Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
The first choice should be 10W40 year round use.
WRONG. I am not aware of a single Porsche approved 10W40 oil.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #22

I change my oil once a year in the fall after around 2500 to 3000 miles; Castrol Syntec 10W40 is my oil of choice. LN Engineering, Jake Raby and JFP in PA all recommend oils other than Mobil 1 0W40, for obvious breakdown characteristics.

My '02 S with 21k on the clock has no start up noise or other issues.

Not to get into an oil debate, but I wouldn't put Mobil 1 in my lawn tractor.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Since this post has predictably turned into a discussion of which oil is best, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-tech/60791-calling-all-engineers-motor-heads.html
Thank you for providing a link to this most excellent (and very long) article. Everyone here should read the entire article before drawing conclusions regarding their choice of oil and/or change intervals. I've always been happy with Mobil1 0-40 every 5000 miles or spring and fall. Having read this article, I think I'll stick to my plan. Flame on, boys!
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I change my oil once a year in the fall after around 2500 to 3000 miles; Castrol Syntec 10W40 is my oil of choice. LN Engineering, Jake Raby and JFP in PA all recommend oils other than Mobil 1 0W40, for obvious breakdown characteristics.

My '02 S with 21k on the clock has no start up noise or other issues.

Not to get into an oil debate, but I wouldn't put Mobil 1 in my lawn tractor.

You need to read-up on L&N's recommendations, because your statement above is inaccurate, at best.

You need to drive your Boxster more! 21,000 miles in 9 years? That's crazy. Olive Oil would hold up well in that environment.

My Toro lawnmower is +18 years old. Only lawn mower I've ever owned. I wish it would die, so I can justify buying a new one, but it won't. Still starts on the first pull. I've used Mobil and Red Line in it.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #25

My rull of thumb

They way I have been doing it for years, is 3,000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first, and that is with all my vehicles. and as for which oil to use i use Mobile 1.
But everyone has their own opinion.
DRMC911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #26

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
5k-7k miles, or twice a year, whenever i can get it to the shop.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Thank you for providing a link to this most excellent (and very long) article. Everyone here should read the entire article before drawing conclusions regarding their choice of oil and/or change intervals. I've always been happy with Mobil1 0-40 every 5000 miles or spring and fall. Having read this article, I think I'll stick to my plan. Flame on, boys!

Wow. After reading that article I'm afraid to put coco butter on my face; never mind choosing the right engine oil . So what's the verdict for normal to "spirited" street
driving ? Either 0-30 or 10-30 synthetic ?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Wow. After reading that article I'm afraid to put coco butter on my face; never mind choosing the right engine oil . So what's the verdict for normal to "spirited" street
driving ? Either 0-30 or 10-30 synthetic ?
JD,

The Porsche approved oil list doesn't have any 30 grade oils listed on it -- pretty much 0W-40 and 5W-40 (couple of 50 grades) and all are synthetics.

After my factory fill, I used Motul 8100 5W-40 for 3 oil changes and Mobil 1 5W-40 (TDT) for 2 changes. I just recently changed the oil and have started using Redline 5W-40. Although the previous oils gave me good UOA reports, the car always would have valve train startup noise. With Redline, that noise is now gone.

I change my oil at approx 7500 mile intervals, mainly because the Porsche oil tests are run for approx 200 hrs which roughly equates to 6000 miles driven.

BTW, as we've both seen, summer is fading fast in our area so don't worry about the coco butter

Regards,
paul...
PS: Tried to upload my UOA history (pdf) but it didn't work (IE or Mozilla).

Last edited by paulv; 09-21-2011 at 04:35 AM.
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
JD,

The Porsche approved oil list doesn't have any 30 grade oils listed on it -- pretty much 0W-40 and 5W-40 (couple of 50 grades) and all are synthetics.

After my factory fill, I used Motul 8100 5W-40 for 3 oil changes and Mobil 1 5W-40 (TDT) for 2 changes. I just recently changed the oil and have started using Redline 5W-40. Although the previous oils gave me good UOA reports, the car always would have valve train startup noise. With Redline, that noise is now gone.

I change my oil at approx 7500 mile intervals, mainly because the Porsche oil tests are run for approx 200 hrs which roughly equates to 6000 miles driven.

BTW, as we've both seen, summer is fading fast in our area so don't worry about the coco butter

Regards,
paul...
PS: Tried to upload my UOA history (pdf) but it didn't work (IE or Mozilla).
I'll take your advice . Both on the oil and the coco butter . I usually switch to Oil of Olay this time of year any way .
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Since this post has predictably turned into a discussion of which oil is best, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

I was first convinced that, based on several on line sources, I should use a heavier weight oil, I used both 15-50 and 20-50 for "flush" oil changes of about 1k miles each (I just got my car and the previous owner went long on the oil change intervals), both to try to get rid of the start up rattle and since I live in Miami Florida where its always hot, to protect against heat breakdown of oil. The heavier weight oils made no demonstrable difference in start up clatter.

Then I read the article below and I am a now a convert to M1 0-40. The long and the short of the article is that oil flow is what is important. You want as much volume going through the motor as possible at all times. Since 0-X weight oil is thinner when cold than a 5, 10, 20-X oil, it will provide more volume while the motor is warming up.

And remember, oil temp lags behind coolant temp during warmup. My Durametric shows that oil temp is about 10 C degrees behing coolant temp until the coolant gets close to 90 C, which takes a good 20 minutes in my car with combined city/highway driving. Once its up to temp, the oil temp is a little less than 10 C hotter than the collant temp, in the 100-105 C. range.

Once the oil is hot, the viscosity in now at 40, which at the oil temps I am running, is more than enough to protect the motor. Now, if I were running my car on the track, oil temps might be significantly higher, so I might consider a heavier oil.

But for the type of driving I do, I am convinced a 0-40 oil will protect the engine better during the crucial warm up, which if you do a lot of short trip city driving, will be a big portion of the time you are driving your car.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-tech/60791-calling-all-engineers-motor-heads.html
Interesting article… It looks like to me I have to plug-in an oil heater and get the oil up to 180 degrees before starting the car. This could be a great opportunity for someone to invent a Porsche oil heater! Turn the key… Analyze and heat the oil… Start the car. Oh Jake... Got another project for you.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #31

Gee Flavor 987S who peed in your Wheaties ??? Just because you have not seen any 10W40 approved on a Porsche list doesn't mean 10W40 is not the right weight oil to use. Look what the shop owners say.

My 2000S Porsche owners manual states to use 10W40 synthetic as the first choice. And the car has a Mobil 1 recommended sticker under the trunk lid. If Porsche recommendations are so important to you, please ponder this thought. Porsche's recommended oil change interval is 15,000 miles. Do you agree with that ? I'd bet you don't. As we can see in the posts about oil and change intervals, just about everyone doesn't agree with Porsche on that. So why is the Porsche approved list so important to you ?

Here is another example. My 2000S came with Porsche recomended tires. They were awful. I replaced them with low cost non Porsche approved tires that out perform them and give me vastly improved handling.

I drive my Porsches, Fords, trucks and motorcycles well above average amount of miles per year. In the 40 years I've been driving, I have logged well over 2 million miles on vehicals I own and self maintain. I think my oil practices have proven to be correct because of the long life and good running condition of my motors and drive lines. I'm very satisfied with my choices and feel comfortable recommending them to others. They a based on experience and a considerable amount of reseaching my choices before I buy.

10W40 synthetic is a good choice for the 986 cars. 3 to 5 thousand mile changes depending on use is good.

Bill
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #32
Forum Sponsor

Garage
I agree. 3000-5000 miles is about the longest I recommend going with the oil changes. Porsche's recommendations are just too long.

-Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #33

My last change, I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge 5w40 to see if it would reduce the "chatter" at startup. What's this "Redline" stuff? I'd like to get rid of the cold start chatter (ticking sound) at startup.

(wayne: welcome to the board!!)
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
What's this "Redline" stuff? I'd like to get rid of the cold start chatter (ticking sound) at startup.
http://www.redlineoil.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
Gee Flavor 987S who peed in your Wheaties ??? Just because you have not seen any 10W40 approved on a Porsche list doesn't mean 10W40 is not the right weight oil to use. Look what the shop owners say.
Just because someone disagrees with your irresponsible (at best) recomendation, that means I want to piss in your breakfast? Grow up and contribute some sound advice. And if your going to make strong recommendations ("The first choice should be 10W40 year round use") that fly in the face of Porsche, let other, not so knowledgeable Porsche enthusiasts who visit this board know the advice you are offering is counter to Porsche.

Lastly, your owner's manual oil list is out of date, and Porsche has released several updates since 2000.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #36

So what is the updated recommended oil by Porsche as of SEP, 2011?
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike View Post
Everyone has a different approach on this. Porsche recommends every 15k. I think the majoriity of owners do it around 5k. I tend to be between 3-5k. Serves 2 purposes: good engine maintenance and an opportunity to see if I am having an IMS issue by monitoring for metal shavings in the filter.

I also change it before storing in the winter.
Whoa! I'm not so sure Porsche recommends changing the oil at 15K miles, at least not for everybody!!! AFAIK, they have changed their recommendations several times. If the OP wants to be official, he needs to get a hold of the official maintenance book. Go to the dealer and order one! That will answer the question for once and for all, and will also be a good reminder of the other maintenance requirements.

I'm pretty sure the own official maintenance book for my 08 Cayman says to change at 12K miles, not 15K. It doesn't matter, however, because there's no way I'm letting the oil be used for that long. As a practical matter, I totally concur with your suggestion to change the oil at 5K and before storing for the winter (in my case, that's the same time).
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
So what is the updated recommended oil by Porsche as of SEP, 2011?
The site owner at Renntech, Loren, maintains a very accurate list for Contributing Members. We are not allowed to post it on other sites. The list is several pages long (12?) and contains hundreds of approved oils br brand and country locations.

The only Porsche approved oil viscosities, for modern day Porsches (for example 996/986 and newer) are 0W40, 5W40, and 5W50.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Whoa! I'm not so sure Porsche recommends changing the oil at 15K miles, at least not for everybody!!! ................

My 07 has a 20K mile oil change interval according to the service schedule. I ignored that recommendation and I think that for 08+ (your model) they backed off to 12K miles(as you noted). Looks like there was a big "Go Green" push in '07!

Just a quick story: I also have a MB E320 and when we bought it, MB was giving away free oil changes based on the oil life monitor. My car would go in at approx 15,000 miles. When MB stopped the free oil changes, they changed the oil change intervals to 10-12,000 miles (depending on AMG or regular engines). The only good news is that my UOAs very about the same as a friend who was changing his oil at 7500 miles (same yr/model E320).

Regards,
paul...

Last edited by paulv; 09-22-2011 at 06:34 AM.
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #40

I don't understand the hostility from Flavor 987S. My recommendations are good. They may be different from his beliefs. I don't blindly follow Porsche. They apparently don't always get it right as we all conceed there are flaws with our cars. I have enjoyed both of mine and will contiue to buy the brand. And I will maintain it my way and get longer than normal life from it at lower than normal cost. Happy Boxstering.