Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #41

would rather buy a 996 turbo with some techart body work , turn the boost up to 600 h.p. and smoke the doors off those late model ferraris.

Attached Images

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
aaaahhh yes...a 996 turbo, gives the eyes pleasure.

Are you interested in all those options on that Spyder if not I've been in this car, it is sweet: http://hendrick-porsche.ebizautos.com/webdetail.aspx?iid=8010746

They had a black one too that I like even more, but I think it sold.

Last edited by WhipE350; 01-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #43

best motoring 996 turbo vs 360 modena 996 Turbo The Ultimate Test - Best Motoring International - YouTube
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #44

my favorite ferrari run , you can see how much the F-430 advanced vs. the 360 modena . these BMI videos are great. Ferrari F430 Drift King Touge Run - Best Motoring International - YouTube
Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #45
Ex Esso kid

I agree with Jacabean on the Gemballa, RUF or otherwise expert prepared cars as a exciting prospect. There are not too many on the market and even fewer PDK. It occurs to me this morning that I will have to see whatever I buy, god I don't even know if I'll like the view out the spyder and I am certainly not psyched about a 70K car with yet another plastic back window. The spyder premium puts it alongside the 2009 911 cabrio I drove at the dealer in price as well.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #46

I have seen a video of a Cayman S beating a Ferrari 360 on a race track in two different video's and racetracks somewhere on youtube.

I would not be suprised if the Boxster Spyder is faster than the 360 around a race track.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #47
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I have seen a video of a Cayman S beating a Ferrari 360 on a race track in two different video's and racetracks somewhere on youtube.

I would not be suprised if the Boxster Spyder is faster than the 360 around a race track.

Me either and the only criticism anyone seems to be able to muster is the top, general consensus is it's one of the best Porsches to leave the factory and the current weight champion of the lineup. When you look at the Ferrari the body looks massive contrasted against a modern boxster and the 2000 series of the Modena just looks old to me.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #48

Garage
Listen ! As much as I like boxsters and caymans (and to be quite frank, I have one of the most well tuned no expense spared boxsters that I've ever come across), neither vehicle even remotely compares to a 360 Modena. If you ever have the chance to drive one you'll experience the difference. The 360 is a whole different level of automobile - much more sophisticated and mature than any boxster or cayman that I've driven . As far as who's passing who on the track, and what type of vehicle he or she is driving is subject to many variables. I'm sure that there are a number of members here on the forum who could drive the pants off of most of us regardless of what kind of vehicle they were given .
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #49
Ex Esso kid

JD, You make a good point about driver ability, I'm certain Michael Andretti could spank me in a much lesser capable vehicle. However JD, to be fair, you are basing the Boxster Spyder's inability on how fast your old souped Boxster is. Sure the Modena has more power, Porsche has been giving up power forever but I'll bet good money the Spyder can carry as much or more pace in a corner than a 2000 Modena. The old Modena is giving up a couple hundred pounds to the Spyder as well and does not have the superior lightweight wheels at each corner either.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 01-03-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #50

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
JD, You make a good point about driver ability, I'm certain Michael Andretti could spank me in a much lesser capable vehicle. However JD, to be fair, you are basing the Boxster Spyder's inability on how fast your old souped Boxster is. Sure the Modena has more power, Porsche has been giving up power forever but I'll bet good money the Spyder can carry as much or more pace in a corner than a 2000 Modena. The old Modena is giving up a couple hundred pounds to the Spyder as well and does not have the superior lightweight wheels at each corner either.
First of all, "old" and "souped up" are not words or phrases that I would use to describe my vehicle. Considerable time, money and creative effort went into modifying my boxster. I prefer to call it meticulously "tuned" or "dialed" in . In any case, I can't say that I have driven the latest iteration of the boxster spyder . However, I have driven just about every model year leading up to it. And, quite frankly, they've all felt like "mush" to me . With that said, I am confident enough to say that the new spyder wouldn't leave any flies living on my vehicle . And, if so, they'd be paying rent .
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #51

The 360 already looks dated for a six figure Ferrari. It's in that weird place where (IMHO) wasn't the head-turner that the 355 was and isn't on the new egineering/reliability level Ferrari reached with the 430. And their fragile to boot.
It's like having beautiful furniture that you have to keep plastic covers on, not the choice for a guy who plans to drive the wheels off a car. More a car to sit in a Ferrari Museum or some rich celebrities car collection hangar.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #52
Ex Esso kid

JD I felt the same way about my 2.5 don't get defensive the fact remains your tuning did not lighten wheels, get factory tuned suspension, lose weight (to the same degree), is not direct injected or likely anywhere near 310, not dissing your ride, up to a month ago I was loving one like it. All I'm saying is until you drive a Boxster Spyder you owe it the unknown factor against ten year old Ferrari machinery. Regarding the claim about your car, any of these vehicles are going to be very close but again if you think a closed track comparison with race drivers of your ride and a Spyder would be close you're smoking crack.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 01-03-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #53

Garage
I guess that we're not all going to agree on the 360 . Lol ! Certain that it is,the 430 is a much more refined platform . However, I still feel that the 360 is nonetheless an exciting, gorgeous vehicle .
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #54

Garage
Quote:
JD I felt the same way about my 2.5 don't get defensive the fact remains your tuning did not lighten wheels, get factory tuned suspension, lose weight (to the same degree), is not direct injected or likely anywhere near 310, not dissing your ride, up to a month ago I was loving one like it. All I'm saying is until you drive a Boxster Spyder you owe it the unknown factor against ten year old Ferrari machinery. Regarding the claim about your car, any of these vehicles are going to be very close but again if you think a closed track comparison with race drivers of your ride and a Spyder would be close you're smoking crack.
I hope that you know some good crack dealers .
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #55
Ex Esso kid

You're stuck too far in your own fantasy then guy because I've read over the years about the "mods", no revelations there my friend. When you stuff a bigger motor in it let me know, till then I'll assume my new ride will smoke it out of the box with 320 on tap @ 7200 and seven speeds that can be grabbed faster than you can think about.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 01-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #56
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Everyone please weigh in: How do you buy a car on the opposite coast unseen and protect yourself from receiving a car with a blemish or some other point you would have otherwise negotiated about?

I have bought a few cars sight unseen (from eBay) and the best way to do this is to hire a local company to do the PPI on site and then email you the report. The company will typically do a full visual inspection, check for engine error codes, perform a test drive, and provide lots of pictures. You can also talk to the inspector to get his impressions of the car and answer any particular questions that the report may not have addressed. The cost is around $250-$400.

Then you can use the report to decide whether to buy or not. I have decided not to buy several cars once I got the report. You can also use the report in your negotiations to justify why you're offering a lower price.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #57
Ex Esso kid

Thanks Stone, that's a great suggestion. The used cars I have seen are all adorned with expensive adds I don't want, such as nav. As such, the dealers want more than a new car with less mods. Since interest rates are sometimes better on new cars there may be savings there as well. I might just order one from the local dealer, then I will always have a spot there for service.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #58

Garage
Quote:
You're stuck too far in your own fantasy then guy because I've read over the years about the "mods", no revelations there my friend. When you stuff a bigger motor in it let me know, till then I'll assume my new ride will smoke it out of the box with 320 on tap @ 7200 and seven speeds that can be grabbed faster than you can think about.
I'm sure that the new Spyder in it's stock form is a great vehicle, and perhaps the most performance oriented boxster to date . Moreover, despite it's "bikini" top, I'm sure that it's refined enough to satisfy you and any soccer mom out there. However, for any serious minded "tuner" or track enthusiast, the first things to go on this vehicle would be the wheels, suspension, cat back exhaust, headers, cats , ecu re-map ect.. When you or anyone else has accomplished this, you can keep your crack, I'll bring the cigars, scotch and fair ladies .
Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #59

i must agree , these old boxsters are limited , no matter how much modification is done . don't get me wrong i love my Boxster but when i take my jap crap evo X for a spin it is clear in every category (except build quality) that it will whip the old 986 S . the evo X lightly tuned will most likely tool a Boxster Spyder as well and for a fraction of the cost.
I do understand where Johnny D. is coming from when he says that the ferrari is on another level because it is.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #60
Ex Esso kid

My last word on it JD, what you are proposing is that the newest technology from Porsche is easily beaten in performance by simple mods as the ones you describe performed on their older cars, what can I say except I disagree. If you had done some serious engine mods the kind that require dis assembly then I might, might buy your claim. But the "cards in the spokes" tweaks you are talking about, to say two pro drivers one in a spyder and one in the JD prepared race car, to say your car would win is nothing short of delusional.

It won't matter anyhow, I now know why the prices are skyrocketing, no more new spyders so what's left is going to be too much, looks like I'm S shopping now.