Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

4 post lift for engine/transmission work

Gents,
I've got the lift I want picked out and decided on a 4 post "storage" lift for a number of reasons. What I'm wondering is if engine and transmission work can be performed without much fuss on a 4 post. Mainly, can the transmission be removed if needed?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Sweet idea and your in San Antonio so whatever you get is fine by me. Its a short drive if I ever need to park/work

Congrats and I wish I had the room for one.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Gents,
I've got the lift I want picked out and decided on a 4 post "storage" lift for a number of reasons. What I'm wondering is if engine and transmission work can be performed without much fuss on a 4 post. Mainly, can the transmission be removed if needed?
Depends upon the design of the lift.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

one of the finalists: 4 Post Lifts | CL 8,000 CSP 8,000 LB. Four Post Vehicle / Automotive / Truck / Car Garage Lift (Portable)
Old 03-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Garage
I prefer to do suspension and gearbox work on a two post lift. Can it be done on a four post, yes but it is harder than on a two post. You end up ducking under the damned thing all day and you will hit your head.

Next to nothing it is pure luxury but when you have a two and a four post the four post gets used for general inspections and oil changes. Everything else happens on the two post.

People like a four post because it seems safer but I have seen cars almost roll off of the four post. You can dump a car off of anything but once you get used to it a two post is better for working, a four for storage.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

I agree, but this one will be used for storage when not in use (914 needs to sleep somewhere lol )

there's additional hydraulic lifts that can lift the car off the 4 post if needed, so that's my "suspension" work solution when it comes to it. I like 2 posts, but they require mounting the lift and an adequate slab for mounting.

i decided on the 4 as i wont necessarily need to mount it (portable) and my dad's shop has the slab for that one.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #7

Garage
We have the air powered scissor lifts for the four post which allows us to raise the wheels front and rear and they work fine. A little scary when you are leaning under to let them down. The good thing for the boxster is you can hit the lift points pretty easily with them, they have extensions you can use as well if stuff is in the way like headers.

Like I said it beats the hell out of jack stands and if it serves all of your needs then I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

A word of advice, always chock at least one wheel, I had a truck with a bad park pawl that almost rolled off the end of our four post, I just about crapped myself but was able to stop it before disaster struck.

You will love having your own lift!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

I have a 2 poster for storage and working, in my home garage. it takes up less room but it did require floor mounting.

I tried the 4 post in the past but my garage was not wide enough, the 2 post fits in easy, we did build the roof high for it to fit!!

You can just see another car above on the ramp in storage

Last edited by Splitpin; 03-03-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

mini fetish? lol
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #10

5 in total
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

One word of caution. If you go with a two post lift you need to be absolutely certain of the quality of your floor. Builders around here throw all sorts of debris in the garage floor and driveway when they're being poured so they won't have to use as much cement. Not structurally sound at all. No way I'd put a two post lift on any of those floors.

Steve
BerneseMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Registered Boxster abuser

I think if I got another lift, this would be it.

Full rise automotive scissor lifts at discount prices from Automotive Service Equipment

but a 4 post does have it's positive points.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #13

Agreed I laid the floor slab myself and ensured its reinforced and nearly 500mm thick where the ramp sits
Old 03-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Gents,
As long as you can lift the rear wheels and still be able to remove the front bolts of the diagonal braces. Should be OK.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
If you have not pulled the trigger, take a look at mid rise lifts. I just received my from Gregg Smith Equipment. Easy to drop and engine and tranny, enough room to get to all the critical points, 6600lbs lifting capacity and to boot...its portable (well sort of...as 1060lbs of lift can be).

Four days from date of order to my home.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #16

I've had 8 lifts in total. (owned an import shop for 8+ years.) 4 post, 2 post and scissor lifts. Even had a mid lift I got from an old Volvo dealer years ago.

The best by far, if your floor will support it is a 2 post lift. Either a Rotary or Bendpak. Best quality lifts I've ever bought. They just give you way more room to move around under as well as better access to the car your working on. If you do decide to get a 2 post make sure it's an open floor model. As the "hump" that is on the floor of the non open floor models make it a bugger to move a loaded jack stand over!

Even if your not sure on the floor and good contractor can come in a cut and pour in a good base into your existing floor.

Now there is a 2 post portable lift if you want to be able to move it. It's the MaxJax. It requires anchors to be put into your floor but it can be rolled out of the way after you use it. Great little lift. A buddy of mine has one at his home and loves it.
Hawkeye71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #17

How high is your roof??
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
If you have not pulled the trigger, take a look at mid rise lifts. I just received my from Gregg Smith Equipment. Easy to drop and engine and tranny, enough room to get to all the critical points, 6600lbs lifting capacity and to boot...its portable (well sort of...as 1060lbs of lift can be).

Four days from date of order to my home.
With an 8' ceiling in my garage, I was looking at the mid-lifts myself.
What jobs would I NOT be able to do on my Boxster with one of these?
Weird thought: for the jobs that the mid-lift would be in the way, would I be able to lift the car then lower the car onto jack stands & slide the lift out of the way?)
UNYboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I have yet to find anything I cannot do...

About $1400 from Greg Smith.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 03-06-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #20

As you know that the weight of the engines is very heavy so it requires a very heavy lifters to lift the engines to repair. It requires a very high quality lifters which are made of high quality material. If you want to buy good quality lifts then you can get it from any company easily.

zacharym is offline   Reply With Quote