986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   4 post lift for engine/transmission work (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/34182-4-post-lift-engine-transmission-work.html)

stateofidleness 03-03-2012 01:41 PM

4 post lift for engine/transmission work

Gents,
I've got the lift I want picked out and decided on a 4 post "storage" lift for a number of reasons. What I'm wondering is if engine and transmission work can be performed without much fuss on a 4 post. Mainly, can the transmission be removed if needed?

97 Boxster 03-03-2012 01:45 PM

Sweet idea and your in San Antonio so whatever you get is fine by me. Its a short drive if I ever need to park/work :)

Congrats and I wish I had the room for one.

JFP in PA 03-03-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stateofidleness (Post 280977)
Gents,
I've got the lift I want picked out and decided on a 4 post "storage" lift for a number of reasons. What I'm wondering is if engine and transmission work can be performed without much fuss on a 4 post. Mainly, can the transmission be removed if needed?

Depends upon the design of the lift.

stateofidleness 03-03-2012 02:17 PM

one of the finalists: 4 Post Lifts | CL 8,000 CSP 8,000 LB. Four Post Vehicle / Automotive / Truck / Car Garage Lift (Portable)

landrovered 03-03-2012 03:12 PM

I prefer to do suspension and gearbox work on a two post lift. Can it be done on a four post, yes but it is harder than on a two post. You end up ducking under the damned thing all day and you will hit your head.

Next to nothing it is pure luxury but when you have a two and a four post the four post gets used for general inspections and oil changes. Everything else happens on the two post.

People like a four post because it seems safer but I have seen cars almost roll off of the four post. You can dump a car off of anything but once you get used to it a two post is better for working, a four for storage.

stateofidleness 03-03-2012 03:18 PM

I agree, but this one will be used for storage when not in use (914 needs to sleep somewhere lol :))

there's additional hydraulic lifts that can lift the car off the 4 post if needed, so that's my "suspension" work solution when it comes to it. I like 2 posts, but they require mounting the lift and an adequate slab for mounting.

i decided on the 4 as i wont necessarily need to mount it (portable) and my dad's shop has the slab for that one.

landrovered 03-03-2012 03:28 PM

We have the air powered scissor lifts for the four post which allows us to raise the wheels front and rear and they work fine. A little scary when you are leaning under to let them down. The good thing for the boxster is you can hit the lift points pretty easily with them, they have extensions you can use as well if stuff is in the way like headers.

Like I said it beats the hell out of jack stands and if it serves all of your needs then I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

A word of advice, always chock at least one wheel, I had a truck with a bad park pawl that almost rolled off the end of our four post, I just about crapped myself but was able to stop it before disaster struck.

You will love having your own lift!

Splitpin 03-03-2012 08:30 PM

I have a 2 poster for storage and working, in my home garage. it takes up less room but it did require floor mounting.

I tried the 4 post in the past but my garage was not wide enough, the 2 post fits in easy, we did build the roof high for it to fit!!

You can just see another car above on the ramp in storage :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/568af744-fddb-d494.jpg

stateofidleness 03-03-2012 08:54 PM

mini fetish? lol

Splitpin 03-04-2012 12:34 AM

5 in total :)

BerneseMtnDog 03-04-2012 10:54 AM

One word of caution. If you go with a two post lift you need to be absolutely certain of the quality of your floor. Builders around here throw all sorts of debris in the garage floor and driveway when they're being poured so they won't have to use as much cement. Not structurally sound at all. No way I'd put a two post lift on any of those floors.

Steve

healthservices 03-04-2012 11:48 AM

I think if I got another lift, this would be it.

Full rise automotive scissor lifts at discount prices from Automotive Service Equipment

but a 4 post does have it's positive points.

Splitpin 03-04-2012 12:35 PM

Agreed I laid the floor slab myself and ensured its reinforced and nearly 500mm thick where the ramp sits

Paul 03-04-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stateofidleness (Post 280977)
Gents,

As long as you can lift the rear wheels and still be able to remove the front bolts of the diagonal braces. Should be OK.

Eric G 03-05-2012 05:40 AM

If you have not pulled the trigger, take a look at mid rise lifts. I just received my from Gregg Smith Equipment. Easy to drop and engine and tranny, enough room to get to all the critical points, 6600lbs lifting capacity and to boot...its portable (well sort of...as 1060lbs of lift can be).

Four days from date of order to my home.

Hawkeye71 03-05-2012 06:44 AM

I've had 8 lifts in total. (owned an import shop for 8+ years.) 4 post, 2 post and scissor lifts. Even had a mid lift I got from an old Volvo dealer years ago.

The best by far, if your floor will support it is a 2 post lift. Either a Rotary or Bendpak. Best quality lifts I've ever bought. They just give you way more room to move around under as well as better access to the car your working on. If you do decide to get a 2 post make sure it's an open floor model. As the "hump" that is on the floor of the non open floor models make it a bugger to move a loaded jack stand over!

Even if your not sure on the floor and good contractor can come in a cut and pour in a good base into your existing floor.

Now there is a 2 post portable lift if you want to be able to move it. It's the MaxJax. It requires anchors to be put into your floor but it can be rolled out of the way after you use it. Great little lift. A buddy of mine has one at his home and loves it.

Splitpin 03-05-2012 10:00 AM

How high is your roof??

UNYboater 03-06-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 281178)
If you have not pulled the trigger, take a look at mid rise lifts. I just received my from Gregg Smith Equipment. Easy to drop and engine and tranny, enough room to get to all the critical points, 6600lbs lifting capacity and to boot...its portable (well sort of...as 1060lbs of lift can be).

Four days from date of order to my home.

With an 8' ceiling in my garage, I was looking at the mid-lifts myself.
What jobs would I NOT be able to do on my Boxster with one of these?
Weird thought: for the jobs that the mid-lift would be in the way, would I be able to lift the car then lower the car onto jack stands & slide the lift out of the way?)

Paul 03-06-2012 06:54 PM

I have yet to find anything I cannot do...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...t/P3120039.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...t/P3120033.jpg

About $1400 from Greg Smith.

zacharym 10-31-2012 12:13 AM

As you know that the weight of the engines is very heavy so it requires a very heavy lifters to lift the engines to repair. It requires a very high quality lifters which are made of high quality material. If you want to buy good quality lifts then you can get it from any company easily.