View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi BoxsterSteve,
Thanks! The silver makes the car much more durable on the inside….just needs wax! You caught me on the carpet. Yes, my garage has carpet. It is not good carpet, just berber. I like to go out and just look at my car in bare feet. Not proud of it, but...I also make engine noises if I have not driven in a while.

Hi BrokenLinkage,
That could have been my nickname IF I had not replaced my shifter and linkage!

Not sure which part is …"on the bottom of the shift boot." Not sure how well it would hold up to painting. Got a pic? Most of the plastic in the car can be painted BUT it is a matter of HOW IT IS PREPPED!

Masking the project is actually the easy part. Get some blue painters' tape and take it a little at a time. Press one end and hold on the line you want to make with the tape and go inch by inch, bending tape as you go along. It will form, after a few layers, into a good line - even if it is curved. Just take little pieces and then put bigger pieces of tape over it to ensure it is covered well! If you have never done it - it will seem impossible. Just take it slow and remember if you leave out a little piece it WILL BE painted and it will be harder to get a mistake out than and extra minute of taping would have been! The boot itself is leather (I believe, or leatherette) and may not be best to paint it as the paint will chip with wear. Hope this helps!

If you decide to paint the interior - you will be VERY HAPPY with the results IF you employ standard painting techniques - even to a 'rattle can'!