Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1

Clutch needs replacing at 60000 miles

I am about to purchase a used boxster s 2004 986, and i performed a PPI and the results were as follows:

Clutch needs replacing
RMS is leaking some oil
A/C condensor is damp

Inspector told me these things are normal on a 2004 model with 60k miles. What are your experiences?

One additional query I have is the following. The Dealer says car has sports exhaust. How can i be sure that the exhaust is the sports exhaust? Shouldn't there be a button on the dash inside? If not, does that mean that the exhaust is the normal one? What distinguishes visually a sports exhaust from a standard one? Thanks Guys!

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #2

Attached a pic of the car with the soo called sports exhaust.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Why not ask the dealer to demonstrate how the sport exhaust is actuated, there are valves that open if it is a factory PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust). There are also a list of codes in the trunk that verify the factory options.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I'm with Ghost. See what the code is for the sport exhaust on the S (didn't know they got one, personally), and then see if that code is on the label under your front trunk lid. If not, you don't have it from the factory, but that doesn't mean it wasn't added later. I also agree with what he says about the technician or whoever you're dealing with showing you how it is supposed to operate if you do indeed have it.

From the factory I believe the control is there, but I'm not sure if installing the exhaust afterward and not inlcuding the switch means the valve will only work past certain RPMs or throttle inputs, or if the valve is simply constantly open/closed when that control switch is not present. Can someone else with background on this confirm?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

sYeS can anyone with more insight into the sports exhaust shed more light please ?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Look in the front trunk lid for code XLF
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Matt

Your questions as follows: Leak: I've never had a leak and I've driven them 130,000 miles. Leaks can happen.

Clutch: Clutch's last depending on the driver. Some people get far less than 60,000 miles. Others get a bit more. It's certainly not unusual.

A/C: Should last longer but it can certainly depend on how much use it's received. A/C's in Minnesota will get far less use than those in Florida. In short, most used cars will need something, even if it's only new floor mats, you have to decide on whether the repairs needed are worth it to you.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 11-10-2011 at 04:53 PM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

60K for a clutch is reasonable.

RMS leaking is VERY common. Some people have replaced it 2 or 3 times.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #9

Offer them $2500 less due to the clutch and RMS problems, then use the savings to install new clutch, LN IMS, and RMS!
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40 View Post
Offer them $2500 less due to the clutch and RMS problems, then use the savings to install new clutch, LN IMS, and RMS!
I definitely agree with this. The clutch is a major repair and can be used as a big bargaining chip. Make sure you do the RMS together with the clutch, since they are located in the same place and will cost less in labor as a result. I had my RMS replaced for about 50 dollars when I did replaced it with the clutch (labor was $0).
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #11

rms leak may be common but replacing it with the Cayenne rms may not cure the issue. Many owners have had repeated leaks. something to keep in mind.
Also, if the clutch needs replacing then there is no reason not to upgrade the IMS to the LN unit. You may need to replace the flywheel if there is scoring/burns. That's an extra $1200 in parts over just doing the clutch only. In other words offering $2500 less is simply paying the asking price because this is a big expense that they've identified. I would also ask how how much life is left in those shocks. Those run $2K to replace. You should also budget for the AOS, coolant reservoir tank, MAF, and cats if you plan to put 8-10K miles a year.. another couple of grand. I only drive the car on weekends and easily hit that mileage. The seller seems to be offloading the car at the point where some big ticket items are on their last 20%. I would look for car with less mileage, I'm sure there 2004's that average under 5-6K miles for sale.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #12

60K is the same mileage that my clutch was down to the studs so you're in the neighbourhood. I did the LN IMS,RMS, and clutch at the same time well worth the added Piece of mind if you're doing the clutch anyway.

tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote