Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
...a Fiat?

How can one draw the comparison for a Boxster there?

I'm not trying to criticize, Ghostrider, I'm truly just looking for a little more clarification/elaboration.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
...a Fiat?

How can one draw the comparison for a Boxster there?

I'm not trying to criticize, Ghostrider, I'm truly just looking for a little more clarification/elaboration.
They flat spotted quite easily and felt out of round from the start of each trip, just my experience, others liked them.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
They flat spotted quite easily and felt out of round from the start of each trip, just my experience, others liked them.
So your issue with them is flatspotting. Fair enough. Your first 2 posts didn't explain why you had that opinion about the tires.

From a performance standpoint, I think they're excellent. The grip is great on the road and they get impressively sticky on the track. So much so that my S had trouble breaking the rear loose after a few laps when the tires get sticky. They also seem to be holding up really well as far as tread depth goes, even with a couple of track days in them. I've been thoroughly impressed and would buy them again. But yeah, after sitting they do flat spot which goes away after about 2 miles.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I have Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons on mine, have been great so far. A plus is that they have a 45,000 mile treadlife warranty to boot.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #25

Just throwing this in the hat .. Nitto NT05 .. kinda new but looks like a real good option.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #26
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I have Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons on mine, have been great so far. A plus is that they have a 45,000 mile treadlife warranty to boot.
I'm not sure that warranty can apply to our vehicles since you can't exactly rotate the tires (at least not easily) on a regular basis like you can with cars whose wheel sizes are not staggered, and I'm sure that's the kind of warranty that only applies when the tires are "properly maintained and rotated every 5-6,000 miles, blah blah". I have the same tires on my car (awesome), but I don't know if the warranty applies...think I'll look into that now that you've got me thinking about it. Guess it works out fine for people who put 8.5in wheels on all the way around, though.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 11-02-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #27

Exactly. The cost to rotate the tires at the tire manufacturer's specified interval will end up be the same cost as buying new tires. Not to mention they require 4-wheel rotation which will make warranty invalid for our cars unless you're running same tire size all around.

People should read the fine lines more often.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
count me as one of the ones who hate these tires.

can never get them balanced. the flat spots don't bother me too much because they work themselves out after a short period (5-10 minutes) but they are impossible to keep balanced. i've had them balanced 4 times now and after every long road trip it's time to do it again. never had the problem from the other tires i've used. they have plenty of tread left on them so they wear a lot better than others, but when the car comes out of winter hibernation i'll be replacing them.

i've spoken with sumitomo cust. svc and they keep paying for the rebalance, but it's not worth it.

as far as the ride, (when you're not wobbling all over the road) they're okay. cornering is decent but very spongey feeling. if you want a cheap tire then the htz iii are a good choice, but if you want a good tire with good performance i'd look elsewhere.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #29
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I'm all for getting good value at better prices, but when it comes to tires I am much less inclined to skimp on cost, it's just too important a part of the vehicle to me. I'm the same with my riding gear for the motorcycle, I'm willing to spend the money. When it comes to tires and brakes I'm willing to spend the money to be able to drive (spirited or otherwise) safely.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #30

Garage
17 inch rims limit your choices. The best rubber for 17 inch is the Michelin ps or a better choice mentioned earlier is Bridgestone RE11 s. if you move up to 18 than the hankook rs-3 and Dunlop z star spec all are available.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #31
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad View Post
Thanks guys, here's the pricing that I got from Discounttire.com. Hello Costco!

205/50 - 17 front
255/40 - 17 rear

discounttire.com
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110$109 front, $129 rear
Kuhmo Ecsta 4X Ku22 $120 front, $132 rear
Kumho Ecsta ASX $120 front, $144 rear

Falken FK 452 $131 front, $155 rear
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 $194 front, $276 rear
Pirelli P-Zero $239 front, $235 rear
Hankook tires sound good! Anyone else run them? How many miles can I expect? Boxster is my daily driver so I need a long lasting tire, 10,000 miles won't cut it
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #32
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
Hankook tires sound good! Anyone else run them? How many miles can I expect? Boxster is my daily driver so I need a long lasting tire, 10,000 miles won't cut it
If you drive a lot of straight roads you will get 10K+ miles on the Hankooks. If you hit the canyons a lot, maybe not. 5K is about the best I can do.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I have been around and around the tire dilemma and I have come to the conclusion that the Michelin Pilot Sports at the highest price are the most economical tire and best handling tire you can buy. This is after trying Hankook, Faulken and Yokohama and Michelin. This is a counter intuitive lesson in spending more to spend less. The Michelins last and last and last, the others...8k miles if you are lucky.
People forget to figure the savings from not having to pay for mounting & balancing & rebalancing so often with all the cheap tires.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #34

Garage
I have a 986, a 987, and a C 4 and I buy Hankook from Discounttiredirect to run on all of them. They hold wet or dry just as good as any of the others, my tire mounter says they are rounder than most and balance better and they are half the price of michelins. I drive mountain roads every day HARD and I rarely get more than 10K out of any tire on either car. I was a loyal michelin guy for 30 years, but for these cars I think they are over rated and way overpriced. Driving a porsche means buying tires regularly---if you really drive it like the performance car it really is.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwenz View Post
17 inch rims limit your choices. The best rubber for 17 inch is the Michelin ps or a better choice mentioned earlier is Bridgestone RE11 s. if you move up to 18 than the hankook rs-3 and Dunlop z star spec all are available.
You got it. That's part of the reason why I went to 18"s...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #36
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
You got it. That's part of the reason why I went to 18"s...
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Essentially every tire is available in both 17 and 18.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #37

Send a message via AIM to ryanwise
Topless: Not really. Ive been in the Tire business for 40 years and am the Director of Sales for a large Tire Distributor. The 17" is going the way of the 16". 18's are now the standard for most performance cars with 19"-20" the options. Tire manufacturers want to build tires that people want and every 6 months, more and more 17" performance tires are eliminated.
BTW, don't you guys forget about the Yokohama Advan AD08. I run them Auto-crossing and I would put them against the Pilot Sport or RE11's any day of the week.
ryanwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I'm all for getting good value at better prices, but when it comes to tires I am much less inclined to skimp on cost, it's just too important a part of the vehicle to me.
Besides, how else would we play frogger on the highway?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Essentially every tire is available in both 17 and 18.
Tirerack result for 205/50/17 & 255/40/17 = 30 results.
Result for 225/40/18 & 265/35/18 = 40 results.

More importantly Z1 Star spec is not available in 17"s for our fitment...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #40
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive;262597[B
]I'm all for getting good value at better prices, but when it comes to tires I am much less inclined to skimp on cost,[/B] it's just too important a part of the vehicle to me. I'm the same with my riding gear for the motorcycle, I'm willing to spend the money. When it comes to tires and brakes I'm willing to spend the money to be able to drive (spirited or otherwise) safely.
Eggzactly, why would you buy a premium sports car then get skimpy on something vitally linked to performance and safety?

PS I have no doubt the Yoko advans are great tires, the Sumatomo's are not being dissed because they are from japan

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 07-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote