Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #1

Garage
Don't do like I just did...

I didn't even think about it. I opened the back of my wife's soft top so I could remove the carpeted engine cover to dye the carpet where the sun has faded it and went to push the rear of the top into service mode and CRACK. A nice big crack all the way across her rear plastic window. It was a little chilly this morning and I do know better but I completely forgot about the hazards of cold and soft tops.

The only good thing is I had taken the top off of my car when I put the Zeintop on it so I happen to have a spare around or I would be totally gutted right now.

Don't do like I just did...

Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

It's supposed to be so easy to get the entire top mechanism off the car, I wonder if it isn't easier to replace the top fabric/window with it off the car.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-21-2011 at 10:17 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

Garage
I just took the top and frame off her car and replaced it with the top and frame from mine. Three bolts on each side plus you have to undo the push rods but very simple procedure as long as you have two people.

Now I am going to take the fabric off of her frame and replace it with a blue top (it will look great with her car) and then in the spring I will put that back on her car and I will replace my fabric because by then I will probably want to go for a ride with the top down. But I am happy with the Zeintop for winter I can assure you.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #4

I don't understand why they didn't just design a recessed zipper around the perimter of the window. That would have made replacing the window an inexpensive snap. My softop is in mint condition but due to some ice that I stupidly removed while the plastic was ice cold I put a small hairline crack in the plastic, which of course has now grown from nickel size to this T shape crack.
I'm almost tempted to replace the plastic only because I prefer the bigger visibility size to a small glass window top. And I'm guessing I'd save about $700 between labor and parts. Better spent on tires, body work touch ups or suspension. This canvas can easily go another 10 years and a properly maintained plastic window will looks crystal clear for most of that time. I never had to do the chop, after a while the bend has memory to it and folds correctly. Downside of course is not having the convenience of heating the window.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #5

Garage
I agree on the zipper or lack thereof. I think the aftermarket top houses might find a new selling point in a top that had a zippered rear window and they could also make and sell the replacement windows. I know I might spend a bit more on the top if I knew I could replace the rear plastic for $100 and do it easily.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

+1 for a zippered, replaceable rear window!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Anyone else who needs to move the top, hair dryer used correctly is your friend.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I'm almost tempted to replace the plastic only because I prefer the bigger visibility size to a small glass window top.
It's actually not that bad, you will get used to the slightly smaller window very quickly
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #9

I just replaced the top on my '03 986 with a new GAHH unit with glass (original had glass too). Visually the new top made a huge difference and the exterior now looks brand new in a way that endless waxing could not accomplish. It also helped that the previous tired looking top was tan/beige (on a gray car - blah!), and had become worn on the sides where it folds when retracted. The new top is black, which will hide such wear much better.

For anyone considering a top replacement I highly recommend the GAHH top with the glass window.

(Photo below)
Attached Images

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Anyone else who needs to move the top, hair dryer used correctly is your friend.
+1! In NC it is warm enough to drive all winter (high 40s to high 50s) but cold enough to put small cracks in the plastic...a hair dryer takes seconds to warm the window...even a warm towel from the clothes dry laid on it will do the trick.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #11

Even cheapo Miatas with the plastic back window unzipped and laid flat BEFORE folding the top down.
They also were easy and cheap to replace the plastic.