Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

2013 Boxster spy shots

2013 Porsche Boxster Spy Shots

Wow, they took out the whole clamshell and the doors really are going to look like that from the previous spy shots...

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

The most interesting part about that article is the passing mention of the revived 914. The continued addition of "refinement" to the Boxster allows for the possibility of an addition of a car that's actually meant for driving entertainment. I can only wish.

How great would it be to have a Porsche that competes with the next:

http://chrisescars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2015-Lotus-Elise-3.jpg

And the upcoming:

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/cms-images/Alfa-Romeo-4C.jpg

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That friggin Alfa, man...drool material.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

Garage
I think it looks more grown up, I like the bigger intake on the side and losing the clamshell is fine with me. I wonder how the top will go down?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I like it! Like I thought they were going to start using the Cayman hockey stick intake. Hood is nice!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #6

Yep. It looks like a ... Boxster. It's already the most entertaining car to drive.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Garage
First off, I think it looks really great! I haven't seen a Boxster look I prefer in any significant way since the 986, until now. I'm really happy that some shots I saw of the tail lights clad with some crazy hardware design turn out to by b.s. Seriously, I thought someone was crazed.

As far as the elimination of the clamshell, how would the roof work then??? Not the Spyder, so what are you guys thinking on that? I'm sure someone else less technical out there is thinking the same Q or am I just stupid?

Blue, the 2 pics you posted sure look nice as well. Are those competitors really coming in 2013?

As for the Boxster vs Cayman, I've not owned a Cayman, but I love the convertible more than I ever thought I would. Love the sun, so can't imagine wanting the Cayman when given the choice!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Is it just me? this thing looks HUGE. the 2012 looks allot bigger then the 986 & 987 and the price is creeping up as well. I think Porsche is making the new Boxster bigger to raise the price higher to make room for a new smaller Boxster. hopefully it will be lighter and cheaper as well.

The new 911 is bigger and is more like a GT car then a sports car and the prices are going up as well. I wish Porsche would make a small lightweight car in the $40k price range. like the Lotus Elise.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #9

Garage
Oh, and forgot there was something I'm not sure I liked. Anybody think the spoiler looked too weak & delicate. Just a thought....
Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #10

A bit off topic, but I keep hearing comparisons to the Lotus on this site, and how the Boxster should be more "stripped down" and lighter. Why didn't those who want a "race care for the street" but a Lotus to begin with? Is it the cost, and relative rarety of Lotus cars? It seems that it would save effort of trying to strip weight from their cars. I'm not being confrontational, just honestly curious.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
Blue, the 2 pics you posted sure look nice as well. Are those competitors really coming in 2013?
The first car is the 2014-2015 Lotus Elise.

The second is the 2013 Alfa Romeo 4C.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #12

That's just a concept made by Lotus designers... not the actual design of the Elise that's coming.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I wonder if they're going Miata-style with the top and just having it fold behind you with no clamshell. It seems that the rear has more of a slant to it than before, so may the glass drops flat quickly and the rest of the top just rests on it.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #14

It looks like a Panamera with high, jacked up butt. The sides of the car also look too tall for me (look at picture #8), like if you were sitting in a coupe that had it's roof sliced near the top 1/3 of the greenhouse.
The soft top looks weird in the back without the clamshell. And I'm not a fan of the un-imaginative Carrera GT recyled door style. Seems like they're going toward a convertible buyer and not a roadster enthusiast. Oh and that whole flat six thing....

p.s.
Lotus is bringing their A-game. I like the shift toward Lamborghini-esque styling.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-16-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
That's just a concept made by Lotus designers... not the actual design of the Elise that's coming.
Judging by the news and pics of the new Esprit, there's a good chance the Elise will be very similar to the concept. The Elise is Lotus' most successful model ever so you can bet there will be a 3rd gen in the near future.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

We've gone over the styling elements when we got a look at a completely undisguised car last month. But I'll say it again, this car has lost the curves and simplicity of form that made the 986 (and the original concept even moreso) so attractive. The car is evolving by adding tack-on features that designers often do to "freshen" a design. The continued reduction of the rear hips and that fixed lip between the tail lights are the most dissapointing parts for me.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/unmasked-2013-porsche-boxster-s/gallery

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
A bit off topic, but I keep hearing comparisons to the Lotus on this site, and how the Boxster should be more "stripped down" and lighter. Why didn't those who want a "race care for the street" but a Lotus to begin with? Is it the cost, and relative rarety of Lotus cars? It seems that it would save effort of trying to strip weight from their cars. I'm not being confrontational, just honestly curious.
Porsche built it's name by building little light cars that could outrun the big engined Mercedes, Auto Unions, Ferraris and Maseratis. The German Lotus, if you will. We know they can build small, extremely fun cars that are as tough as bank vaults. They just don't do it and I know it's because of a drive for larger sales numbers and more market share. They're not building sports cars any more and it's dissapointing. Corvettes are lighter than 911s. That's not right.

I'll be buying an Elise when I replace the Boxster, but I'll be loosing the tight, solid structure, the intoxicating engine noises, and the ability to get into a fender bender and NOT total the car. Or maybe I'll get the Alfa instead and just deal with Italian build quality.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-16-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #18

The problem with the Alfa isn't the build quality. It's the ****************ty FWD shopping car architecture.

ETA: I meant most Alfa's, not the 4C. The problem with the 4C is the ****************ty four-pot turbo engine.

Last edited by pothole; 12-18-2011 at 01:02 PM.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Judging by the news and pics of the new Esprit, there's a good chance the Elise will be very similar to the concept. The Elise is Lotus' most successful model ever so you can bet there will be a 3rd gen in the near future.
With the new Lotus CEO being a douche to car journalists... I give him and the company as much credibility as Elon Musk.

Don't hold your breath on lightweight elise...

http://jalopnik.com/5694750/lotus-explains-its-new+found-love-of-fatties
Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
With the new Lotus CEO being a douche to car journalists... I give him and the company as much credibility as Elon Musk.

Don't hold your breath on lightweight elise...

Lotus Explains Its New-Found Love Of Fatties
The 1st gen Elise was 1700 pounds, the second gen is 2000 pounds, even at 2400 pounds, the 3rd gen is a light weight. I hate to see it pork up, but what it is is what it is.

Clearly it's coming and it will still be more pure than the Boxster with the electic power steering and ever increasing dimensions that Porsche has added.