Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #1

FYI, Boxster Turbo's.

For anyone who was planning on installing a turbo on their box.

Turbowerx is no longer manufacturing or selling Boxster 2.5 and 3.2 turbo Kits.

They did not update their website in a long time so it looks like they are still making them. But I emailed them asking questions and they said they no longer make them anymore due to poor economy.

ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #2

turbokraft are selling what looks to be the same kit for the 3.2. from what i understand, turbokraft and werxs were once affiliated.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Does anyone on the forum have an aftermarket turbo installed? I'd love to hear about their experience.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

I'm sure someone has it either here or at pelicanparts, but only 4-5psi boost. Any higher and engine would blow since it is high compression.

A guy on cardomain has one. Red Boxster S 986 Turbo making well over 300HP at the wheels.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Garage
IMA Motorsport in Virginia claims to have developed a well designed twin turbo system, albeit a very expensive one, for 987 platform cars . I spoke with them about a year regarding a 986 application (more out of curiosity than anything). It was an interesting conversation to say the least. Here's a link to an ongoing thread about their system on
6Speed :

Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon - 6speedonline.com Forums
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #6

TPC Racing - See link below.

Porsche 986 Boxster Turbo System - TPC Racing

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade View Post
Wow, that kit costs $200 more than my car did when I bought it last year.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Wow, that kit costs $200 more than my car did when I bought it last year.
I looked into their system as well . I was turned off by the fact that their system is incompatible with the exhaust pattern of the 986 . Therefore, for those of us who have invested considerable time and money in aftermarket exhaust, we would basically have to throw it all away .
Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #9

Yes, you are correct JD. Lots of hidden costs that will bump the price tag up a few grand to have a correct install completed. If I were to ever have one installed, I would send it to TPC and have them do it to avoid complications.

See attached video of the engineer's explanation of the system for the 986.

TPC Racing : Boxster Turbo Test Drive and Interview - YouTube

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

JD, were expected gains from the twin turbo on the 986 discussed when you had a chance to talk to Ivan?

TPC claims with a single turbo 135 hp under 5.5 psi or so. I am curious about the twin set up. TIA
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 View Post
JD, were expected gains from the twin turbo on the 986 discussed when you had a chance to talk to Ivan?

TPC claims with a single turbo 135 hp under 5.5 psi or so. I am curious about the twin set up. TIA
In this application twin turbos help minimize turbo spool up time to prevent turbo lag. They won't add more boost or max horsepower. It's possible 2 turbos would help packaging due to the smaller size but I don't think so.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
In this application twin turbos help minimize turbo spool up time to prevent turbo lag. They won't add more boost or max horsepower. It's possible 2 turbos would help packaging due to the smaller size but I don't think so.
I agree it may just widen the power band some if design and engineered correctly. If I went turbo I definitely would go E85. Too bad not enough stations around here with that stuff
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #13

Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon - 6speedonline.com Forums

he's using aerochargers (variable vane turbo chargers) so lots of kick at small rpms but you're not going to get the same max hp as one big turbo. no oil lines to run, and the variable vanes mean no wastegate, but the turbos are $2k per unit. otherwise, two turbos mean no crossover pipe.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Does anyone on the forum have an aftermarket turbo installed? I'd love to hear about their experience.
Gary from Baton Rouge has a turbo 2.5l car with intercooler and last I heard he logged 200k miles on that original motor so he must have done it really well. About 5 years ago there were a bunch on the west coast but all ended with connecting rods sticking out of awkward places

PK2 has a supercharged 2.5L in Orange county that has survived well but he understands it's limitations and pushes it in small doses. Neither of these guys are track rats that push their cars to the limit during 5-25 minute track sessions/day.

After looking hard at this over the years and considering my driving style I will choose displacement over intake boost when the time comes. BYprodriver's 3.6L build looks interesting enough.

Last edited by Topless; 05-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Gary from Baton Rouge has a turbo 2.5l car with intercooler and last I heard he logged 200k miles on that original motor so he must have done it really well. About 5 years ago there were a bunch on the west coast but all ended with connecting rods sticking out of awkward places

PK2 has a supercharged 2.5L in Orange county that has survived well but he understands it's limitations and pushes it in small doses. Neither of these guys are track rats that push their cars to the limit during 5-25 minute track sessions/day.

After looking hard at this over the years and considering my driving style I will choose displacement over intake boost when the time comes. BYprodriver's 3.6L build looks interesting enough.
"There is no replacement for displacement" I'll be at the PCA OCR autoX May 20th if you want to checkout the net results.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote