Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

steering rack

anyone know if the pinion tower on the boxster steering is serviceable? i've been doing some research on converting power racks to manual and one of the keys to success is being able to open the pinion tower and remove play in the torsion bar.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

hi. in my journey to see if i can give my boxster manual steering, i've found some good resources on how to convert the power steering rack to manual.

where i am stuck now is how to route the serpentine belt with both the power steering and a/c removed. there is a company that makes a bracket for the dfi 09+ cars that puts an idler pulley in place of the a/c, so all i need to do is confirm if the 09+ part number for the a/c compressor matches the one for the earlier cars.

anyone with a source to dfi part numbers?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

me again. a quick check of ebay shows that the jobber vendors are touting the dfi part as the same as the 986 part, so this idler pulley bracket should work:

Welcome to BGB Motorsports

which means i can run without a/c or ps pumps. $250 for the bracket + $100 for a used boxster power steering rack to convert to manual (+ install cost). save a few pounds, gain a few more hp, more road feel, get arms as big as tree trunks ...
Old 12-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #4

hah. found this; note the thin sliver of metal you would be relying on if you were to depower a power rack (assuming a 944 rack is similar to a 986 rack):

Old 12-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Wow ...yeah needs to twist to sense load and apply hydraulic pressure.....but really I can't imagine I am steering with that cross section in torsion

No electric PS for you?

Last edited by jaykay; 12-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

got all the electric ps parts but not installed yet. since I started tracking the car seriously it's taken all my time and money just to keep it in shoes, brakes and fluids.

Last edited by The Radium King; 12-08-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Yeah....for sure working on securing a work contract and then track car....
Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

ok, let the grand experiment begin. was feeling some bump steer with my new suspension setup so have some tie rods from Pelican on the way to sort it out. took the opportunity to find an inexpensive boxster steering rack on ebay and had it shipped direct to the fellow below:

944 Manual Rack | THE MACHINE SHOP

the conversion to manual is under way (ps fluid lines plugged, grease nipples added, torque rod shimmed) and i'll have the whole bit installed this spring. as I am not running AC, I have a ps delete pulley on order from gsr:

GSR Power Steering Pump Delete - Porsche 911, Boxster

should clean up the engine bay nicely (also have the sai deleted) and reduce parasitic load (hp will now come from my arms). uncertain what the driving experience will be like, but feedback I've gathered from the few who are running manual racks is that it is no biggie (while I do have wider front tires than stock, my car is also lighter).

will report back once it's in and I've had the car to the track.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Which tie rods did you get? I hope they are adjustable so that you can dial out the bump....I would imagine the outboard pivot will need offset spacers to do this.

Lets know how it all goes....never been that happy with steering feel on a Box. The best steering I have experienced was on a late eighties Nissan 240SX. Oddly enough it seems that they are now very sought after drift car
Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
...save a few pounds, gain a few more hp, more road feel, get arms as big as tree trunks ...
King, my power steering recently failed and I had "manual" steering for a couple of weeks including a day at the racetrack. This provided tons more feedback(!) but my entire upper body got quite a workout.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #11

what i've read, however, is that failed ps is different than a manual rack. with failed ps you have to exert additional effort as the hydraulic system is still in place; you have to force the fluid the length of the car and through an inoperable pump.

in all honesty, however, arms like paula abdul's legs (ie, as big as tree trunks) would be cool.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #12

I can't give any experience on PS vs manual on a Porsche, but I can on Chevy S10's.
You could get manual steering or power steering on an S10 from the factory. The main drawback of the manual was in very tight turns at a slow speed. I wouldn't say it was an arm workout, but it sure took more time to turn the wheels. Another drawback of manual was if the front wheels hit a rut or something. I believe the hydraulic fluid would cushion the blow a little before it reached the steering wheel.
Please do continue to let us know how everything turns out. I've daydreamed about what you're doing. I would love to completely strip a boxster down of the all
non-essentials. Delete the AC, PS and switch to an electric water pump.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Another drawback of manual was if the front wheels hit a rut or something. I believe the hydraulic fluid would cushion the blow a little before it reached the steering wheel.
I've had that in the back of my mind. a few years ago at my local track there was a guy in a lotus 7 that went into the rhubarb pretty hard when one of his front wheels offed and his steering bit him viciously.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #14

rack is done. got an ebay vendor to drop-ship to martin and he's done the work and shipping it off to me asap. for anyone who is interested and has a 99, the ebay vendor originally sent the wrong part, so he has a converted 99 rack available too.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #15

manual steering

Quick question, if you convert to manual or depowered ps rack can you leave the ps pump in place or will it eventually burn and lock? I'm assuming not pumping thru valves, hoses and rack it will not offer much resistance but would you would just let it fluidless? basically the quetion is if the power steering pump bearing is lubricated by the pentosin or is it just a normal dry bearing as in an alternator?
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 AM   #16

944 racks are well know to leak. Some replace it with a manual.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
Quick question, if you convert to manual or depowered ps rack can you leave the ps pump in place or will it eventually burn and lock? I'm assuming not pumping thru valves, hoses and rack it will not offer much resistance but would you would just let it fluidless? basically the quetion is if the power steering pump bearing is lubricated by the pentosin or is it just a normal dry bearing as in an alternator?
anyone has some input on this?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #18

depends. if you are keeping your ac then you just delete the pump altogether and run a shorter belt. if your ac is gone then you need some sort of dummy pulley there. GSR make one that mount in place of the ps pump. porsche make one that mounts in place of the ac pump (for the cayman r when it came out, but the ac pumps are the same throughout model years so should fit); both are about the same cost. GSR, before they made the dummy pulley, were just using a gutted ps pump and apparently no issues, so i assume a dry bearing.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
depends. if you are keeping your ac then you just delete the pump altogether and run a shorter belt. if your ac is gone then you need some sort of dummy pulley there. GSR make one that mount in place of the ps pump. porsche make one that mounts in place of the ac pump (for the cayman r when it came out, but the ac pumps are the same throughout model years so should fit); both are about the same cost. GSR, before they made the dummy pulley, were just using a gutted ps pump and apparently no issues, so i assume a dry bearing.
Yes im keeping the ac, that makes it easier
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #20

99 de-powered rack...

will it fit my 98?

thx, matt

Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote