Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

2001 986 S no engine value??

Hey guys

I have a white with tan 2001 boxster s

the engine is gone, started as a rebuild from a rod then was going to use a used replacement. Now it has no engine and I dont have the money to get it going.

The car has <110k and is good condition. Everything is there (other than the stereo and front speakers, i stole them for another car). engine accessories are included (it would take a long block to get it going).

The body is pretty good, the bumpers are off an need to be re-sprayed (from paint cracking). Other than that I had a top with a glass window installed a couple years ago.

Does anyone have a clue what it is worth? or interest?

Thanks for the Help, I can take pictures and add them later.

Location, Milwaukee area Wisconsin.

johnnyd8998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

A 2001 S with 110,000 miles is worth about $10K in fair-to-good condition (missing speakers/head unit and needing paint). Substract about $6-7K for a replacement engine and you're looking at around $3K for it as a roller.

The problem with selling a roller is that the buyer can't easily check any of the other systems (transmission, electrical, cooling, etc) without the engine running so they will automatically assume that there are other problems with the car - which results in a low price.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
A 2001 S with 110,000 miles is worth about $10K in fair-to-good condition (missing speakers/head unit and needing paint). Substract about $6-7K for a replacement engine and you're looking at around $3K for it as a roller.

The problem with selling a roller is that the buyer can't easily check any of the other systems (transmission, electrical, cooling, etc) without the engine running so they will automatically assume that there are other problems with the car - which results in a low price.
I have to agree with this. I would put the value at $2500-$3000 considering the fact that the transaxle could be questionable at that mileage.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

I disagree, the bumpers need work, all other parts are high mileage, stereo speakers and stereo need replacement. I sold a perfect roller with numerous upgrades for 3K. If indeed you do get 3 for it consider it a gift.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I disagree, the bumpers need work, all other parts are high mileage, stereo speakers and stereo need replacement. I sold a perfect roller with numerous upgrades for 3K. If indeed you do get 3 for it consider it a gift.
I was trying to be optimistic based on his location and his local market value. Personally, I would only give him $2000 considering the cost of transporting a vehicle that doesn't move under it's own power. Thats based on the fact that I can find local cars in similar condition for $3000-$3500 with fewer miles.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #6

All car accessories must be in good condition and need its maintenance. We should all learn to take car of our cars.
isabelaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Welcome isalbelaB, That is sound advise for certain. As you hang around longer you will get to know people that exceed that benchmark already and then some. If they had a LaZy Boy for the 986 someone in here would have their car in it with a tall glass of 0-40 , picture posted to blog.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #8

you will make much more money parting it!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #9

You could try writing a letter to the CEO of Porsche and see if they will warranty the engine...sorry I couldn't resist. I'll be quiet now.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Welcome isalbelaB, That is sound advise for certain. As you hang around longer you will get to know people that exceed that benchmark already and then some. If they had a LaZy Boy for the 986 someone in here would have their car in it with a tall glass of 0-40 , picture posted to blog.
I prefer 5W-40.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I prefer 5W-40.

Your oil is pretty dark looking you probably need to change it.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Your oil is pretty dark looking you probably need to change it.
Sharp eye... Used motor oil tastes better.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote