Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

IMS bearing grease

Changed the transmission oil today and checked for deposits of grease around the drain plug.There was a very thin film of dark highly viscous depsoit ,not sure if its grease.Is it normal to have this kind of deposit or is most likely the grease washed out from IMS bearing.car has 75k miles on it

tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

Garage
No offense but if you are going to attempt to draw a line from the stuff on your finger to the grease packed in the factory IMS bearing 75k miles ago then you need to seek therapy because you have IMS OCD. Just sell the car now and avoid all the heartache and suffering.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Garage
FYI there is no way for the grease from the IMS to get into the gearbox casing. The IMS is behind the flywheel on the block.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Garage
As I say to the team I work with...there is no dumb question. Belittling someone keeps people from asking question and getting answers they need.

To answer your question Tenre, the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing is in the engine block. It's location is totally separate from the gear box. The residual lubricant you encountered might be coming from a leaking rear main seal (RMS) and blowing down the bottom of the transmission as you drive.

If you smell the oil, old 90wt hypoid tranny oil stinks...if there's no smell then it's probably engine oil and an investigation as to it's origin is warranted.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

There is no grease in the IMS bearings.... oil filled.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

that looks like good ol' road grime to me.....or maybe you need to replace the crush washer on the drain plug
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyx View Post
There is no grease in the IMS bearings.... oil filled.
Sorry bro, it's a grease filled seal bearing. The problem is the seal fails and the grease is flung and washed out by the engine oil. Engine oil does not have the viscosity (lubricating properties) of grease. In time the bearing fails, comes apart in the carrier and then the IMS starts telling the valves to kiss the pistons...game over.:ah:
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Sorry bro, it's a grease filled seal bearing. The problem is the seal fails and the grease is flung and washed out by the engine oil. Engine oil does not have the viscosity (lubricating properties) of grease. In time the bearing fails, comes apart in the carrier and then the IMS starts telling the valves to kiss the pistons...game over.:ah:
Are you sure about that? Do you have an IMS bearing with grease in it? I didn't say engine oil.....
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
As I say to the team I work with...there is no dumb question. Belittling someone keeps people from asking question and getting answers they need.

To answer your question Tenre, the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing is in the engine block. It's location is totally separate from the gear box. The residual lubricant you encountered might be coming from a leaking rear main seal (RMS) and blowing down the bottom of the transmission as you drive.

If you smell the oil, old 90wt hypoid tranny oil stinks...if there's no smell then it's probably engine oil and an investigation as to it's origin is warranted.
Explains my findings. Got to say that lying under the car with a light is like watching the stars on a clear night. See too many things. I was wondering where all the oil on the transmission side and under was coming from. Figured it was blowing all over. You comfirmed it.

Dumb question though , I see oil on the back passenger side corner of the tranny. There os a sensor in the back of the tranny amd it also seems oily. Could that be the source? Can it be fixed?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #10

Garage
Tenere my comment was not directed wholey at you and there really are no dumb questions. This is a continuing argument about how each of us deal with IMS as an issue. IMS-OCD is not a myth, this thread proves it is real once and for all. You are new to the forum but have read enough about IMS to be in the paranoid phase. Fortunately for you there are three good options, the LN retrofit, the Pelican IMS and the Gaurdian. Please choose one or more options and the you may continue to enjoy your Porsche as the good Dr. intended.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #11

The tranny has ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenere View Post
Changed the transmission oil today and checked for deposits of grease around the drain plug.There was a very thin film of dark highly viscous depsoit ,not sure if its grease.Is it normal to have this kind of deposit or is most likely the grease washed out from IMS bearing.car has 75k miles on it

... the same type of sealed bearings as the engine's IMS.
That sludge on the bottom most like is grease that has leaked out.
With 75K miles your tranny should still be fine.
Mine has had 4 oil changes in its 216,000 mile life and although it now whines a bit, it's still solid.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... the same type of sealed bearings as the engine's IMS.
That sludge on the bottom most like is grease that has leaked out.
With 75K miles your tranny should still be fine.
Mine has had 4 oil changes in its 216,000 mile life and although it now whines a bit, it's still solid.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Yep. And some recommend you perform a "rectal exam" on the tranny (that really sounds bad, I know). Theres a magnet just in front of the drain hole, toward the engine. Stick a finger up there and scoop out as much of the sludge that collects there.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #13

Garage
[QUOTE=Bala;279869]Explains my findings. Got to say that lying under the car with a light is like watching the stars on a clear night. See too many things. I was wondering where all the oil on the transmission side and under was coming from. Figured it was blowing all over. You comfirmed it.

Dumb question though , I see oil on the back passenger side corner of the tranny. There os a sensor in the back of the tranny amd it also seems oily. Could that be the source? Can it be fixed?[/QUOTE]

I have a Tiptronic so I don't know what the senor is that you're talking about. It could simply be the reverse back-up light switch. Whatever it is I'm sure it can be removed and a new gasket or seal replaced. Clean around it real good first with like carb spray (protect your eyes) and a brush to get all the dirt and gunk away from the area. Then drive it around and look for leaking. If it's bad you can order a new gasket, and when you go to replace it the area will be clean and you won't contaminate the insides with dirt.

Let us know what happens.