View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
pothole

It's absolutely fine to run different tires front and rear.

People get very precious about this kind of thing, but it's absolute bull****************.

For proof, merely consider the fact that, for instance, the early 986 Boxster was sold as standard on 16-inch 205 fronts and 225 rears. The optional set up was 17-inch 205 fronts, 255 rears. That's a massive difference and a far, far greater difference than you're going to get by merely not matching tires front and rear.

It's a bit different matter regards matching tires across a single axle - that is desirable. But frankly, even that's not as critical as people point out. The typical refrain is to bleat hysterically about not having even grip across the axle - but you never have that, even with perfectly matched tires. There are always camber or surface differences. Even more extreme, in damp conditions it can often be dry under one side and wet under the other. Instant death does not ensue. That said, I always match tires across a given axle.

Right now, I'm actually considering running cheap **************** tires on the rear of my car. As standard its ludicrously over tired on the rear axle, so cheap tyre might make the rear a bit more playful and interactive.