Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Roock Porsche 997 Engine 3.6 / 3.8 Ltr Boxster Conversion Kit

Just found something new ( to me ) and interesting on ebay .. seems very interesting if for 2K means I can throw any 997 engine into a 2000 Boxster .. according to Wayne @ PelicanParts .. for my 2001 I'll just need the new 7.8 DME .. but very interesting if they can make it work for 2000 and older cars ..

Has anyone here have experience with this kit or with Roock Autosport ?

Porsche 997 Engine 3.6 / 3.8 Ltr Boxster Conversion Kit | eBay

"We offer a conversion kit (no engine) for the 997/997 S engine so it can be installed in any Porsche Boxster / Cayman. You will receive the Software and a VarioCam Switch to run the new style engine (VarioCam+). Each Project is different so please contact us and we will help you."

Last edited by nefarious986; 10-30-2011 at 07:14 PM.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

If you're serious about doing this send me a message, I would be interested in your current engine.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986 View Post
Just found something new ( to me ) and interesting on ebay .. seems very interesting if for 2K means I can throw any 997 engine into a 2000 Boxster .. according to Wayne @ PelicanParts .. for my 2001 I'll just need the new 7.8 DME .. but very interesting if they can make it work for 2000 and older cars ..

Has anyone here have experience with this kit or with Roock Autosport ?

Porsche 997 Engine 3.6 / 3.8 Ltr Boxster Conversion Kit | eBay

"We offer a conversion kit (no engine) for the 997/997 S engine so it can be installed in any Porsche Boxster / Cayman. You will receive the Software and a VarioCam Switch to run the new style engine (VarioCam+). Each Project is different so please contact us and we will help you."
Stay away from Fabian Roock ! Or anyone associated with him !!! A thorough search with reveal plenty of stretchy things about him .
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the heads up Sr. Rocket...What is a "vario cam switch" referred to on fleabay?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

with this kit you don't need to change the dme; the 'switch' allows you to use your old dme to control the variocam+ on the younger engines. the newer engines change the cam profile as rpms increase (variocam+) but the old dmes don't have the logic to do this. so, roock adds a 'switch' that triggers the variocam+ based on egnine rpm.

todd holyoak, one of the innovators on engine swaps for boxsters, tried this and if you search you can find info on the various mechanisms he used to do this. the end result for him, however, is that you just can't make a switch work as well as a dme specifically designed to correlate this task with a/f mixtures, timing, etc. so, todd instead went the direction of swapping dmes. the issue there is that the 7.2 and 7.8 dmes differ significantly on communications protocols (ie, the 7.2 has dedicated signal wiring, while the 7.8 multiplexes multiple signals on single wires) so swapping the dme also means chaning hvac control unit, dash cluster and abs controller (as well as revising/extending wiring harnesses).

what you probably get from roock is a 993 engine mount, some transmission mount spacers, perhaps some hoses to adapt fuel delivery, aos, etc., and the variocam + switch.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

stay away from roock. more damage leaving his place than i had bringing it in. and he still charged me for his time even though he didn't fix anything and caused more damage.