Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #1

Top repair

Attachment 15509

Has anyone had this problem... it's a 2006.

It started doing this on the driver's side about 6 months ago about every 4th or 5th raising, now it does it both sides every time.

Is it because the cables are stretching?

Does anyone have a fix.

Thanks

Attached Images

MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

you are talking about where the material is just outside the frame? mine does that too, I just stop the top half way up, tuck the material in and keep on my merry way......and I have a new top too
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Take a look at this article.

convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech - mikefocke2
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the article link, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

There is velcro loop that holds the top to the frame that easily wears out and comes loose. Tighten the velcro and secure it closed with duct tape.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Thanks for the article link, I really appreciate it.
MH:

Since I wrote the DIY at the link that Spinnaker provided, an additional cause of the "cables not falling into the guide channels" has surfaced, and it specifically applies to 987's only.

It involves the loss of elasticity of a black elastic band which is sewn onto a triangular flap on the inside of the edge of the canvas top on one end, and screwed to a part of the convertible top frame on the other. Judging from the photo that you provided (which shows the cable outside the guide channels almost exactly where the aforementioned triangular flap would be attached), this "new" cause is probably the culprit in your case.

Take a look at this link for an explanation and a photo: New convertible top -- problems - RennTech.org Forums

Specifically look at cause #3 in post #6.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

I am having the EXACT same problem on the driver's side of my 03 986. I just had a new top put on and it started doing this.

Specific ideas for an 03?
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
I am having the EXACT same problem on the driver's side of my 03 986. I just had a new top put on and it started doing this.

Specific ideas for an 03?
Ron:

If your top started doing this immediately after, or a short while after, you had the new top put on, the first thing I would check is whether the cable itself (the one inside the black vinyl sheath) was either not attached or came loose shortly after the install.

The cable is attached at two points. One end is attached by means of a screw and serrated washer UNDER the base of the B-Pillar, where the screw first goes through a hole in the canvas and then screws into the metal part. If you lower the top about 75%, you will be able to see where the screw is supposed to go through the eyelet of the cable by looking at the underside of the B-Pillar, inboard and about 5 inches aft of where the rubber gasket on the quarter panel terminates. The other end (the forward end) is attached to an aluminum shoulder plate directly over the forward part of where the side window would be if it were rolled all the way up. It is attached there to a spring which is wrapped in heatshrink tubing.

Note that it is easy to strip the threads into which the T20 small torx screw is normally screwed in.

If the cable is not attached at either of those two points, you can get the "cable falling outside the guide channel" problem.

If your cable is firmly attached on both ends, take a look at the article to which Spinnaker linked for other possible causes and explanations.

As explained in that DIY, it is also easy to break a few of the small plastic parts that anchor the lower sides of the rear of the top. If those parts are not replaced, you can also get the problem that you are describing.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Schoir, thanks for the information.

It took me less than a half hour to complete the job and the top goes up and down perfectly now.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Schoir, thanks for the information.

It took me less than a half hour to complete the job and the top goes up and down perfectly now.

Regards, Maurice.