Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #1

18x10 ET50 rear wheel fitment please

I'm a new owner and member and looking into getting new wheels. I've been looking through the many posts regarding proper wheel fitment (+ getting a flush look) and wondering if someone can help me with my questions:

will 18x10 ET50 needs spacer on the rear (how much spacer I'll need to clear and
will 275x35x18 tires be a good fit (clearance?)
front is 18x9 ET45 (fitment ok?)

Front will get 225x40x18 and rear gets 275x35x18 tires

I have an '02 Boxster S currently running the stock 17" setup and all stock suspension (I may be lowering it a little at some point)

thank you in advance.

benr999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #2

Garage
You'll need to bring the rears down to at least +45 in order to correct the fitment. Also, the fronts will fit in their current size. However, if you're looking for a more flush appearance, I would bring the offset down to +40 to +35 .
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

I have 10" rears now. Definitely over 30 pounds like most 10" wheels, there is a significant decrease in accelaration. Gas mileage has gone down too by about 5 mpg. Additionally, not sure if this has to do with the winter tires, although I didn't notice this last year, the rears have a hard time hooking up from a stop if you get on the throttle too fast or if it's wet. I don't think this car like too much weight back there.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
I agree with Johnny for the spacers. Tire sizes should be fine.

Make sure you are doing the math for mileage for 275/35/18 rears would be 1.1% less than actual vs 265/35/18 and 2.2% worse than 255/40/17 depending what you compared it to previously.

Last edited by ABQautoxer; 04-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

thanks for the quick responses

so to bring my rear et50 offset down to +40, I'll need a 10mm spacer?

I thought about the weight, that's why with my budget (& current promo) I was thinking of Victor Innsbruck (spec weights are ~ 18lbs front and 20lbs rear) - are these better than stock? Anyone had these fitted or maybe Zehn -would love to see some pics. Any other wheel brand recommendation around Victor's pricing
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

You wont find too many 10mm spacers. Usually its 5,6,7,14,15,20. In your case a 7mm would do fine.

Not sure if you like the styling but the OZ Alleggerita HLT are nice wheels. 17lbs front, 20lbs rears in the right offsets, no spacers required. Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels carries them, not sure if others do. My advice is try very hard to find wheels that don't need spacers. I have, and do use spacers but whenever I get the chance not to use them I always pick that option unless its significantly more money or a style not available otherwise.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benr999 View Post
thanks for the quick responses

so to bring my rear et50 offset down to +40, I'll need a 10mm spacer?

I thought about the weight, that's why with my budget (& current promo) I was thinking of Victor Innsbruck (spec weights are ~ 18lbs front and 20lbs rear) - are these better than stock? Anyone had these fitted or maybe Zehn -would love to see some pics. Any other wheel brand recommendation around Victor's pricing
There are at least a couple of members with Victor Zehn's. Try a search . Nice wheel for the money .
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

Garage
Here's a thread .

The Before and After Thread
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

thanks for the link - yeah that red one with Zehn wheels was my first option then I saw one of the member's yellow car with a nice black wheel setup (think that was really way out of my price range) that's why I was considering the Innsbruck. Not sure how much the Zehn really weights (not in their website). I personally don't like the OZ Alleggerita HLT, and Tire Rack wants almost double the Victor's price.

Wheel Dynamics mentioned that they'll be getting these rims for the Boxster before end of the month - I really like the style, but waiting from them for the actual specs and pricing

Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #10

Garage
You must mean this one .
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
thanks for the link - yeah that red one with Zehn wheels was my first option then I saw one of the member's yellow car with a nice black wheel setup (think that was really way out of my price range) that's why I was considering the Innsbruck. Not sure how much the Zehn really weights (not in their website). I personally don't like the OZ Alleggerita HLT, and Tire Rack wants almost double the Victor's price.

Wheel Dynamics mentioned that they'll be getting these rims for the Boxster before end of the month - I really like the style, but waiting from them for the actual specs and pricing

It's hard to know what the actual weights for the Zehn wheels are without consulting Victor. However, based on the specs they provide for the Innsbruck wheels, those weights are very impressive indeed .
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #12

Johnny, so that was yours -so I have you to thank trying to spend some $$
for some reason it paints a picture in my mind of a yellow shark getting fed by salmon and steak

so the 808-Series for Boxster are 19" only (I'm not quite ready yet) they weigh 25lbs/27lbs. - is that comparable with the stock wheels?

I think I'll stick with the Victor either Innsbruck or Zehn. Assuming the Innsbruck weights less than the Zehn, is there a benefit on using 275x35 vs 265x35 - which tire is recommended for rear 18x10

btw, Zehn wheels have 18x8 et45 and 18x9.5 et49 that supposed to fit with no spacers. Not sure if thats' what the red box (986rgt) has
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Johnny, so that was yours -so I have you to thank trying to spend some $$
for some reason it paints a picture in my mind of a yellow shark getting fed by salmon and steak

so the 808-Series for Boxster are 19" only (I'm not quite ready yet) they weigh 25lbs/27lbs. - is that comparable with the stock wheels?

I think I'll stick with the Victor either Innsbruck or Zehn. Assuming the Innsbruck weights less than the Zehn, is there a benefit on using 275x35 vs 265x35 - which tire is recommended for rear 18x10

btw, Zehn wheels have 18x8 et45 and 18x9.5 et49 that supposed to fit with no spacers. Not sure if thats' what the red box (986rgt) has
The offsets regarding the Zehn wheels are fine. However, you may want to add spacers in order to gain a more "flush" look . As far as 986RGT's vehicle is concerned, if I recall correctly, he has 19's on his vehicle. But, I'm not absolutely sure . I recommend that you send him a PM and ask. He's a very amiable guy, and I'm sure that he would be more than willing to give you his input . Regarding tire size choices, I run 235's up front and 275's in the rear . I've found that this combination creates an excellent balance for "street" performance .
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #14

Garage
Another thread that might be helpful.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/27571-wheel-type.html
Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #15

thanks JD for the link - Zehn actually makes the 18" look a little bigger. Can you post a close-up picture of your wheels if you don't mind. I'm waiting for 986rgt's pm response.

I ran into this Forgestar F14 (which I also like) and ended up calling them. The price is slightly more than Victor (though eta is 6-8weeks), but they customize the offsets for you so no spacers necessary (technicians @ the factory will figure it out for you based on your requirements - stock setup, mod suspension, lowered, tire size, agressive/flush look, etc). They'll guarantee fitment this way. Or if you really know what you want, I guess you can give it to them.

Their specs look pretty impressive for the price (i.e 18x8.5 ET48 = 17.6 lbs, 18x10 ET42 = 18.2 lbs). Some questions:
anyone who used these wheels before
will 18x8.5 Front fit with no issues at all - any downside compared to 18x8
what would be the ideal offsets (attaining a "flush" look) if I go with 18x.85 and 18.10 setup

What do you guys think of this Forgestar F14 on a 987 - think these are 19s but looks nice

Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
thanks JD for the link - Zehn actually makes the 18" look a little bigger. Can you post a close-up picture of your wheels if you don't mind. I'm waiting for 986rgt's pm response.

I ran into this Forgestar F14 (which I also like) and ended up calling them. The price is slightly more than Victor (though eta is 6-8weeks), but they customize the offsets for you so no spacers necessary (technicians @ the factory will figure it out for you based on your requirements - stock setup, mod suspension, lowered, tire size, agressive/flush look, etc). They'll guarantee fitment this way. Or if you really know what you want, I guess you can give it to them.

Their specs look pretty impressive for the price (i.e 18x8.5 ET48 = 17.6 lbs, 18x10 ET42 = 18.2 lbs). Some questions:
anyone who used these wheels before
will 18x8.5 Front fit with no issues at all - any downside compared to 18x8
what would be the ideal offsets (attaining a "flush" look) if I go with 18x.85 and 18.10 setup

What do you guys think of this Forgestar F14 on a 987 - think these are 19s but looks nice

There's at least a couple of members here with Forgestars . As far as size and offset (s) are concerned, either an 8 or an 8.5 inch wheel will fit fine. With the correct offset, my preference would be the 8.5 inch wheel . Keep in mind, however, I would not rely solely on Forgestar's advice alone when choosing fitment . I recall one case, wherein they made a bad recommendation to a forum member regarding offset . If, indeed, you decide to purchase a set, I recommend that you consult some forum members before deciding on a fitment spec . Suspension set-up, tire size, ride height ect... play a critical role in deciding the correct offset .
Old 04-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #17

Forgestars are popular on other forums and all the reviews/comments I have seen have been positive. I've considered a set for my Genesis Coupe several times and still do. They also have a 5 spoke design you might like called the CF5 Forgestar Wheels Custom Rotary Forged Flow Formed Concave Performance Wheels.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Their specs look pretty impressive for the price (i.e 18x8.5 ET48 = 17.6 lbs, 18x10 ET42 = 18.2 lbs)
18" lbs. !!!!

how much are they asking? I might have to get a polished set of these for winter.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

Forgestar came back with this customized fitment - doest it look acceptable (with no suspension mods to start with, flush look and use 225 and 265 tires):
18x8.5 +46 18x10 +35

ABQautoxer, which forums were you talking about - didn't see much discussions here (waiting for a another PM response fr a member)

They're asking for $1359 (+$100 shipping)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #20

They are non-Porsche forums. Here's the one I see talked about the most:

Wheels, Tires and Brakes - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

BTW that price is very good considering the rare fitment of the Porsche. I'm not sure about the offsets but I _think_ they are ok or at least close.