Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Clearing Debris

Hi,

My car is now stored outside. It is regularly covered in pollen and leaves. Are there areas I should routinely check to prevent future issues with convertable top drainage or other problems?

I know the boxster has drainage plugs. Are these easy to access and clean? My local dealer mentioned a service they provide to prevent problems, but if possible I'd prefer to handle myself.

Also, has anyone else paid a dealer for this type service?

N.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
Try a cover #1

The drains are in the foam under the top. Put the top in service mode and look behind seats. Just keep that area clear and possible blow them out with air every now and then.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

nikki.... Very easy to do, should only take you 15 minutes with an air wand

There are 4 sets of drain holes - 2 @ each side of the rear and 2 @ the front (frunk).

Rear - put top into service position and look along each side where the top mechanism sits, you will see a soft foam lining with a drain hole which fills with leaves. You can tell if they are clear when you pour water down the hole, it will drain out just in front of the rear wheels.

Front - open bonnet (hood to you) and remove battery cover & both plastic covers each side of the battery. Again you should see 2 drains behind / side of battery case which should be clear of debris.
Check out mikesporscheboxsterwebpages (mikefocke2) for more details.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Vacuum the front air vents the best you can while you are at it.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Two weeks ago when it rained, both of my front drains were clogged and I had about 1/2in of standing water in the battery compartment. Used compressed air to blow the junk out of the lines and all is well again!

By the way, the drivers side front drain is obscured by the brake booster, you have to really look under there to find it.

Also be careful not to push the upper lip of the rubber grommet of the drain tube down into the hole in the frame or it can be difficult to get it back up so it seals. Ask me how I know.

Its also a good time to replace the cabin air filter while your under the front covers.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

Garage
I just used a shop vac to suck and blow the debris out. Everything was a-ok!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

I check the drains regularly. I've read reports of water making it's way into the brake booster due to clogged front drains.
rdc8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #8

my rear drain tubes seem to be clogged. but I cant get a hanger to pass through. so frustrating!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel View Post
my rear drain tubes seem to be clogged. but I cant get a hanger to pass through. so frustrating!
forget about the hanger.
the two holes are not aligned. just use your finger to push down or fish out the debris, and then some air pressure.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel View Post
Don't use a coat hanger. Get a bicycle brake cable and push the rounded end into the drain, will unclog anything.

And, there are two drains per side on the rear. The one in the foam is easy, but there is another one that is hard to find unless you know where it is. With the top in the service position, theres a 3/4 in by 3 inch piece between the door and the clamshell. Underneath that peice, there is another drain, hard to find.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Don't use a coat hanger. Get a bicycle brake cable and push the rounded end into the drain, will unclog anything.

And, there are two drains per side on the rear. The one in the foam is easy, but there is another one that is hard to find unless you know where it is. With the top in the service position, theres a 3/4 in by 3 inch piece between the door and the clamshell. Underneath that peice, there is another drain, hard to find.
WOW!
First time I hear about that.
Any chance you can post a pic?
I have a small amount of water coming in on the passenger side. Since both drains are clear ( the two in the foam that are very visible in service mode), I was assuming the top is leaking.
I just got back from the car ( after reading your post ) and I cannot find the extra two holes you are talking about.
Any help will be apriceated.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you Mr. MacGyver!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #13

I tried a wire much like a brake cable too, had no luck with that either. I swear when I first got the boxster years ago I was able to run he coat hanger through, think I even found an earring.
Will attempt some compressed air next. At a slight disadvantage at one of the top transmissions is broken so I cannot easily put the top in service position.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
WOW!
I have a small amount of water coming in on the passenger side. Since both drains are clear ( the two in the foam that are very visible in service mode), I was assuming the top is leaking.
I just got back from the car ( after reading your post ) and I cannot find the extra two holes you are talking about.
+1, any photos please.
Guvs
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #15

I use air only and after the air I poor a quart of water down each drain. Does the job. Now, go and buy a Tyvek full cover. You can them for around $60. They are lite and easy to use. Or go to California Pop-Top and get the Bikini version.:dance:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #16

I have a water resistant car cover. It's on the car when ever there is a chance of rain just n case

Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
WOW!
I'm a luddite when it comes to posting pictures but heres a better explanation. With the top in the service position, locate that little piece between the door and the clamshell. On the side that faces towards the rear of the car, feel around and you will find a small drain, it doesn't face down, it faces towards the body.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
I'm a luddite when it comes to posting pictures but heres a better explanation. With the top in the service position, locate that little piece between the door and the clamshell. On the side that faces towards the rear of the car, feel around and you will find a small drain, it doesn't face down, it faces towards the body.
thanks san.
i was looking towards the front of the car.
ill have a look again.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Two weeks ago when it rained, both of my front drains were clogged and I had about 1/2in of standing water in the battery compartment. Used compressed air to blow the junk out of the lines and all is well again!

By the way, the drivers side front drain is obscured by the brake booster, you have to really look under there to find it.

Also be careful not to push the upper lip of the rubber grommet of the drain tube down into the hole in the frame or it can be difficult to get it back up so it seals. Ask me how I know.

Its also a good time to replace the cabin air filter while your under the front covers.
I guess I need you help how did you get the upper grommet of the drain tube back up as push it all the way down is there a way to get to it anyone help will be appreciated
balsalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 AM   #20

another useful device to clear drains is stiff (larger dia) weed wacker line. It won't scratch or damage anything inside the drain hole. I don't like to run scratchy metal things inside the crevices of my cars, for fear of creating future rust points.

78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote