Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #1

Gears are acting up...

Oh boy, this won't be a 'happy new year' -- when driving home tonight I suddenly couldn't get my '98 Box into 5th gear... and then, shortly after, I realize that I only have 2nd and 4th -- no 1st, no 3rd, and no reverse. The shifter is also "loose", vertically. As always, any help appreciated.

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Cheer up, the good news might be in the description of the linkage being loose. The notion of loosing that many synchros at once is daunting yet unlikely.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Agreed, you are either looking at replacing your shift linkage at the shifter or at the transmission.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

PS Pick another descriptive term, the last guy who entered our shop and said "my car is acting up" was greeted with my brother asking "Why don't you put it on stage?"
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer View Post
Oh boy, this won't be a 'happy new year' -- when driving home tonight I suddenly couldn't get my '98 Box into 5th gear... and then, shortly after, I realize that I only have 2nd and 4th -- no 1st, no 3rd, and no reverse. The shifter is also "loose", vertically. As always, any help appreciated.

-- peer
Prime suspect is that one of your gear cable holders have come loose at the end where they attach to the gearbox... The cables themselves will almost certainly still be connected but because the outer cable sheath is no longer held in a fixed location, the amount of push or pull that your gear lever puts on the gearbox levers is greatly reduced and hence, so is your gear choice.

Heavy duty tie wraps will give you a quick fix.

Happy New Year. :-)
2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #6

I had something similar happen to me after transmission removal and replacement, it turned out that the gear cables (in my case reverse) wasn't completely seated in the retaining bracket on the transmission as fooksm described above. Easy to check and fix if it's the culprit; Jack the rear of the car up (use a stand) or use drive up ramps, look up from behind the rear wheel (passenger side) towards the top of the transmission, if one of the shift linkage cables is loose simply press it back into place.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #7

I had something similar happen to me when I had been pushing the shifter too forcefully into reverse, and a small plastic retainer in the shifter broke. One of the cables came off.

I took the console off to get to the shifter, pushed the cable end back on, and it worked without the retainer for quite some time until I replaced the entire shifter with the 9x7 short shifter.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

I just found the culprit; a broken shift rod (see picture below). But I have no idea how to replace it -- I don't even know how to get it off (looks like it's crush pressed) and probably need a special tool..? Again, any help appreciated (and if you're in the Redwood City neighborhood and would like to help me, I'll happily treat you for a fancy dinner ;^)

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #9

According to the Bentley manual, you just pry the cable ends off the ball mounts, page 34-5.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
According to the Bentley manual, you just pry the cable ends off the ball mounts, page 34-5.
That is correct.... The special tool required is a large flatblade screwdriver.:-)

I'm still a little in shock that the rod itself had snapped though.

2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote