Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Wd40

hey fellas,

i was reading online regarding the multiple uses of WD40. I just wanted to see what fellow boxsters thought.

i use it to rub off scuffs. its okay for the paint, correct?

i also read that by putting it on the wheels, it repels the brake dust. true? any experience with that use?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

WD-40 is a mixture of lubricants and solvents. I wouldn't touch my paint with the stuff on the car or on the wheels. It's great for getting the glue residue off of labels and that's about it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover which works great. I am sure that there are many other similar products formulated especially for removing bugs, tar, scuffs, tree sap, etc without any worry of damaging the paint. I'd suggest using one of these products rather than WD-40.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #4

Had a guy at the local Porsche dealership tell me that WD-40's good for restoring the plastic cowling material at the bottom of the windshield (ie the area from which the wipers sprout). He said spray it on, leave it for awhile, then wipe it off with a WD-40 moistened rag. I believe he also said you could do the same on the black base of the sideview mirrors that attach them to the car.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Garage
You might want to read the FAQ's on the WD-40 web site (WD-40 Lubricates, Cleans, Protects, Penetrates & Displaces Moisture) to be better informed (it's safe on paint and great for removing bugs). They won't say what the ingredients are that make up WD-40 but I've heard it's based on fish oil.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
You might want to read the FAQ's on the WD-40 web site (WD-40 Lubricates, Cleans, Protects, Penetrates & Displaces Moisture) to be better informed (it's safe on paint and great for removing bugs). They won't say what the ingredients are that make up WD-40 but I've heard it's based on fish oil.
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

Mostly hydrocarbons ie fuels and solvents, with petrolium oil and a little other stuff. What do you think that does to wax? Or a clear coat?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
i also read that by putting it on the wheels, it repels the brake dust. true? any experience with that use?
It won't repel brake dust (think about any oil). It will make the wheels easier to rinse.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
hey fellas,

i was reading online regarding the multiple uses of WD40. I just wanted to see what fellow boxsters thought.

i use it to rub off scuffs. its okay for the paint, correct?

There are better products for removing bugs stains, tar and road debris from your vehicle other than WD-40 . For example, a good quality Bug & Tar remover (like Turtle Wax), Goo Gone and Goof Off . Even, spray silicone can accomplish the task . As far as wheels are concerned, believe it or not, Pledge is great for putting the final touch on them; especially black ones * .

* On a warm day, apply a light mist on a clean wheel and let it set-up for a few minutes .
It will leave an incredible luster .
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Pledge is very good on plastic glass as well, it's not plexus but it's very good. As for lubricants, WD40 is always cheap and available, I like break free the best.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

Mostly hydrocarbons ie fuels and solvents, with petrolium oil and a little other stuff. What do you think that does to wax? Or a clear coat?

Not to be contentious here, but I'm pretty confident that most (all?) Bug & Tar Removers have solvents...otherwise they wouldn't work particularly well. I have little doubt that using them, while sometimes clearly necessary, does take off the wax. (The clear coat? Not so sure.) In that sense, WD-40 is no different. It is entirely possible there's other stuff in WD-40 that might, ultimately, be tougher on a car's finish, especially if left on for an extended period of time---I honestly don't know. As long as there is a reasonably priced product specifically made for this job, I'll go with it.

In a pinch I might use WD-40 for such a job. But (as is my practice with Bug & Tar Removers) I would quickly follow with a soapy wash mitt and a spray from the hose once the solvent had worked it's magic. Normally I'll follow that up with at least a little spray wax as the final step.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
Matt

When in doubt, check with your paint dude or dudette, or Porsche, for recommendations. There are plenty of great products out there so I wouldn't think of using WD-40 even if it was right in front of me. If people are using it for bug remover and other automotive (non lubricant) purposes, and it's working, it's probably fine.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 11-17-2011 at 05:35 AM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #12

Garage
I definitely wouldn't use WD-40 for aftershave .
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Not to be contentious here, but I'm pretty confident that most (all?) Bug & Tar Removers have solvents...otherwise they wouldn't work particularly well. I have little doubt that using them, while sometimes clearly necessary, does take off the wax. (The clear coat? Not so sure.) In that sense, WD-40 is no different. It is entirely possible there's other stuff in WD-40 that might, ultimately, be tougher on a car's finish, especially if left on for an extended period of time---I honestly don't know. As long as there is a reasonably priced product specifically made for this job, I'll go with it.

In a pinch I might use WD-40 for such a job. But (as is my practice with Bug & Tar Removers) I would quickly follow with a soapy wash mitt and a spray from the hose once the solvent had worked it's magic. Normally I'll follow that up with at least a little spray wax as the final step.
Totally agree, but the OP didn't ask about bugs, he asked about scuffs. There are no abrasives in WD40, just oils and solvents so it won't remove scuffs but will more likely do some etching if anything.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
What do you mean by scuffs?... Tar? A scratch? Rubber from a drash can? Always start with warm water and a high quality car soap and apply as little pressure as possible, you don't want to have happen to the Boxster what happened to the Benz. If this doesn't work try a "high quality" cleaner wax with a warm damp applicator. Because your Boxster now has a smooth finish and a high quality wax on it tar will likely remove with just soap and water. When you have to a good tar/bug remover will work, just make sure to wash it afterwords so no residue is left and then wax it afterwords.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #15

It will not hurt the paint and is very good for getting off adhesive, certainly better than goo gone.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good ol' Wikipedia. :dance:

I don't know that I'd use WD-40 unless it was very sparingly, and since tuanle's talking about scuffs I figure he means small blemishes that he can work out. I don't have all sorts of knowledge about WD-40, but I imagine in small doses it shouldn't hurt the paint...it's not like you're washing the car in it.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Gee, according to Wikipedia the fish oil theory is an urban legend :ah: My bad.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #18

When I used this to de-badge cars, I have left it on for hours at a time. Not an issue. It works great but very old adhesive takes time and often heat, in the form of a blow dryer.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #19

Garage
Where I work we are not allowed to use this. It is flamable as an aerosol and on rags. On open flame it's as close as you can get to a flame thrower. I cringe when people have told me they used it on spark plug wires in the damp to get a car running, but I guess that works to. As it burns it smell just like kerosene
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #20

the main ingredient in wd is mineral oil .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote