Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #1

Output Shaft Removal for 2002 Boxster S G86 Transmission

I was having the dreaded 2nd gear slip so my friend and I took the transmission out of the car for a closer inspection. We have the transmission out and on a bench and were able to identify the issue. The issue is in fact the synchro and possibly 2nd gear.

Now here is the question. We have been unable to get the tapered bearing out of the top of the output shaft in order to get to 2nd gear. Does anyone know how to get this tapered bearing out? I have attached a photo for your review.

AR|Groundzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #2

They are either pressed on are held in place by a snap ring...snap rings should be a certain points to hold assemblies in there right position. Get a diagram be fore you start disassembling it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #3

2nd Gear Fixed!

We figured it out. We had already removed the snap rings and 2 spacers. The gears needed to be pulled out using a kukko gear puller in 2 stages. In stage one, first gear and all components above the gear were removed. In stage two, second gear and all remaining components were removed. A significant amount of force was required to remove the gear puller drive screws via a pneumatic impact wrench set to 110 psi. The estimated torque required to move the bearings along the shaft is calculated at 305 foot pounds which would generate 3660 pounds of force per inch. The resultant force on the ½ inch shaft of the gear pullers is 7,320 pounds or 3.66 tons of force.

We removed the gears and noticed that second gear was damaged. We replaced the gear and syncro and reassembled. We were sure to test the transmission on the bench before we reinstalled it. While the transmission was out we replaced the IMS, Rear Main Seal, Clutch, and CV Boots.

We are working on a complete article detailing our adventure.

In all the job took about 5 days. But my Boxster shifts like butter and has never driven better.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

*thumbs up* & awaiting write-up .. not that I'll ever have the balls to attempt this myself .. but love to read about other ppl's exploits ..
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR|Groundzero View Post

We are working on a complete article detailing our adventure.
Congrats and please do take the time to do the write-up. Where did you source the puller?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Gear Puller

I got lucky and sourced the puller from an area independant mechanic shop on loan. Because of the space between the gears (see picture in the post below) you have to have a gear puller with thin feet. I used a Kukko gear puller.

Update, I have been driving the car for a month and it is absolutely perfect!

Last edited by AR|Groundzero; 01-25-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added another picture
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #7

Custom Tool

Oops, I almost forgot. Because of the hollow shaft in the Boxster S transmission, we had to create a tool to allow the puller to have somewhere to apply the downforce.

I am still working on the article. There is a lot of data so it is taking some time. In the meantime if you have any questions please ask.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #8

Parts Replaced

I have had some inquiries about the parts I replaced during the project. Here is the list:

• RMS
• IMS
• CV Boots
• 2nd Gear
• 2nd Gear Syncro
• 2nd Gear Selector Sleeve
• Clutch
• Pressure Plate
• Throwout Bearing
• Brake Switch
• Primed and Painted the Exhaust
• HID Driving Lights (Bonus)

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Fantastic!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #10

Groundzero, please check your private messages.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #11

Garage
Very happy to see this I am looking at doing the same on my car. If you don't mind me asking...What was the cost of the transmission parts ?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #12

Parts Cost

The transmission parts cost as follows:

Gear 996.302.942.00 $385
Shift Sleeve 996.304.061.02 $450
Syncro Sleeve 996.304.611.00 $130

Last edited by AR|Groundzero; 01-26-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Forgot a Part!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #13

Article Finally Done

Thank you for your patience. Here is the article. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by AR|Groundzero; 03-18-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Had to pull the article for now. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
1999 base

Garage
Wow!

this is awesome. file saved.
my 2nd gear is fine (for now) but i'm sure some people want to know how much its going to cost them to ship their transmission to you.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #15

Worth the effort

lol, that is funny. It was all worth it and it is everytime I put the car in second and accelerate!

YeeHaw!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #16

Congratulations!

You've made a significant contribution to the data base!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #17

Thank you

I love to help the Boxster community. I have saved a lot of time and money from others articles.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #18

Does anyone have a copy of the article. Rebuilding 2nd gear on a 996 and need to do the same job. Thanks!
Amille28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #19

Boxster Transmission Repair Documents

Thanks for reaching out. I have 20k miles on the car since the repair and it has NEVER slipped a gear and is still running as smooth as butter.

Here is a Dropbox link to all documents I used as well as an article that my friend and I put together to describe the process.

Boxster Transmission Repair Documents

Let me know if you need anything and happy repairing!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #20

Thanks so much for putting the time and effort into publishing all this info.It was a lot of extra work for the benefit of the 996/Boxster community.As far as I know this is the only such diy guide to this important project.
Would you happen to be selling an old 944 strut part?? I need one and when I am done I'll pass it on to the next Forum member who needs it .I'll also add to your excellent write up.
I am trying the pulling with a Harbor Freight 12 ton puller.It will be interesting to see if it will fit .Certainly a little grinding will be required to fit. Yes, it was a lot cheaper than the German Kuko puller!But only if it works.
Surprised not to see the sealed bearings in your parts purchased list. I think I recall you bought the parts from Eric at Gbox?
Thanks once again for your work.
Mod: That work should be preserved in a special section on this Forum ?

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote