Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

Can I run different front and rear tires?

Hi All,

I went to get my car inspected and it turns out that the tread is quite low in the back but not in the front. I replaced the front tires a couple of years ago. I am currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 265/40 in front and 265/35 in back. I dont feel like replacing all 4 tires so I was wondering if there were pros or cons to getting a different tire for the back than the front. I only track the car once or twice a year and am finding myself looking for a tire that is a bit more on the quiet side. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

2003 Boxster S.... Schnell Short Throw Shifter, Xenons, 18" Carrera Lites, H & R Springs, 7mm/14mm spacers, Bose, Pioneer AVIC X710bt, Zeintop when it's cold
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

You can, but don't. Read this recent post:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31969-what-tire-pressures-do-you-run-street.html
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

Short answer: Find matching rears or replace all 4.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

I have different tires on the front from the back and I drive it hard. Bought it like that last year.
I have no problems so far. I have driven 9000+ miles in past year and my tires still look almost new. Lots of tread left in them.

In my other experiences, most cars at the dealerships I work at have different front tires from back tires because FWD front tires get used up faster and with RWD, rear tires get used up faster.

Many people ignore rotating tires on their cars. And then you have mismatched tires from front to rear.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #5

You have 265/40 tires on the front? I'm suprised they fit, or is that a typo?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I have no problems so far. I have driven 9000+ miles in past year and my tires still look almost new. Lots of tread left in them.
U r not driving hard enough.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, you can but its not the best idea. Depending on the tires, everything might be fine. Or you might experience some strange handling, braking, or general weird driving characteristics. No one can know until you try it with the exact tires.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-17-2011 at 03:07 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #8

Garage
I have run different tires front and rear and have tracked my car with no ill effects provided that the compounds are relatively similar in hardness. I am going through about three sets of cheaper rears for each set of Michelin fronts.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
pk2

I've always run different tires on this car. One thing to consider about trying to match the front and back, brand for brand is that if either the front or back are a couple years old and/or have been ridden hard much, the rubber compound has changed enough that matching them model for model isn't really going to match them. The older rubber is just going to be different.

Regards, PK
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

It's absolutely fine to run different tires front and rear.

People get very precious about this kind of thing, but it's absolute bull****************.

For proof, merely consider the fact that, for instance, the early 986 Boxster was sold as standard on 16-inch 205 fronts and 225 rears. The optional set up was 17-inch 205 fronts, 255 rears. That's a massive difference and a far, far greater difference than you're going to get by merely not matching tires front and rear.

It's a bit different matter regards matching tires across a single axle - that is desirable. But frankly, even that's not as critical as people point out. The typical refrain is to bleat hysterically about not having even grip across the axle - but you never have that, even with perfectly matched tires. There are always camber or surface differences. Even more extreme, in damp conditions it can often be dry under one side and wet under the other. Instant death does not ensue. That said, I always match tires across a given axle.

Right now, I'm actually considering running cheap **************** tires on the rear of my car. As standard its ludicrously over tired on the rear axle, so cheap tyre might make the rear a bit more playful and interactive.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
I run mix-n-match tires all the time with no ill effect BUT... you have to use tires of very similar tread and tire compound to get a good result. This thread is a worst case scenario:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31969-what-tire-pressures-do-you-run-street.html

He is running max performance summer tires on the rear, and all season (600 treadwear) touring tires on the front. This is a pretty big mismatch and the car understeers terribly. My brother ran a track day with A/S tires on the rear and Max Summer tires on the front. His car was so tail happy he put it in the dirt 6 times.

The bottom line: If you understand the difference between tread and tire compounds and are comfortable choosing 2 different tires of similar design, mix-n-match will work for you. If you are fully dependent on a tire shop technician for tire choices, you probably better get all 4 identical tires.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #12

Well, that's the worst case scenario (although for most people, chronic understeer is much safer than chronic oversteer).

High performance summer tyre up front and winter boots on the rear could make a nice combo.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies. Well, it looks like my Goodyear F1's have been discontinued, so I may be looking at replacing all four tires. Anyone in need of two tires for cheap?

2003 Boxster S.... Schnell Short Throw Shifter, Xenons, 18" Carrera Lites, H & R Springs, 7mm/14mm spacers, Bose, Pioneer AVIC X710bt, Zeintop when it's cold
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote