Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Optima Red Tops Still at Costco or Sam's Club?

I've seen a lot of threads here, and in other car forums, that Costco and apparently Sam's Club carry Optima Red Tops. However, those threads are over a year old now. Knowing how fast these stores can turn over inventory and change suppliers, I have to wonder if either place still carries them.

Bonus if you know whether the metro Atlanta warehouses carry them. The Perimeter Costco did not have them as of 2/21/2012, but I haven't checked or called other warehouse clubs including Sam's. I didn't pay attention in the past to see if they had them at some point.

If they no longer carry them, do you Costco battery-buying folks know which Kirkland battery size fits a base '00 986?

While I'm at it, has anyone had any experience with wipers from Costco? I can't imagine them being horrible. They are only windshield wipers after all.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #2

I bought the Costco windshield wipers last year and installed them on three different cars. They are Goodyear brand, I believe, and work great.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #3

Bump

Anyone? (10 characters)
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

Garage
don't know about Costco, but Interstate Batteries carry replacements. Remember the breather hose running down one end is on an OEM battery.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #5

- wipers will fit & work as long as you buy correct sizes but won't have upward curve of OEM.

- hit or miss on Optima at Costco. You can pick up Optima at most natl parts stores (Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.). Advance always has a 15-20% off promotion on their website - so order online and pick up in store. In fact, right now they have a 25% off one using code BATX.

That said I've been a big fan of Optima batteries for a while. However, I'm finding it harder and harder to go w/ them. The reduced warranty (now just 36 month vs 84 previously) and price premium (typically 50% or more) make it harder to justify particularly when national brands and even some store brands now offer 48mo or more warranty. If I can pick them up on sale and w/in 25% price of comp brand I'll go w/ them. Otherwise, I'll just move on.

As for size, quick use of the forum search function on pretty much every page would have yielded results for you days ago as it's been covered ad nauseam . . .

Group 48
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.

The story the tire guy at Costco Brookhaven (Atlanta) is that they used to carry them, but they were moving so slowly that they stopped carrying them. Makes sense. It's the Costco (and honestly any smart) business way.

I use the search function exponentially more than I ever post, so I'm quite aware of it. In fact, I think I mentioned that in a roundabout way during my thread starter. None of them mentioned Costco/Sham's' current, as in 2012, availability.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by promark420 View Post
If they no longer carry them, do you Costco battery-buying folks know which Kirkland battery size fits a base '00 986?
No offense meant... guess I misinterpreted your question about what battery size fits. Answer as listed above is Group 48 - same for all mfgs that list by group size(most). Another tip (if not buying at Costco - but try there too) is have them test the battery before you haul the 40-50# out, home and into your car only to find it dead. Been known to happen . . .

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
I am still a fan of the lightweight lithium battery. Same CCA or better than a stock battery but a lot less reserve power. 5lbs instead of 50lbs. If you drive your car once a week and don't have some massive sound system in there, a lithium might be right for you.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #9

I have the goodyear costco wipers and they are great. They go for $8 each i think and I like them very much.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #10

I have used the Kirkland brand battery in my car for at least 5-6 years of heavy tracking, starts/drive once every 1-2 weeks and no issues. Costco sells things so quickly that I don't worry about their batteries sitting on the shelf for too long.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #11

Garage
Auto Zone in PA carries them for $177

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote