Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #21
Ex Esso kid

I had to eat codene like pez yesterday just from loosening the lugs and I did that with a persuader. If this mechanic takes a pass, I'm going to have him pull it, if I can have him do it where it sits, I have a boatload of stands just need to get er high up. buy an engine stand, put it on my bench and work on it like a puzzle with all you guys as puzzle participants..

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-04-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #22
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Just so I can make sure I'm not confusing you, Ghost, I was really just saying talk to Jake, not send your car/block to him. He, Wayne, and others on here, as you know, know a hell of a lot about these engines and I can't imagine they'd be unwilling to answer your questions. And certainly not trying to bash your mechanic either, as it is certainly possible for these to be worked by good local indies. My ire was directed more at the questionable gooped up engine seller.

I think I misunderstood you at a point as well, as it seemed you were still planning on swapping the engine. Hope you can get it fixed, just don't get yourself messed up in the process and then be unable to enjoy it when it's back.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Ex Esso kid

O, I'm at so many cross roads right now, my dad is suffering dementia, my body condition made me give up my career and my future isn't certain, especially financially. I will know more about where I stand midwinter, I always wanted to do an engine job, like an homage to my dad. If I could put him in a time machine he would have had the thing fixed. Hopefully, this indy mechanic will jump in, BTW, no dis taken on the mechanic or anything else you guys offered. There are a lot of great things about this board, one of them is the friendship and assistance on whatever we can do to help keep each other's joy cars in proper order.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #24
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
Whats the deal with motor meister?

You want to read some horror stories about Motor Shiester? Drop in on the 911 board and type in the name...it will be enough to get you running the other direction.

Looks like a real hack worked on the 2.5 and didn't even bother to update with the LN bearing...it will only cost you more $ in the long run trying to do it cheap.
+1
Run, don't walk away from Motor Shyster. Those guys are here in SoCal. Of all the Porsche owners I know that have used them, not one was satisfied... not one. Google will tell the whole ugly story and save you from big lost $$$. I don't know how those guys keep their doors open.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #25
Ex Esso kid

My neighbor who is strong and young said he'd do whatever I need to drop the engine. If I decide to take him up on it, what is the consensus on the best way to get the boxster very high up without dropping her? I have two floor jacks and ten stands. I have the butt in the air via the Bentley recommended jack point. Would it be safe to put stands all around the back, leave that jack in place and use another to raise the front? If so, one side at a time?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #26

Right off the bat, the sealant that he goobered on the cam covers, using way too much, is the wrong sealant. its cheap permatex red (good product, just not the right one) instead of the german grey sealnt which is spec'd for the cam covers. That alone would raise a red flag for me.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 AM   #27
Ex Esso kid

For me, it's not so much the sealant as it is that it's dispersed like toothpaste, like it's his first go at it. The second issue is my engine had oil changes at the 1/2 interval, ran very strong and has matching numbers. Some of you guys may call this next part lore but my dad, (46 year head mechanic at his own dealership) always said: It's best to keep the original motor transmission together if you can. In his experiences he told me sometimes engine swaps just were not as crisp as rebuilding and joining back together what has already run together for a number of miles. He built race cars and could have gone to Indy if not for his kids, I'm going with his call and fixing my engine unless it has irreparable damage.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #28

Thumbs down Motormeister......RUN!!!

I would not let Motormeister pump my gas let alone touch my car. I've been watching a friend repair his Motormeister rebuild for the last year. Now that it's all torn down it is a complete Frankenstein with mismatched parts from wrong motors and poor workmanship. It's garbage now. Since they rebuilt (and I'm being polite by using that word) his old motor, he's stuck chasing down correct parts to have his motor properly redone.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
Ex Esso kid

Report: Much of the dis assembly to remove the engine is done, my only concern will be raising the rear of the car with the front on stands to get the engine out. Regarding the oil & filter, both look like they were just changed, no particles in filter of any kind. Do you have to pull the transmission to get the engine out?

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-06-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Ex Esso kid

OK So let me make sure I got this straight, I have to pull the transmission and full exhaust to get the engine out? WTF X10!! I'm wanting to do this less and less...Guess I'll be getting a 10mm triple sq and trying some of this tomorrow, no wonder the job is so much, just to get the engine out is a ball buster, then the cams need to be screwed with, oh joy...

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-06-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #31
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Report: Much of the dis assembly to remove the engine is done, my only concern will be raising the rear of the car with the front on stands to get the engine out. Regarding the oil & filter, both look like they were just changed, no particles in filter of any kind. Do you have to pull the transmission to get the engine out?
Just curious...
Why are you pulling the motor? Did you get a professional diagnosis that it is toast? Big chunks of metal in the oil filter? Zero compression? Connecting rods sticking out the side of the engine case? Scoped the cylinders and verified massive carnage? I haven't seen anything in your posts to indicate the motor needs to come out at all. It might be a simple repair for an experienced Porsche tech who knows these cars inside and out.

It would be a shame to remove the motor only to find a failed power steering line that lost fluid. I'm just sayin.......

Last edited by Topless; 11-06-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #32
Ex Esso kid

Metal jingling sound in right head and subsequent loss of oil from same head, the only reason the car is not blown up is because the engine failed while parking. I am not the mechanic my dad was but I wrenched plenty long enough to know whatever is going on is internal to the head. Since the repairs are so expensive, the way I figure it is either it gets pulled and repaired or if it's not do-able then you will start to see parts show up on ebay, transmission, wheels, etc then I'll just junk it and start over. As for the "dealer" they can wrench on my next Porsche which will be extended warrantied out the yang, as for this 13 year old unit, they ain't wracking up 10K on me, It's not worth it for a car I can't even drive anymore! Ten gees would be a sweet down payment on a Boxster spyder and don't think Porsche doesn't realize that too, no game in it for them in just parts, an effective repair would be a huge victory in an otherwise grim year.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-06-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #33
Ex Esso kid

Today, I will remove the exhaust, I'll disconnect as much as I can, then it's coming off the jacks and going to my mechanic. I can't feel my right foot and my left leg is in bad pain, I'm scared of losing my health if I proceed. I will ask my mechanic to remove the rest and put the engine on a bench. Since the oil and filter are very clean, I'm confident that my prudence in shutting it down and flatbedding it is going to pay dividends, if not there will be a bevvy of awesome parts available for anyone who needs them, don't count me out yet though. I'll take a lot of pictures once Chopper gets the engine out. Yeah Chopper, I've known him since age ten, his father used to drop engine blocks in our gas pump lanes as a joke, actually it was funny..His kid is a good wrench and a graduate of some academy for automotive repair, we'll see what he's got in the tank soon.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-07-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #34
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Metal jingling sound in right head and subsequent loss of oil from same head, the only reason the car is not blown up is because the engine failed while parking. I am not the mechanic my dad was but I wrenched plenty long enough to know whatever is going on is internal to the head. Since the repairs are so expensive, the way I figure it is either it gets pulled and repaired or if it's not do-able then you will start to see parts show up on ebay, transmission, wheels, etc then I'll just junk it and start over. As for the "dealer" they can wrench on my next Porsche which will be extended warrantied out the yang, as for this 13 year old unit, they ain't wracking up 10K on me, It's not worth it for a car I can't even drive anymore! Ten gees would be a sweet down payment on a Boxster spyder and don't think Porsche doesn't realize that too, no game in it for them in just parts, an effective repair would be a huge victory in an otherwise grim year.
Hmmmm, maybe just a valve spring. It happens and it is a much simpler fix. Doesn't sound like IMS bearing.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #35
Ex Esso kid

It's not the IMS for sure, I have the exhaust down except the cats the rear sensors are in there too tight to move. The good news is, Wednesday my car gets towed three miles from here to a four post lift, in a fully functioning repair shop where it can stay all winter, that should give me insane options.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-07-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #36
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That's good stuff, Ghost, just make sure it doesn't stay raised up with the suspension overextended for too long. Let's hope things aren't as bad as they seem and the car gets put back together sooner than later with minimal stuff needed.

Dibs on parts if you part it out.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #37
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
That's good stuff, Ghost, just make sure it doesn't stay raised up with the suspension overextended for too long. Let's hope things aren't as bad as they seem and the car gets put back together sooner than later with minimal stuff needed.

Dibs on parts if you part it out.
I'll keep you guys posted with pics, car can be lowered or raised at will, I don't see a need to have the tires off so allowing it to rest shouldn't be an issue. If I part it, there are lots of cool bits to have, the side intakes were sent out for black chroming, just one example.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #38
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
definitely willing to drive out there and pick up the parts, you're across the street compared to the rest of the country.

But I'm more hopeful that you won't need to go that route.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
Ex Esso kid

Well OD it leaves here Wednesday, maybe I'll have it out by Saturday, open next week and photographed.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #40

I know your pain Ghostrider. I pulled my engine and replaced it with a used one last winter. You might want to put the front end up on ramps to level the car for the pull. I used ramps as I don't like getting under the car when it is supported by 4 jack stands.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote