Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #1

Charlie Chan muffler opinions....

A few months ago there was a flurry of interest in the so called "Charlie Chan" muffler upgrade - re a certain Mr Danger.

If I remember correctly, there were few Chan systems available for sale with slightly uneven rear tail pipes which were being sold by the distributor for a very cheap price which made the mufflers look very attractive......probably sold by now though.

Is the jury still out regarding cost / drone / value for money now that the mufflers are (I assume) back on the market at normal pricing levels?? Where to buy ??

What are buyers thoughts now they have lived with the Chans for a few thousand miles??

Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #2

I have one of those CC mufflers and love the sound. With the top up there is a bit of 'drone' but one I can live with as I like to hear the sound of the engine while driving. I am not big on super stereo systems. If I want pure music I will listen where there isn't the sound of traffic in the background. Just me of course. Mufflers still available on ebay. Muffler takes some weight out of the rear and any loss of weight is a performance increase. I also deleted the secondary cats so I do have a louder muffler than if I had left them on. As far as hp increase I really couldn't honestly say without a dyno. Also I imagine the engine runs a bit cooler without that heavy heat sink out back. I would buy another one if I ever get another Boxster and this one wouldn't fit.

I am sure our resident 'evil one' will have a few things to say now that he is sealed in his bunker for the winter and cannot drive the 'screaming yellow zonker' until spring!!! Johnny, your thoughts? Larry King

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Garage
I am sure our resident 'evil one' will have a few things to say now that he is sealed in his bunker for the winter and cannot drive the 'screaming yellow zonker' until spring!!! Johnny, your thoughts? Larry King

AKL

Did you ever get that PuPu Platter I sent you ?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

Meant to send it back after my food taster dropped dead. I will have some chocolates off to you for St. Valentines day, .45 cal for sure.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

Garage
there is a bit of 'drone'
AKL

Drone:

- a male bee in a colony of social bees, which does no work but can fertilize a queen.

- figurative a person who does no useful work and lives off others.

- a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.

That's a pretty involved exhaust for just $250 !
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

That's a pretty involved exhaust for just $250 ![/QUOTE]

And I wouldn't have gotten it if not for you.....i'm not worthy.....i'm not worthy..!!!

He who is not worthy!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

PuPu platter, .45 cal - you Yanks speak with forked tongues. No idea what this means but I guess its nothing to do with Charlie Chan......
Old 12-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #8

Re:

Its really a good one.Thanks a lot for sharing.
philiprambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
PuPu platter, .45 cal - you Yanks speak with forked tongues. No idea what this means but I guess its nothing to do with Charlie Chan......
On a serious note, the muffler in question (aka the Charlie Chan muffler) offers an excellent opportunity for members to switch to an aftermarket exhaust for the purposes of better sound (subjective) and considerable weight savings over the oem exhaust for cheap. So far as I know, the construction and build quality is very good; especially considering the price. Because it's mass produced in Taiwan, and subsequently distributed by numerous sellers throughout the US, to include eBay, prices can vary between between $200- 500 .

p.s. I have not heard of any reports of uneven or lopsided tail pipes.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 12-28-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #10

the charlie chan can is a good part. you can not beat it for what it cost. it sounds good too.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #11

ohh yeah , it does have uneven tail pipes . i just bent them into shape.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
ohh yeah , it does have uneven tail pipes . i just bent them into shape.

Mine were a little off too but it was easy to bend them into alignment.

AKL
Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #13

I got mine from Topspeed (a forum sponsor) and I love it. The sound is great.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #14

I found the "Charlie Chan" muffler on eBay for $225 + shipping + tax, which came to a little over $300 and pulled the trigger.
Here are my impressions:
* The muffler looks very much like the NHP V2
* The bolts which are supplied are too large in diameter and won't go through the holes in bracket on the transmission, so I had to go to Home Depot and buy thinner ones, I like to keep everything metric so I ended up with M8 x 1.25 x 70 mm

Now the surprises:
* Zero, I mean absolutely NO drone at all
* The exhaust is much quieter than I had expected I didn't' have a stock exhaust on my car since a very long time, so it's hard for me to compare but I think it's still a bit louder than stock

The sound itself is nice, a bit lower rumble which comes halfway alive at 4k RPM

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote