Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #1

I had so much creaking and moaning it was embarrassing! I went ahead and replaced all 4 lower arms (wishbones), 2 control arms in front, 2 track rods in front, 2 outer tie rods in front, 2 control arms in rear, 2 track rods in rear. Replaced all 4 sway bar drop links. I also changed the 2 front sway bar bushing and 2 rear sway bar bushings. I found it very difficult to assess the state of the parts but, when I removed them they were all shot. The ball joints on the tie rod and wishbones were totally gone. Vertex uses polyeurathane bushings in some. I think they are good but will know after 30k miles I guess.

FWIW, I also bought a set of 4 shocks, springs and 2 sway bars from another member with about 20k on them, When I removed mine they seemed equal in spring back as mine (90k) except they were better cosmetically. I installed them anyway. So, suspension wise I should be good for another 4-5 years hopefully.

For the noise you are reporting I'd check to make sure all your bolts are right torque and that your sway bar bushing is in good shape. Then go on from there. I found that my strut to body bolts were not right torque. I could remove them with my fingers. I guess they do come loose.

Vertex sold me a rebuilt kit of all the arms and track rods for 995. Saved about 350 from individual price. If you need less parts they would probably do a smaller kit for you.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #2

That is a ton of great information! Thanks! I will be under the car this weekend with this thread open on my iphone
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
I found that my strut to body bolts were not right torque. I could remove them with my fingers. I guess they do come loose.
The nut on top of the strut also can be loose, making a nasty clanking noises.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
The nut on top of the strut also can be loose, making a nasty clanking noises.

Where's this nut located, exactly?