Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Rotational womp sound

Hi Everyone,

I'm continuing to having a rotational "womp womp" sound which is speed dependent and not RPM dependent. The sound is coming from the rear of the car. I thought the say may be due to my rear tires being very worn out, but i've replaced those and the sound still persists... any idea's on what it may be?

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Check for a bent rim
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Garage
Check the rear wheel bearings and the rear CVs first and go from there.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #4

Nope, not bent rim, just had new tires put on and balanced without a problem.

How do I check the rear bearing and cv joint myself?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

Garage
Jack up the rear of the car.

Do a visual check of the CV boots to see if they are torn. If they are not torn...can you feel grease in the boot or do they feel dry? Anything feel out of sorts when you rotate the rear wheels while feeling the CV and the shaft. Anything dripping, leaking or has anything dripped or leaked in the past? Do the CVs feel like the bolts holding them together are tight (they have been known to loosen).
Turn the wheels to see if you feel any roughness in the bearings on each side, also check for play both top and bottom and left and right. Do you hear a dragging sound coming from anything when you turn the rear wheels?
Do a visual inspection of the rear suspension and brakes, is everything in order? Push/pull everything to see if there is any play in any part of the rear suspension. Is anything lodged in the brakes (small pebbles or rocks, sand anything that could make noise when the wheel turns)?
When you drive does the sound increase, decrease or remain the same if you turn left or right? Does it occur in deceleration, acceleration or in the neutral part of the power band? Does it change when you apply the brakes?

Do all of these things and report back.

Last edited by landrovered; 12-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Matt

My money is on the CV joint.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

Just curious, what are cost associated with either of these repairs...
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Garage
Don't put the cart before the horse. Speculating will only lead to anguish that may or may not be warranted.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #9

Haven't had a chance to jack the car up yet, but paid a little more attention to the noise today. The noise seems to subside or is not as loud when I take right curves. The rotation womp sounds loudest during left curves or weight is on the right rear suspension.

Any additional input on what it may be, do I have to repair/replace in pairs? Cost associated with this repair? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #10

Rear wheel bearing

What is the year/mileage of your car?

Is your car an S?

FYI regarding your cost questions;Rear bearing is about $50 and labor is about $300-450 a side.

CV joint pricing depends on what you do...R/R a half shaft is $4-500 per side. If you just repack boots you are looking at about half the cost.

If you can do this work yourself you can save big bucks!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #11

03 Boxster S with 75k miles.

Are either of these jobs a DIY? Which of the two do you think it is based upon my description?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
03 Boxster S with 75k miles.

Are either of these jobs a DIY? Which of the two do you think it is based upon my description?

Probably both. And these are big jobs, so not DIY unless you are skilled.

The real question is it left rear, right rear or both sides??? I've done both jobs on both sides on my car, and it's incredible how smooth and quiet the car rolls now...

/
Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #13

Anyone in the southbay wanna make a couple extra hundred bucks? Hehe thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #14

i was under my car today bleeding my clutch . i noticed i have a torn outer cv boot do you guys think this is the cause of rear end vibration at 80 mph and up ? what's the best coarse to take to fix. i was looking in the 101 book and this is not looking like a fun job !
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
i was under my car today bleeding my clutch . i noticed i have a torn outer cv boot do you guys think this is the cause of rear end vibration at 80 mph and up ? what's the best coarse to take to fix. i was looking in the 101 book and this is not looking like a fun job !
You must remove the axle & boot, then clean the CV joint & inspect for wear then replace or repack with grease. If the CV joint is worn it should make noise on hard turns.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #16

Garage
If the noise increases with turning then it is likely the wheel bearing, if it was due to acceleration/deceleration then it would suggest CV.

Now the problem is to find out which side. This can be harder than it looks. Feeling for roughness when you turn the wheels while the car is jacked up would be great to run it down but they don't always make noise or feel rough when turned by hand, swerving while driving does not always tell you because you don't know whether it is an inside or outside bearing that is causing the problem. You can listen and try to hear if it is more pronounced on one side or the other. So you must try to nail it down using your senses and some luck. I have gotten it right and wrong in the past. Some folks just do them both to be sure.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

x2 Wheel Bearing
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #18

I've done both my rear bearings on my 2000S...

in the last year, along with all four CV Boots. I had the luxury of a lift and hydraulic press to r/r the bearings. I actually found the CV boot job to be easier and take a little less time (but very messy!).

I can't tell you if you can do this job yourself. There are a few decent DYI instructions on various forums.

I still would suspect your wheel bearing(s).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #19

Can't say about boot, but wheel bearings are very DIY-able if you have the SIR tool.

I did mine.. and I'm in no way skilled mechanically, before buying my boxster I never even popped the hood to see the engine on my other cars.

It takes time, first wheel bearing took almost 6 hours for me, second one about 2hr.

Just take you time and read instructions carefully.. if something doesn't make sense.. re-read instructions.

You can do it

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #20

Just an update: Got it replaced today and the cabin is soooo quiet now. I would go as car as to say completely silent if I put my car into neutral and I coast. (i have an exhaust). But wow, the car feels brand new!