Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Who HASN'T done the IMS Retrofit (and why not)?

There's a lot of talk about who HAS done the LN Retrofit for the IMS issue, but I have yet to find a consolidated list of people who haven't, including their reasoning why. Most of these responses are sprinkled through dozens of other posts and I thought it would be convenient to judge the overall sentiment through a post like this.

I haven't because I'm just holding out until I need a new clutch to save $$ on the labor. I do plan on doing it though.

Is there anyone who doesn't plan on doing it at all!?

dblaalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #2

Garage
Have not; Have had my Boxster for 6 months, and the PPI showed it would probably need a clutch within a year; Like you, I'm waiting for then to get it done. I'll probably just find a convenient time this summer with my independent shop, and get it all done.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #3

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:24 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #4

[QUOTE=madmods;283635]Haha sport cars huh!

1) I don't fix what's not broken
2) I don't normally get easily influenced by those in the business of changing parts
3) I follow official reports and figures - in this case they are very low, or still non-existent
4) I couldn't care less even if the car itself would blow up, I'd get another one tomorrow
5) A car is for driving, and life is for living

I've not rebuilt, nor do I lay awake at night worrying about it. Madmods said it best.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #5

This is my 6th summer with my Boxster... I have 70k miles (had 30k when I bought it) and I don't worry about it. I drive it like its supposed to be driven. So far my oil filers are clean of metal debris If it happens, it happens... I'll deal with it if and when that time comes. If I need a clutch at any point I would probably do it though...
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #6

I am at 86,000 miles in my 2000 Box. Haven't done the IMS and don't plan to anytime soon. I also drive my car like its meant to be driven. Always revving high, turning fast, accelerating as fast as I can each time I drive it. When I did oil change at 80k, the oil filter had no debris.

Plus, I hear the IMS issue is due to maunfacturing tolerances problems. Some were not in the correct tolerances and some were. It's impossible that all Boxsters were effected.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #7

Simple math; I have no interest in working on this car (been there, done a buncha that with previous sportscars.) I would probably use Raby for the job since they're close, and it is appx $3500, or was last year when I checked. That is about 25% of the cost of a new motor. I do not believe there is a 25% chance that any random motor will go. I've owned this 2004 S since new, now have 39k miles, have kept up the oil changes more frequently than factory. Finally, if it goes, it goes. I won't be skipping with joy, but it won't change a thing in my life. Put a new motor in and be done with it.

And there's a good chance I'll trade it on a 981 if I really like them, and the LNE bearing won't bring me anything when I trade. If I decide to keep the 04, I'll wait till a clutch is needed, then install the LN bearing at that time, since the cost goes down dramatically and it statistically beginns to make sense.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
unless you're already in there and/or have lots of disposable income.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #9

Im leaving for 9 months so I decided to bite the bullet and have it done since my wife would not know what warning signs to look for or anything. Plus the shop then can point out any other issues they find that might need attention in the future (or immediate) I got a call yesterday and they said my flywheel should be replaced at my next clutch change.

my car was also a candidate for failure (fairly low miles, long oil change intervals at about a year each, infrequently drove during the wet season, its a single row, etc)
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Haha sport cars huh!

2) I don't normally get easily influenced by those in the business of changing parts
3) I follow official reports and figures - in this case they are very low, or still non-existent
4) I couldn't care less even if the car itself would blow up, I'd get another one tomorrow
5) A car is for driving, and life is for living

I do have the double-row IMS bearing sitting here however. Been here for the last 12 months or so. I was waiting for a valid reason to drop the tranny so I can fit it. However plan changed after confirming a severe cam deviation (-3 degree in less than 15k) in an engine with less than 70k, and other little things which (for my taste) clearly show that this is not one of those perfectly manufactured motor!

I'm at the stage where I do not know whether I should drop the the 2.5L and rebuilt it myself (as a hobby... love gasket kits!) -OR- just enjoy it until it blows up and then mount a 3.4L fully rebuilt engine.

Car stories for you brotha. Good luck with yours!
Yes I agree 100% with this. I have weakened and had installed the IMS Guardian though. PPI said fine oil mist on rear of engine and bell housing. Is that a ploy to get me to install new RMS, ims job and new clutch while in there? When the Guardian warning goes off , then a new IMS. Otherwise I drive my 2001 Boxster base hard when conditions permit. Good post. Great thoughts.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #11

55K on my car and not planning on doing any repairs on it until it really needs it. As Madmods stated, "don't fix what is not broke." Bought the car new in 2007, change the oil every 5K, and drive it daily.

When I was a 'new' Porsche owner in 2007, this forum scared the hell out of me with all the predictions of IMS failures and water pump replacements, etc. I thought I had spent $70K for a piece of junk that could blow up any minute. Folks were recommeding to fix it now before it breaks. I was worrying all the time and seriously thinking about getting rid of this car and buying something more reliable - maybe Japanese. But, bottom line, those days are gone. I have accepted that this is just a car. It is still running and still being driven daily AND life is for living and not worrying about something that may happen.

Don't fix until it is broke and drive it like it is supposed to be driven.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
2002 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Yes I agree 100% with this. I have weakened and had installed the IMS Guardian though. PPI said fine oil mist on rear of engine and bell housing. Is that a ploy to get me to install new RMS, ims job and new clutch while in there? When the Guardian warning goes off , then a new IMS. Otherwise I drive my 2001 Boxster base hard when conditions permit. Good post. Great thoughts.
I have been wondering about this "When the Guardian warning goes off"... doesn't that mean that it's already too late ? Bits of metal floating around in your sump means quite a bit of damage has been done already surely ?
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
My brother did his clutch 1.5 years ago and has no plans to get in there again unless something breaks. California car, 4k oil chg intervals, filter inspected and always clean.

I needed to replace the clutch and trans on my car last fall so while we were in there...
My old IMS bearing looked to be in very fine shape at 98k miles though.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #14

Have not done it. My car is 2.5L with a tip, never heard problems on that combo with a low mileage. Maybe then I reach 100 000km, I will change a new original style bearing and oils to the tip.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #15

my dual row bearing was in PERFECT condition when it was replaced with the LN IMS.

But I think that's almost irrelvant. If there's a shop that has enough business to go through the time-consuming and expensive process of inventing a contraption that will act as an early warning system, then clearly there is an above normal amount of catastrophic engine problems occurring.

Whether it was a manufacturing flawe or design flawe is also nearly irrelevant to me. The Porsche engineering dudes got their calculations wrong somewhere and then apparently, made things worse after they realized their initial error (single row bearing). Then you find out that you can spend $1,200 to do something about all this and you're still not going to? Personally I would do it with the clutch, even if you're old clutch is still good, and tell yourself you're good for another 100K miles with some engine maintenance as a side benefit.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #16

I am waiting for it to blow so I can get a new engine. Or, I drive it and don't worry as I was advised by a Porsche mechanic.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #17

Not until my IMS guardian tells me to..
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
I have been wondering about this "When the Guardian warning goes off"... doesn't that mean that it's already too late ? Bits of metal floating around in your sump means quite a bit of damage has been done already surely ?
Yes Terry I understand your question. I think that LN engineering has done enough research to show that the detection of metal buildup is occurring before an actual IMS disintegration. The makers have way better explanations than this layperson. For me it is a form of insurance. When the warning horn/lite goes on pull over asap.

I have spent $2k on my 2001 Boxster last year and assuming nothing goes wrong, I am only spending minimal on real Porsche coolant this year.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Rennzenn

Garage
I bought my 2000 Box S in Feb 06 and it had 60,000 miles. I'm now at 152,xxx. Last year at 142,000 I had to pull the trans to fix the second gear synchros, so I had a nice look at the back of the engine. The RMS had a well established but dry velveting, so I left that alone. The IMS was dry as a bone. 140,000 miles of dirt, but no signs of oil.
With this many miles and five years of hard autocrossing, the engine doesn't owe me anything. When the time comes, she'll be rebuilt to add some serious power, and then I'll do the bearing, along with everything else.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #20

I have had my 97 for 3 years now and it has 82k on the clock. Its a 5 speed and it still feels solid. I drive it daily and I maintain via oil changes and any other necessary repairs. If it goes, it goes and I will then repair it. 3 years of pleasureable driving will not make me change how i feel. Hope it doesnt happen but if it does, then it does.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote