986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   FYI, Boxster Turbo's. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31226-fyi-boxster-turbos.html)

ProjectM96 11-23-2011 06:33 AM

FYI, Boxster Turbo's.

For anyone who was planning on installing a turbo on their box.

Turbowerx is no longer manufacturing or selling Boxster 2.5 and 3.2 turbo Kits.

They did not update their website in a long time so it looks like they are still making them. But I emailed them asking questions and they said they no longer make them anymore due to poor economy.

The Radium King 11-23-2011 08:23 AM

turbokraft are selling what looks to be the same kit for the 3.2. from what i understand, turbokraft and werxs were once affiliated.

thstone 11-23-2011 08:48 AM

Does anyone on the forum have an aftermarket turbo installed? I'd love to hear about their experience.

ProjectM96 11-23-2011 09:01 AM

I'm sure someone has it either here or at pelicanparts, but only 4-5psi boost. Any higher and engine would blow since it is high compression.

A guy on cardomain has one. Red Boxster S 986 Turbo making well over 300HP at the wheels.

Johnny Danger 11-23-2011 11:01 AM

IMA Motorsport in Virginia claims to have developed a well designed twin turbo system, albeit a very expensive one, for 987 platform cars . I spoke with them about a year regarding a 986 application (more out of curiosity than anything). It was an interesting conversation to say the least. Here's a link to an ongoing thread about their system on
6Speed :

Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon - 6speedonline.com Forums

jwade 11-25-2011 05:56 AM

TPC Racing - See link below.

Porsche 986 Boxster Turbo System - TPC Racing

ProjectM96 11-25-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwade (Post 265676)

Wow, that kit costs $200 more than my car did when I bought it last year.

Johnny Danger 11-25-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96 (Post 265684)
Wow, that kit costs $200 more than my car did when I bought it last year.

I looked into their system as well . I was turned off by the fact that their system is incompatible with the exhaust pattern of the 986 . Therefore, for those of us who have invested considerable time and money in aftermarket exhaust, we would basically have to throw it all away . :(

jwade 11-25-2011 07:43 AM

Yes, you are correct JD. Lots of hidden costs that will bump the price tag up a few grand to have a correct install completed. If I were to ever have one installed, I would send it to TPC and have them do it to avoid complications.

See attached video of the engineer's explanation of the system for the 986.

TPC Racing : Boxster Turbo Test Drive and Interview - YouTube

coolbreeze551 05-07-2012 12:24 PM

JD, were expected gains from the twin turbo on the 986 discussed when you had a chance to talk to Ivan?

TPC claims with a single turbo 135 hp under 5.5 psi or so. I am curious about the twin set up. TIA

BYprodriver 05-07-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 (Post 289411)
JD, were expected gains from the twin turbo on the 986 discussed when you had a chance to talk to Ivan?

TPC claims with a single turbo 135 hp under 5.5 psi or so. I am curious about the twin set up. TIA

In this application twin turbos help minimize turbo spool up time to prevent turbo lag. They won't add more boost or max horsepower. It's possible 2 turbos would help packaging due to the smaller size but I don't think so.

healthservices 05-09-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 289444)
In this application twin turbos help minimize turbo spool up time to prevent turbo lag. They won't add more boost or max horsepower. It's possible 2 turbos would help packaging due to the smaller size but I don't think so.

I agree it may just widen the power band some if design and engineered correctly. If I went turbo I definitely would go E85. Too bad not enough stations around here with that stuff

The Radium King 05-09-2012 09:25 AM

Twin turbo kit for cayman coming soon - 6speedonline.com Forums

he's using aerochargers (variable vane turbo chargers) so lots of kick at small rpms but you're not going to get the same max hp as one big turbo. no oil lines to run, and the variable vanes mean no wastegate, but the turbos are $2k per unit. otherwise, two turbos mean no crossover pipe.

Topless 05-09-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 265442)
Does anyone on the forum have an aftermarket turbo installed? I'd love to hear about their experience.

Gary from Baton Rouge has a turbo 2.5l car with intercooler and last I heard he logged 200k miles on that original motor so he must have done it really well. About 5 years ago there were a bunch on the west coast but all ended with connecting rods sticking out of awkward places :o

PK2 has a supercharged 2.5L in Orange county that has survived well but he understands it's limitations and pushes it in small doses. Neither of these guys are track rats that push their cars to the limit during 5-25 minute track sessions/day.

After looking hard at this over the years and considering my driving style I will choose displacement over intake boost when the time comes. BYprodriver's 3.6L build looks interesting enough. :)

BYprodriver 05-09-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 289710)
Gary from Baton Rouge has a turbo 2.5l car with intercooler and last I heard he logged 200k miles on that original motor so he must have done it really well. About 5 years ago there were a bunch on the west coast but all ended with connecting rods sticking out of awkward places :o

PK2 has a supercharged 2.5L in Orange county that has survived well but he understands it's limitations and pushes it in small doses. Neither of these guys are track rats that push their cars to the limit during 5-25 minute track sessions/day.

After looking hard at this over the years and considering my driving style I will choose displacement over intake boost when the time comes. BYprodriver's 3.6L build looks interesting enough. :)

"There is no replacement for displacement" I'll be at the PCA OCR autoX May 20th if you want to checkout the net results. :)