Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #1

Sport Design Interior Paint

Just wondering if anyone has found a match for the textured silver paint used in the sport design interior? I found a couple of posts on discussion boards from several years ago and at the time, the consensus was that touch up paint was not available. I bought a couple spray cans of Duplicolor Textured Metallic silver paint and thought I would try it on some of the chipped and scratched pieces of my trim. The paint comes in three shades and it looks like the medium silver shade is closest in color. Has anyone tried this paint?

linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
Try contacting Eric at Bumperplugs, (Bumperplugs.com) I seem to remember he had some success in color matching this color/texture. I believe your only other option would to re-order worn parts from Porsche$$$ or start swapping over to another interior color painting.

Steve
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #3

I pretty much gave up on finding a match for the paint. I have looked over ebay many times hoping to find some parts from a wrecked car. I eventually bought what I thought was a matching console but it turned out to be a much darker grey/silver color than the sport design package I have. I am probably going to eventually repaint in ASM (to match the exterior) or the alumalook. Keep us posted if the duplicolor was close to matching.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

I have painted a couple parts from my center console with the medium shade of Duplicolor textured metallic paint and so far I am pleased with the results. I will post before and after pics once I paint the main piece of the console. The only thing I noticed so far is that the textured finish is slightly rougher than the original and appears to have a little more metallic look to it. My console was badly scuffed, chipped and marred so I had nothing to lose. I had an extra black console that I installed while I experimented with the textured metallic. I hope the weather cooperates and if so, will paint the rest tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

Garage
Send a pm to homeboy981. I have seen his painting of the center console in person, and it is impeccable.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Here are some pics of the inside….painted

Thanks Kenney!

I sent a PM about this but could not attach photos….so here goes.

The Duplicolor will not be an EXACT match. However, the ONLY WAY you can tell is to hold it up to the exterior color. It is even hard to tell the difference then, it does larger metal flakes, but that looks better! It gives off more *BLING*

BEFORE:

DURING:

Drove around for a week like this - good thing I put my Short Shifter in there at the same time!

AFTER:

Sorry the pics do not do the paint scheme justice. They are out of focus! Sorry! I was in a hurry to put them back in!

TIP: Do NOT use Duplicolor Chrome…it does NOT match anything resembling Chrome. I will have to re-do the parts I did with that color. The Bumperettes are easy to do…just make sure you PREP them properly and use a Plastic Primer!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Homeboy, that's an amazing transformation. I like it a lot.
When I bought my S, it already had the console done in Arctic Silver to match the exterior. It looks really nice against the Metropol blue interior.
Is that carpet you have your car parked on? Talk about spoiling the ride!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

trim color

To anyone who knows: Is the Duplicolor textured silver also the closest match for the paint on the hard plastic trim horseshoe-shaped piece at the bottom of my shift boot (which matches the trim on the e-brake handle). And can it be brushed instead of sprayed, because I don't think I can disassemble it w/o damage and masking would be tricky. My boot trim paint, like many I have seen,is deteriorating. Thanks guys, this community is terrific!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi BoxsterSteve,
Thanks! The silver makes the car much more durable on the inside….just needs wax! You caught me on the carpet. Yes, my garage has carpet. It is not good carpet, just berber. I like to go out and just look at my car in bare feet. Not proud of it, but...I also make engine noises if I have not driven in a while.

Hi BrokenLinkage,
That could have been my nickname IF I had not replaced my shifter and linkage!

Not sure which part is …"on the bottom of the shift boot." Not sure how well it would hold up to painting. Got a pic? Most of the plastic in the car can be painted BUT it is a matter of HOW IT IS PREPPED!

Masking the project is actually the easy part. Get some blue painters' tape and take it a little at a time. Press one end and hold on the line you want to make with the tape and go inch by inch, bending tape as you go along. It will form, after a few layers, into a good line - even if it is curved. Just take little pieces and then put bigger pieces of tape over it to ensure it is covered well! If you have never done it - it will seem impossible. Just take it slow and remember if you leave out a little piece it WILL BE painted and it will be harder to get a mistake out than and extra minute of taping would have been! The boot itself is leather (I believe, or leatherette) and may not be best to paint it as the paint will chip with wear. Hope this helps!

If you decide to paint the interior - you will be VERY HAPPY with the results IF you employ standard painting techniques - even to a 'rattle can'!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #10

silver trim around gaiter

Homeboy thanks.Linklaw and I are probably looking for the same paint. I don't have pics but the part I'm describing was an option in certain trim packages, possibly "sport design". At the base of the leather shift boot is a silver painted (?aluminum look) horseshoe-shaped piece of plastic glued to the leather where it meets the center console, which piece may be also plastic welded through the leather to the similar piece of plastic on the Inside of the leather boot. The latter piece on the inside is common to all our shifters, since it has the prongs that hold the shift boot to the console. On my outer piece, the silver paint is bubbling loose. Seems to be a common malady for this part, which I do not believe is available separately. I need to know what paint is best match, and how to prep & apply without damaging or bleeding paint onto the attached leather. I don't think I can remove it from the boot intact. Again, thanks to anyone who can help.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Homeboy thanks.Linklaw and I are probably looking for the same paint. I don't have pics but the part I'm describing was an option in certain trim packages, possibly "sport design". At the base of the leather shift boot is a silver painted (?aluminum look) horseshoe-shaped piece of plastic glued to the leather where it meets the center console, which piece may be also plastic welded through the leather to the similar piece of plastic on the Inside of the leather boot. The latter piece on the inside is common to all our shifters, since it has the prongs that hold the shift boot to the console. On my outer piece, the silver paint is bubbling loose. Seems to be a common malady for this part, which I do not believe is available separately. I need to know what paint is best match, and how to prep & apply without damaging or bleeding paint onto the attached leather. I don't think I can remove it from the boot intact. Again, thanks to anyone who can help.
Hi Linkage,
It CAN be done! That is the good news. Since you are working so close to the leather you may need to "coat" the leather with a light oil (or Lexol might work). So that IF you DO spray it, no problemo. After that I would take great care to ensure plenty of tape is used and work the project under SOME HEAT, if possible, SO THE PAINT DRIES QUICKER. Either a hot day (should not be a problem finding one of those-too hot to put the top down) OR use a drop light heat lamp (make sure to turn it OFF while spraying-don't want to read about you on the news "Porsche owner sprays car and then the neighborhood".

Take it slow. Use LIGHT COATS! First coat SHOULD LOOK LIKE CR@P!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes and post some pics too!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #12

Any tips for painting the console and how to remove the textured/rubber finish that's on all of the interior parts (door pocket flaps and the console) so that I get a smooth result?
speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #13

Put the smaller parts in your dishwasher, the heat/steam will loosen the paint, then use finer steel wool. Works like a charm. For my Black interior paint I used spray cans but had to alternate between satin and flat to get the desired and matching finish.

I tried using the Chrome paint - it looked great for a short time then didn't wear well at all so I'll give the silver a try next.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyturtle View Post
Any tips for painting the console and how to remove the textured/rubber finish that's on all of the interior parts (door pocket flaps and the console) so that I get a smooth result?
Hi SpeedyTurtle (nice name),

By "pocket flaps" do you mean the armrests on the door? If so, they are easily removed by taking a toothpick and "forcing" the metal pin out on BOTH hinges. Careful handling the piece as it has these cumbersome little "eye rivet thingys". Hard to explain easy to see when you pull it off - they will fall out. No harm done. Just make sure you find them all!

As far as the rubberized texture….Leeper has a "clean" idea about putting in the dishwasher. My wife has been very patient with my Porsche works but putting something like that in her dishwasher would land me in hot water! Maybe you could do that, wife permitting, and then take sandpaper and remove the rest. You want to use 3 progressively finer grades of sand paper, and "wet sanding" techniques, in other words….soak the sandpaper for 15 mins (use 110, 220, 400 grits for most plastic items), then a dab of soap helps it to slide well. Use enough water so the piece does not dry. The final step BEFORE painting is to use rubbing alcohol to remove all grease. I tried to omit this step and had to re-sand and repeat. Never did that again!

Learn from our mistakes and you will have a great project….just do not be afraid to take your time! Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #15

Here are some before and after photos of my sport design center console. I sanded the console and related pieces then used a single coat of Duplicolor Textured Metallic paint in the medium silver color. On the advice of Homeboy981, I sprayed on an additional 3 coats of Duplicolor clear enamel. The parts came out great and have the same look and feel of the original finish. An added bonus is that I will now be able to touch up any scratches by spraying some of the paint in a cup and using a brush to touch up.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #16

Is this color much different than Alumalook?
savinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #17

That looks fantastic.

Did you fill in any scratches first or just sprayed right on top.

Do you think anything could be gained by spraying 1 coat of color, light sanding and then another color coat?

You mentioned it was kind of rubbery and textured so maybe sanding would be difficult?

I also wonder about adding more depth by color, clear, color and a couple coats of clear to finish it off?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Homeboy981

Garage
Good Job @linklaw! Well Done! :dance:

Makes a BIG difference for just a few bucks…and some time!

I had to put down a base coat, several color coats and AT LEAST 3 clear. Looks like clear is the key!

The cool part is…when it gets dirty, just wax it up (let the color and clear cure for AT LEAST a week), after that it keeps getting shinier and shinier every time I wax the color looks deeper. Give it some time to "breathe" and then hit it with the wax…and make sure your friends are tied down - 'cause will get slippery! At least it will repeal water too!

Glad to have helped. I thought I was on to something.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #19

Ray, I just sanded the scratched and chipped areas well before spraying the color coat. The paint is rough to the touch (textured) and the clear coat smooths it out quite a bit. I am very pleased with the way it turned out and, so far, has held up well. It is not so smooth that it can be waxed, but matches the factory painted parts I still have installed, in both texture and color. Homeboy hit the nail on the head with the clearcoat.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #20

It looks really close the original

sport design "granite" finish color. I am impressed. I have been thinking about converting my Sport Design interior to artic silver or alumalook but dreaded having to repaint all the dash parts as it is really just the center console, shifter, and door pockets that show wear. This might prove to be a nice enough match to not bother with doing the color swap.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote