View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
OK, i know that this is a bit 'old hat' but i've suddenly developed the urge to look at supercharging a 986.

it seems that no one is doing the 'kits' for these anymore however someone must have manufactured the supercharger somewhere and the ducting is something that is workable.

does anyone have any data on kits or the SC manufacturers that were supplying the units ???
Good for you, they're a blast. Far and away the best bang for the buck on these. "Urge" that's why I did it.

Google around, It’s the same roots blower used on the first baby Mercedes SL’s, it was also used in some early 80’s Buicks. Can’t remember the name or model, I think Magnum(?) is the distributor. These complete TPC kits used to show up on ebay and here for about $2500. If you handy, I'd still start there. It has plenty of fault's you can improve upon but it also sorted lots out.

You can call TPC. TPC only “supported” this kit for about 5 yrs. They are pretty unhelpful but should at least be able to tell you the name and model of the blower. Mike is a nice guy but good luck getting him.

It doesn’t matter though, The super itself is not made anymore. A subsequent/replacement model (m2 (?)) is a lot better; about %20 more efficient and 20% smaller, & can spin a lot faster too. (the original can never spin enough for more boost, uses 25hp to work and barely, barely squeezes in)

Jaxondale is right and wrong. This car has an 11:1 comp. ratio. Hi compression = higher cylinder temps. Throw on a super and & it’s even hotter, should be ugly, but it isn’t. It's only a 5-6 psi boost & TPC did a trick (albeit dirty...but cleanable) to cool cylinders by ritchening it up + stock knock sensors do their jobs, retarding the timing to further cool things. My temps (via EGT gauge) are comfortably within range. Never heard of the bottom end going of these going. Whats left?

The hand grenade analogy is witty but not exactly new. No-one can ever really point to one of these, reasonably set up, that ever blew, or any that blew for that matter (though I'm sure some have). It won cause D' chip or IMS problems (might let go 10 mi sooner if they are going to). Mines been in for 6+ odd yrs, no prob & i hardly baby it. The only problems I heard of were only anecdotal & apparently occurred when people “pully'ed” them up for more boost.

You can cool it down plenty with water/meth injection (and clean up TPC's dirty work). Add a new piggyback controller, maybe bigger injectors & you can really clean it up and really make it go. My intention.

Good luck, PK

Last edited by pk2; 07-24-2012 at 11:28 PM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote