Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #21

Here is a photo of the jaw/leg of the Harbor Freight 12t puller. If you compare it with the Kukko puller ,you'll see the difficulty of fitting the very large 'claw' in the tiny space around the gear cluster. I suspect that if you grind enough material off the claw to fit,it will weaken the claw to the point where it will break before the gear set can be extracted. Possibly, the fact that it uses 3 legs,not two like the Kukko - may help?
I am wondering if we are using the correct tool to pull the gears and bearings off. A bearing separator would easily fit in the tight space but I have not tried it.Too weak?
Another problem with the HF 12t puller is that it is very heavy/awkward to set up and is dangerously powerful.It could do a lot of damage to that hollow shaft!

Attached Images

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amille28 View Post
Does anyone have a copy of the article. Rebuilding 2nd gear on a 996 and need to do the same job. Thanks!
Amile,
I am not an expert but:
AFAIK ,the 6 speed transaxle in the Boxster S & the 996 is largely the same internally.It is the Getrag G466.That is the # for the whole transaxle not just the gearbox. The rear of the gearbox case is different because of the different mounting.
Just be careful you don't confuse the 5 speed G86.00 &G86.01 in the base Boxster with the G86.02 6 speed in the S. They are not the same.
The 996/Carrera gearbox is referred to as G96.00 & G96.01
The G96.50 and up are totally different(GT3 etc)
Getrag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The authority on this subject is Eric at GBOX:
PORSCHE RACING AND STREET GEARBOXES-GBOX Transmission
PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER TRANSAXLE SPECIFICATIONS – California Motorsports Inc
It would be good to have a definitive correction to all these part numbers!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #23

Gear Puller and Misc Ramblings...

I am glad that I can maybe fill in some knowledge gaps. I am here to ensure that these marvels of engineering stay on the road and are not given a bad rap because of the mishaps of others. BTW, I believe that 3 cars, besides my own, are back on the road due to this forum and the knowledge it contains.

Now on to business...

While the Harbor Freight puller is quite a bit cheaper than the Kukko, you would probably do yourself a favor by buying one on eBay and then selling it when you are done. I had tried many other pullers before just biting the bullet and finding a Kukko I could use. Make sure to get the one with the slender arms and extension. From what I remember, both are necessary.

As far as the strut assembly, I have one but I don't really want to sell it. Mostly for sentimental reasons. I would be fine with you using it but how would I ensure that I get it back? Nothing personal....for some reason being backed into a corner and figuring out something that seemed impossible has left an indelible mark

If anyone knows anyone that can cut thick plexiglass into a circle please let me know. I want to make a coaster out of the old 2nd gear that I removed from my Boxster for my work desk.

Please let me know if there is anyway that I can help.

Happy Motoring!
AR|Groundzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #24

Great info-thanks
FYI to others the correct(????) Kukko part number is "KK20-1+S" The S = slender arms. The cost seems to be around $300 on EBay.
This is a 2 arm puller. I am still confused about why a 3 arm puller would not be better?

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-16-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #25

996 Rebuild...

Amille,

I would agree with Gelbster, the transmissions are different. However the basic principals of the work done I am sure are very much the same. I would think that the tools and steps necessary are also very similar. The good think about these cars are that they are very mechanical. (At least for the ones built in the early 00's). Please keep us informed on how it goes.

Thanks again for checking our my article.
AR|Groundzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:54 AM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR|Groundzero View Post

If anyone knows anyone that can cut thick plexiglass into a circle please let me know. I want to make a coaster out of the old 2nd gear that I removed from my Boxster for my work desk.

Please let me know if there is anyway that I can help.

Happy Motoring!
Go to a plastic store. Most of them can cut as well
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #27

I've had good results using a jig saw .The reverse tooth blades seem to work well.
Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-T101BR-4-Inch-10-Tooth-Blades/dp/B0000223G0
I found some useful Youtube videos too.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #28

This question if for someone that's opened up a G86.20. How hard is it to separate the bell housing from the rest of the gearbox? I'm considering the feasibility of trying to change the bell housing for an Audi one. When you split the box, if I remove the differential at the same time, can the gearset be removed as a unit or does it need to be stripped down completely?

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote