View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
Bala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
As I say to the team I work with...there is no dumb question. Belittling someone keeps people from asking question and getting answers they need.

To answer your question Tenre, the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing is in the engine block. It's location is totally separate from the gear box. The residual lubricant you encountered might be coming from a leaking rear main seal (RMS) and blowing down the bottom of the transmission as you drive.

If you smell the oil, old 90wt hypoid tranny oil stinks...if there's no smell then it's probably engine oil and an investigation as to it's origin is warranted.
Explains my findings. Got to say that lying under the car with a light is like watching the stars on a clear night. See too many things. I was wondering where all the oil on the transmission side and under was coming from. Figured it was blowing all over. You comfirmed it.

Dumb question though , I see oil on the back passenger side corner of the tranny. There os a sensor in the back of the tranny amd it also seems oily. Could that be the source? Can it be fixed?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote