Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

2003/4 Roof weight ??

Can any of the folks who had converted their convertible top to the 2003/4 version comment on the weight of the top including frame ?

I've located a 2003 glass rear window top and since I'll be travelling to the US, am just wondering if I could bring back the top with me. Problem is the weight restriction is 32 kg for check in baggage. Any chance that convertible top weighs some kg less (for packing) than that ?

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Anyone ?? Even if it's the earlier plastic window roof ? I just want to get an estimate of the whole roof including frame (without having to dismantle mine !)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8 View Post
Can any of the folks who had converted their convertible top to the 2003/4 version comment on the weight of the top including frame ?

I've located a 2003 glass rear window top and since I'll be travelling to the US, am just wondering if I could bring back the top with me. Problem is the weight restriction is 32 kg for check in baggage. Any chance that convertible top weighs some kg less (for packing) than that ?
The roof FRAME weighs 28 pounds. The actual roof covering is in addition to that.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Chairmanron, thanks ! Looks like it's feasible... Now I just need to get it safely packed into a box that's 80" total dimension ! Probably need to take out a couple of arms...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8 View Post
Chairmanron, thanks ! Looks like it's feasible... Now I just need to get it safely packed into a box that's 80" total dimension ! Probably need to take out a couple of arms...
Good luck!

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote