjust the fender liners more inward.

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #27
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow986S View Post
I've recently fitted some wider tires and wheels and have some slight rubbing in the front on the inner fender liner. I saw in one of your previous posts that you said they were adjustable. I have completely removed them and am trying to find out how to adjust it but i can't find it. Could you please describe how to adjust the fender liners more inward.

Good luck, JD has been AWOL for a while now
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #28

my car is lowered, has aggressive front camber and 235 fronts. I get some rubbing on the inside of the fender well. I was initially worried that it was the result of very aggressive driving - loading the front suspension in corners and causing the tires to touch the inside of the wheel well.

I spoke to my mechanic about it and his position was this (and he also runs our local track events and fields three race cars so knows his stuff pretty good): rubbing due to deflection of the suspension under load would occur at the top of the wheel wells. rubbing on the inside of the wheel wells is from turning to full lock - more of a parking lot thing. the solution? don't turn to full lock. further, he noted that rubber is softer than most of the important things in the wheel wells (coolant lines, etc.) so the tires would damage before the mechanical bits would. so, monitor your tires for damage (ie, inside sidewall) instead of the fender liners.

it eased my mind enough to do nothing about the wear I am seeing.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #29

Garage
I installed the ROW M030 Sport Suspension on my '99 three years ago and, although it wasn't lowered that much, it was lowered enough to scrape on some driveways and speed bumps. I just slow down and approach from an angle if possible to avoid scraping the from underside, but since no one sees it I'm not all bothered by a few scrapes underneath. If you really are bothered by it there is a metal protector that is made to install under the front and take the scrapes. As I recall Auto Atlanta, Pelican and Suncoast used to sell one. You might also try eBay but expect to pay $200+ for one.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #30

With a JEEP Wrangler as my DD, I tend to forget and have scraped mine a couple of times!

Mine is an S with the optional factory M030 sport suspension.