Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

TPC SuperCharger

I have recently purchased a '97 boxster with a TPC supercharger kit. I have been told that there are no parts available and no one can rebuild the supercharger. I have bearings going out. I need a source to rebuild or a list of OEM items removed so that I can bring it back to stock.

Please any assistance would be great.

Jim

jporter1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #2

Kilian Bearings :: Custom Ball Bearings and Assemblies :: Kilian Manufacturing Corp :: Syracuse New York :: Bearing manufacturer machined-race bearings machined race bearings OEM precision-machined bearings Bearing distributor Buy bearing

have someone remove the bearings and maybe they are a standard size, otherwise, the people above, sure there are others, will custom make you a race and bearing set.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

any turbo shop should be able to rebuild your turbo
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
any turbo shop should be able to rebuild your turbo
How will they do with the TPC supercharger that he mentioned?
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter1966 View Post
I have recently purchased a '97 boxster with a TPC supercharger kit. I have been told that there are no parts available and no one can rebuild the supercharger. I have bearings going out. I need a source to rebuild or a list of OEM items removed so that I can bring it back to stock.

Please any assistance would be great.

Jim
If you post a picture of the supercharger we can probably tell you who manufactured it & you can rebuild it.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
pk2

THat exact supercharger was built by one of the largest super mfgs. in the world. It has been used in everything from Mercs. to Buicks. A rebuild kit on ebay is about $100.

The rest is fabricated tubes and is replaceable by any competent shop. Electronics can also be upgraded with any on of a # of piggy back controllers.

Hardly a loss.

Regards, PK
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #7

Garage
OK, i know that this is a bit 'old hat' but i've suddenly developed the urge to look at supercharging a 986.

it seems that no one is doing the 'kits' for these anymore however someone must have manufactured the supercharger somewhere and the ducting is something that is workable.

does anyone have any data on kits or the SC manufacturers that were suppliying the units ???
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #8

Talk to Mike at TPC
TPC Racing
He'll be glad to help you out.
mgmperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
OK, i know that this is a bit 'old hat' but i've suddenly developed the urge to look at supercharging a 986.

it seems that no one is doing the 'kits' for these anymore however someone must have manufactured the supercharger somewhere and the ducting is something that is workable.

does anyone have any data on kits or the SC manufacturers that were suppliying the units ???
No one is producing super charger kits for the 986 any more .
Old 07-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Garage
The stock compression ratio is too high for forced induction. Sounds like an expensive experiment in how to make a hand grenade. Please do your homework.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 07-25-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

does anyone have any data on kits or the SC manufacturers that were supplying the units ???
Good for you, they're a blast. Far and away the best bang for the buck on these. "Urge" that's why I did it.

Google around, It’s the same roots blower used on the first baby Mercedes SL’s, it was also used in some early 80’s Buicks. Can’t remember the name or model, I think Magnum(?) is the distributor. These complete TPC kits used to show up on ebay and here for about $2500. If you handy, I'd still start there. It has plenty of fault's you can improve upon but it also sorted lots out.

You can call TPC. TPC only “supported” this kit for about 5 yrs. They are pretty unhelpful but should at least be able to tell you the name and model of the blower. Mike is a nice guy but good luck getting him.

It doesn’t matter though, The super itself is not made anymore. A subsequent/replacement model (m2 (?)) is a lot better; about %20 more efficient and 20% smaller, & can spin a lot faster too. (the original can never spin enough for more boost, uses 25hp to work and barely, barely squeezes in)

Jaxondale is right and wrong. This car has an 11:1 comp. ratio. Hi compression = higher cylinder temps. Throw on a super and & it’s even hotter, should be ugly, but it isn’t. It's only a 5-6 psi boost & TPC did a trick (albeit dirty...but cleanable) to cool cylinders by ritchening it up + stock knock sensors do their jobs, retarding the timing to further cool things. My temps (via EGT gauge) are comfortably within range. Never heard of the bottom end going of these going. Whats left?

The hand grenade analogy is witty but not exactly new. No-one can ever really point to one of these, reasonably set up, that ever blew, or any that blew for that matter (though I'm sure some have). It won cause D' chip or IMS problems (might let go 10 mi sooner if they are going to). Mines been in for 6+ odd yrs, no prob & i hardly baby it. The only problems I heard of were only anecdotal & apparently occurred when people “pully'ed” them up for more boost.

You can cool it down plenty with water/meth injection (and clean up TPC's dirty work). Add a new piggyback controller, maybe bigger injectors & you can really clean it up and really make it go. My intention.

Good luck, PK

Last edited by pk2; 07-24-2012 at 11:28 PM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

No-one can ever really point to one of these, reasonably set up, that ever blew, or any that blew

Maybe, but we can point to a bunch that were lovingly cared for like family members that took a dump all on their own without any additional stress adding elements.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
The stock compression ratio is too high for forced induction. Sounds like an expensive experiment in how to make a hand grenade. Please do your homework.
I understand guys, that's why I said to do your homework. Some people think that all you do is strap on a blower and force more air for more power. Educating themselves on re-mapping, the consequences of running lean and retarding the ignition under boost should be well know before anyone financially commits themselves and starts buying any plumbing.

Just trying to help.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
pk2 is a good source for info on this. He has been running a 2.5L with SC for 4-5 years now and is very well versed on the pros and cons. It is the only 2.5L SC car I know that is still running. Yoke his strength.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #15

i've posted lots of info on this topic on this forum in the past. the sc is an eaton blower. eaton doesn't sell direct to consumer, however, so a company called magnusson buys them in bulk, adds some improvements and resells to kit makers.

the 'trick' tpc uses to run rich in order to keep temps down is as old as the hills and not attributable to tpc. typically used in super high boost applications, where the increase in boost more than offsets the inefficiencies of running outside the best air/fuel ratio, this approach is a power suck in the low-boost, high compression boxster application.

tpc made this kit before tuners had broken the boxster ecu. in order to ensure proper fuel delivery in an application where the volume of air supplied was well outside the ability of the ecu to adapt, tpc ran a piggyback. piggybacks, if used properly, have the ability to interact with and intercept a great many of the ecu functions. unfortunately, when used by tpc, all they did was intercept the rpm signal and use high rpm as a trigger to open a 7th fuel injector added to the intake as part of the kit. not tuning at it's best; efficient/effective fuel distribution is compromised, you depend on the knock sensors way too much, ability of the ecu to adjust timing is ushed to the limit, etc.

the original tpc kit was designed for a 2.5, and only shoehorned into a 2.7/2.9/3.2. to make it fit piping diameters are compromised and you ahve to use a 2.5 exhaust. brad roberts also advises that the orientation of the sc in the tpc install starves the sc bearings of oil resulting in increased maintenance. also, the sc is located right by the exhaust; poor choice in an install where heat management is already such a big issue (no intercooler on the tpc sc kits; those only got introduced when porsche added the third radiator - again, however, third radiator is there to keep the bigger engines cool, yet tpc repurposes it as an air/water intercooler).

original tpc sc kits reattach the aos to before the sc. good idea in that vacuum is maintained, bad idea in that all that oil and crap is passing through the sc. later tpc kits just vent the aos to a catch can - bad for crankcase vacuum, bad for the track when it overflows.

i think you can do forced induction with these engines, you just have to do it properly. unfortunately, a bunch of hack kits quick to the market, and resultant engine failures, have established the internet myth that you can't do fi on these engines. check out turbokraft - they seem to be building a really solid turbo kit.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #16

Garage
Thanks guys.

A big consideration point for me is that i am on the wrong side of the Atlantic, the eastern side of the pond has, aside from you guys, a wealth of knowledge and expertise, way beyond the average enthusiast and tech knowledge is severely limited to those who want to sell you very, very expensive options.. think over double, what you guys guy pay then add some..

my thought process has been that i am considering dropping the engine doing a clutch, IMS, RMS, stainless manifolds (headers) of course being in the UK the bolt heads will be corroded to **** so will probably end up needing to machined out and if I'm going to drop the engine then while its out i may well look at doing something 'special'.

of course it goes without saying that i don't want to hand grenade the engine, so obviously with the scare stories i revert back to options like a 74mm throttle body and plenum chamber, but the supercharged idea still nags away at me.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #17

Garage
I purchased a used TPC SC kit from ebay. The problem was it did not come with the piggy back computer and TPC no longer supplies them. I contacted a few Porsche tuners such as FabSpeed but nobody I talked to had a solution. My local tuner (deals with mostly Honda's and Mitsu's) could not/would not help.

If anyone has any ideas on a good way to get around not having the 7th injector controller I'd be all ears. I originally thought I could no without this controller and just adjust the pulse to the 6 injector to get more fuel in and have the flashed ECU have full control but I've yet to find anyone to take on the job. I'd be interested also in knowing if there is a better 7th injector piggyback that can interface with the stock ECU.
tranceatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceatlantic View Post
...If anyone has any ideas on a good way to get around not having the 7th injector controller I'd be all ears. I originally thought I could no without this controller and just adjust the pulse to the 6 injector to get more fuel in and have the flashed ECU have full control but I've yet to find anyone to take on the job. I'd be interested also in knowing if there is a better 7th injector piggyback that can interface with the stock ECU.
There a re a number of (piggy back) boxes out there that will work fine if not far better. The original didn't really do a 'elluva lot. It just read a handful of sensors ( 0 - 5v) did some rudimentary load calculations and pulsed the 7th injector accordingly.

A newer box can do much more and do it much better. I was told you can install larger injectors, skip the #7, and drive them all with the right piggy back. It can also retard the timing, drive methanol/h2o injection (inter-cooling). you can also add more inputs for even better control.

There used to be an outfit around that had a twin turbo kit. They re-flashed the original ECU and installed bigger injectors among other things.

there's really nothing to much different in tuning one of these as opposed to a Subaru or Honda. The theory and practice is all the same. Nobody really has to touch the engine, it's all in software.

Regards, PK
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2 View Post
There a re a number of (piggy back) boxes out there that will work fine if not far better. The original didn't really do a 'elluva lot. It just read a handful of sensors ( 0 - 5v) did some rudimentary load calculations and pulsed the 7th injector accordingly.

A newer box can do much more and do it much better. I was told you can install larger injectors, skip the #7, and drive them all with the right piggy back. It can also retard the timing, drive methanol/h2o injection (inter-cooling). you can also add more inputs for even better control.

Regards, PK
How hard would be to adapt a Mega Squirt to properly work with a FI P engine?
Can you find the base maps to get you started..?

Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #20

did you try softronic? they do the tpc turbo tune and state in their propoganda that they do FI tunes. also, they'll be able to tell you if you need the larger injectors or not. other FI tuners that have developed their own tunes are turbokraft and ima motorsports.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote