Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
here's something i've been thinking - why do we even have a 6-speed on the S? the driveshaft offsets with the longer tranny are poor, and the ratios seem a bit wonky. the 3.2 should have enough torque to work great with the taller ratios. what are the benefits? has anyone put a 5-speed in an S? cheaper and appears to be a bit less prone to the 2nd gear issues.
I have a friend that bought a S with a blown tranny. He put in a 5 speed to use it for autocrossing because of the better ratios.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Second gear synchro has been an issue as long as I have owned my Boxster.

I have not been able to downshift from third to second for two and a half years. It has actually taught me to be a better driver. I can shift from first to second normally except for the occasional crunch. The whole thing is quite usable even in its compromised condition.

The biggest reason I have not repaired it is $3000 for rebuilt gearbox + $1500 labor + $800 IMS Retrokit + $800 new clutch

So for $6100 I can live with it just fine until the clutch needs to be replaced and then I will do it all.
Try double clutching. Put it in neutral from third, then let the clutch OUT. With the clutch out, give the throttle a big blip then quickly put the clutch in and downshift to second. I had Alfas which have notoriously bad synchros and i learned well. Stll catch myself doing sometimes in the Boxster.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #23

is this a "manual" transmission issue only? I love my Tip! ..i'd sure hate to have to drop $4k on tranny work.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I think the Tips have their own set of issues unrelated to this, so don't worry, this isn't one of them. Usually things like this only happen due to the almost inevitable additional wear and tear that can happen to a manual tranny when you don't shift properly/beat on it A LOT...or when the previous owner does it and you simply inherit it in some cases.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 09-25-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Try double clutching. Put it in neutral from third, then let the clutch OUT. With the clutch out, give the throttle a big blip then quickly put the clutch in and downshift to second. I had Alfas which have notoriously bad synchros and i learned well. Stll catch myself doing sometimes in the Boxster.
I'll give double de-clutching a whirl. I can sometimes push on the first gear gate and then come back into second and get in that way but it is not very often. The only time it is a pain is when traffic slows down and then speeds up again without getting down into first gear speeds.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #26

2nd gear pop out

I had the same kind of problem with my 03 S - it would pop out, or not fully engage in 2nd gear, often when cold, but usually as a result of not really firmly pulling it completely into 2nd gear. So long as I consciously thought about it when shifting up or down into 2nd, I'd be alright, but it's get me when I was thinking about other stuff and not paying complete attention.

Anyway, I just bought and installed the GBox 2nd gear detent upgrade, and it's completely taken care of the problem. I had no way of knowing if my tranny had any kinds of serious issues, but I took a chance, and it feels perfect, and I haven't had a problem since the install. Everything seems perfect - knock on wood.

Just wanted to let you guys know...

Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto Pat View Post
I had the same kind of problem with my 03 S - it would pop out, or not fully engage in 2nd gear, often when cold, but usually as a result of not really firmly pulling it completely into 2nd gear. So long as I consciously thought about it when shifting up or down into 2nd, I'd be alright, but it's get me when I was thinking about other stuff and not paying complete attention.

Anyway, I just bought and installed the GBox 2nd gear detent upgrade, and it's completely taken care of the problem. I had no way of knowing if my tranny had any kinds of serious issues, but I took a chance, and it feels perfect, and I haven't had a problem since the install. Everything seems perfect - knock on wood.

Just wanted to let you guys know...

Pat
Very cool!

I was debating on getting this i hear it works very well for the 996 as well!
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
I have a similar problem which only occurs BEFORE the car gets to operating temp. Once it reaches operating temp, shifting into 2nd is buttery smooth. But before it reaches temp, if i want to use 2nd gear, I just have to pull a little bit harder to keep it in 2nd and it never pops out if I use a little bit of muscle.

Thoughts on this?
mine does it on the first shift or 2 of the day when its cold, but it does not pop out in the traditional sense, you just have to hold it when you let the clutch out, its weird...once it is in gear for the first time you can drive it around in 2nd without issue, I have been babying 2nd since I have noticed the issue, hoping it does not get worse!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #29
still plays with cars...

Garage
Similar issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
mine does it on the first shift or 2 of the day when its cold, but it does not pop out in the traditional sense, you just have to hold it when you let the clutch out, its weird...once it is in gear for the first time you can drive it around in 2nd without issue, I have been babying 2nd since I have noticed the issue, hoping it does not get worse!
I don't have the pop-out problem, just an occasional mild crunch on the initial 1-2 shift of the day if I rev out in 1st gear. If I granny-shift into 2nd, no crunch, but only on the initial 1-2 shift of the day. The rest of the time driving/shifting is issue-free.

I posted about this elsewhere, planning on doing a fluid change. What do you other owners think about a G-Box detent upgrade, especially those who have done it? Help the problem, or a waste of money for me?
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Second gear synchro has been an issue as long as I have owned my Boxster.

I have not been able to downshift from third to second for two and a half years. It has actually taught me to be a better driver. I can shift from first to second normally except for the occasional crunch. The whole thing is quite usable even in its compromised condition.

The biggest reason I have not repaired it is $3000 for rebuilt gearbox + $1500 labor + $800 IMS Retrokit + $800 new clutch

So for $6100 I can live with it just fine until the clutch needs to be replaced and then I will do it all.

Why would you waste $800 on a IMS bearing when you already have 1?? :dance:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
I don't have the pop-out problem, just an occasional mild crunch on the initial 1-2 shift of the day if I rev out in 1st gear. If I granny-shift into 2nd, no crunch, but only on the initial 1-2 shift of the day. The rest of the time driving/shifting is issue-free.

I posted about this elsewhere, planning on doing a fluid change. What do you other owners think about a G-Box detent upgrade, especially those who have done it? Help the problem, or a waste of money for me?
The detent upgrade will help. I installed the CA motorsports shift arrester arm & detent upgrade & it improved shifting to all gears but it requires removal of the tailshaft housing for installation.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #32

Just paid $3600 to have the trans sent to Calif Motorsports in AZ & reinstalled by indy. Porsche-rebuilt installed by dealer was quoted at $7400.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #33

Cool 2nd gear = new GBox detent

It sounds as if some of you guys may have more serious problems than did I, but I have not changed tranny fluid, or had any other tranny mods, other than installing the detent. I could immediately tell that it would engage in 2nd gear earier and transmits a slightly better feeling through the linkage, and that it was an instanteous fix. I've even tried shifting rather softly into 2nd on numerous occasions, and no problems whatsoever. So, for $149 for the part, it's a relatively cheap gamble.

Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #34

If your transmission is grinding or doesn't to go into 2nd during the 1st to 2nd shift when cold, get the G-Box second gear detent upgrade. As long as the problem is not severe this will fix your issue. I put one into the S over two months ago and have not had the problem again. It's even easy to install with the transmission in the car. The longer you let the grinding continue the problem, the worst it will get.

Last edited by thoward77; 04-21-2012 at 11:03 AM.
thoward77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #35

Garage Fix

Thought I would attach an article in our local Porsche club newsletter. I know these guys well. They are not mechanics but took on a huge project and fixed the 2nd gear problem while they were doing the clutch and ims. There will be a second part of this article in the May issue. It can be done in your garage with a little research and a lot of guts.

P.S. Done on jack stands.

http://www.kypca.org/content/pacesetter/2012_04.pdf