Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #21

I like the egg look of the 986 and 996 headlights
They were original and had character.
The new 981 headlights, though modern looking, have a g35 or nissan altima look to them that is defined by those cars.
The 987 I headlights are just uninspired teardrops that looks like they came off a mini or vw beetle.

I do like the 987II headlights the most though!

What makes these aftermarket headlights kinda rice is not the LED (cause everything have LED these days) but the amount of chrome on them. I saw a blacked out version somewhere online.

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Ex Esso kid

I think the new units look far superior to what you had in there. All I would do is avoid the multi LED rear units, I think together that might be too much but the headlamps look litronic - esce and apparently cost much less. Only Porsche guys will know them from litronics.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #23

Looks good. I'm considering these for my 02. A few questions:
Are these real projectors?
Are the turn signal leds bright enough?
Do you have any picture at night?

Thanks.
tamagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #24

Two thumbs way up! Your car looks a decade newer with 2 minutes of work. Nice.
Roy_Josef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #25

Personally, I would've kept the original OEM lights. I know the orange amber kinda kills it, but something about those LEDs don't strike me right.

On a side note, the chrome really makes it look new. I have to give you that. Takes away 10 years from the car I think.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #26

EDIT: You know, this post has been bothering me a lot. I've been going back to this thread and I've concluded that I actually really like these lights, despite my initial impression. Once they're on your car, they make it look magnitudes better. Now I'm undecided on what I want to do -_-

Do these take H7 HIDs?
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I have yet to see any headlight option that I like. Yes, the stock lights grow on you, but they are still ugly as heck. That's always what people see, always the first thing they mention, especially kids. I just took the box to my cousins yesterday and his 6 year olds first comment was that the "lights are ugly".

Even the stock lights don't "follow the lines of the car". Look at the turn signal/front bumper line.
Au contraire. The stock lights do very clever things with the bumper line. What they do is carry the bumper across the light unit along the divide between the clear and amber part of the light.

Personally, I think the original 986 lights are a very, very nice bit of design and help make the early 986 easily the prettiest Box of all.

But hey, we all like different stuff.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #28

Link

Hi, can you send the link fot these lights please? Thanks!
dolphin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
These lights are bedazzled
Sparkly...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
They are on fleabay for $1500usd...better off picking up some stock litronics or clear headlights and installing projectors

From the other thread. Don't know if the deal still stands, but it wouldn't hurt to email him.

remove amber film headlights

Quote:
Items List / ebay price / 986forum special
the price for the chrome- $995.- / $895.- / $795.-
the price for the black- $995.- / $895.- / $795.-

shipping in the USA / Fedex ground is $45.- (rather large box)
for Canada - $75.-
International- $145.-

if they want to order they can contact me at this email jezzsb@aol.com

with their full name, address and phone# and whether they want chrome or black. I will email them an invoice and paypal request, or the invoice will have our mailing information for check or money order

Last edited by particlewave; 03-23-2013 at 09:50 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #31

does anyone who have these lights have trouble with them? I purchased mine from jeff (jezzsb@aol.com) about 6 months ago. even though i love the look of them, i have had so many problems with them.

1. they don't fit exactly. i can't seem to "lock" them in place. therefore, i just slide them into the housing and cross my fingers that i don't brake too hard to where they slide back out.

2. the light brightness absolutely suck. i tried changing the bulb, but no help.

3. the main bulb keeps burning out. hence the opportunity to try different bulbs as above. but why is this happening?

4. the led row lights are also burning out. since i installed them 6 months ago, i have had 4 of the led bulbs burn out. (and the main bulbs burn out 3x's already). i thought led were suppose to last forever...at least longer than 6 months. i don't even know how to change these so now my headlights look poke-a-dotted.

5 i have addressed these issues with jeff on multiple occasions, and he says that he will be sending me a new pair, but again, it has been 6 months in the waiting. yes, these issues were apparent on delivery.

any suggestions? anyone have similar issues?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #32

Garage
I have a question about your Cayman wheels. Did you need spacers or are they bolted up using your existing lugs? I think they look awesome and I'm contemplating purchasing a set for my 1998 Box.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #33

What a bargain, these are about $15,000 over here:

Boxster 986 1996-2004 Projector LED Arrow R8 Headlight for PORSCHE | eBay