Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Garage
Autocross and other quick questions!

Hello everyone! This is offcially my first post and I'm really just looking for some information from everyone here to make sure this is really the car i want (Which I'm pretty dang sure it is :P )

So first things first, does anyone autocross their base model 986's?? I know these cars are in C-stock along with the much less powerful but lighter Mazda Miatas. Do they seem to hold their own against them, and in general in the class?

Secondly, I'd love to know how high each gear will run. I really just need to know the first 2 or 3 gears. I'm assuming first will do about 45 mph in a base model, and slightly less than that in the 6 speed transmition.

Next, are there big websites on where to buy performance parts besides Pelicanparts? For isntance bavarian autosport is big for BMW's. Do such companies/websites exsist?

AND! Asside from racing, do you feel as though i'd be disspointed buying a base model instead of an S. I'm looking to spend less than $15,000 and i think if i bought a base model, i could put the minor modifications into that i would want instead of just leaving an S model stock.

Some one help me out a little bit :P

Thanks a ton!!
~Brad

Last edited by Mrmaddbrad; 09-12-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Yes a Base Boxster is a blast and can be competitive in C stock. I run PCA so I only compete against other Porsches though. Plenty of online sites for performance gear. Pelican, GSR motorsport, Red Line, to name just a few. I think 2nd tops at 60mph, 3rd at 85, in a 2.5 car but it is somewhat dependent on your tire choices.

Jump in, the water is fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Garage
Oow, you have no idea how bad i want to go swimming in that kind of water! lol

Yeah, but here in a few months i think that I am going to buy one. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a base model, but everything about an S looks so much more appealing! Suspension, brakes, extra hp. Everything!

Has anyone driven both? Do you feel as though you could go back to driving a base model after driving an S?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
As an Instructor I get to drive em all: Box S, 930, 951, GT3RS, Carrera GTX, Cayman R, Boxster Spider, Z06, AMG, M5 etc. I don't suffer from "S" envy at all but I know a lot of drivers who do. To each his own. I like my lil 2.5L pea shooter just fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #5

I autocross my 986S in a "few" autocrosses each year, so I can't speak for the base Boxster, however you must be careful on what modifications you do because it could bump you into a higher class, where you find yourself less than competitive. SCCA is pretty strict about their stock classes.

The best modification I made that made the car a lot better to flog around the course was new tires. I went with the RE11's. They are amazing.

Have fun autocrossing!

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S

Last edited by tnoice; 09-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

Garage
Wow guys! Already being very helpful!

I do know about autocross rules. I am currently autocrossing a 1986 BMW 325es in G-stock. Tires are the biggest modification you can make, while you can still do shocks, new air intake, and front sway bar modifcations and still remain in stock class.

I don't plan on doing much to my boxster, MAYBE a front sway bar if i can find the right one. But for the most part, tires will be the only thing i will be using and hopefully a good set of R-compounds will let me dominate the 10 miatas in C-stock at my local autocross...

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Topless, do you find the acceleration in a 986 vs a 986S to be as significant as people make it seem? I figure even the base model will be way more fun than what i have now :P
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad

Topless, do you find the acceleration in a 986 vs a 986S to be as significant as people make it seem? I figure even the base model will be way more fun than what i have now :P
Sorry to butt in.......

I drove a few different cars before getting the S. The base seemed to be a little underpowered.... And I drove both a 1999 and 2000 which had differing horsepower. The S was significantly quicker and, in my mind, a whole different beast. Not that a isn't worthy.......

It all comes down to driver anyway on a track. For me, I just drive on the street.
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #8

As long as you're comparing like years of Base and S then yes they are very comparable. You have a bigger difference when comparing a 1997 base and a 2004 S for example. I had a 2001 base and now a 2002 S and the S has more torque and HP but the 2.7 had a manual which makes up for a lot of difference. As a track car either will do nicely.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Garage
Alright. Thanks guys! It seems to me like i just need to get out there and start test driving. I work at a German auto mechanic and have been waiting for some to come in for some service work, but in the few months i've been there none have come in!! I'm dying to drive one! lol

Anyone live in Northern california thats willing to let me drive theres??
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Wow guys! Already being very helpful!

A Box S is definitely faster than a base Box in a straight line. So is an M5, GT3, MB AMG, C6 Z06, Viper and on and on. There is always a faster car out there... it never ends. I am kinda pragmatic. A car is simply a tool and I want the right tool for the job. My goal in performance driving is not TTOD but rather to get that spacer between the seat and the steering wheel really lined up With two TT championships and 6 PCA track records in BSX it is working pretty well.

A Base Box among a fleet of Miatas is a good race. Last time I checked SCCA they bumped the 986 Box S in with C5 Corvettes. If you show up in the Box S you are bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can still win here but you will do it on talent and not with the car. Use the local AX rules and class structure to your advantage.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
A Box S is definitely faster than a base Box in a straight line...........

A Base Box among a fleet of Miatas is a good race. Last time I checked SCCA they bumped the 986 Box S in with C5 Corvettes. If you show up in the Box S you are bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can still win here but you will do it on talent and not with the car. Use the local AX rules and class structure to your advantage.

They bumped the 986s with the c4 corvette in BS. The c5 is in AS. The 987s gets the pleasure to play with the c5s.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #12

Garage
Yeah the 986S is in B Stock with c4 corvettes. The base 986's are in C-Stock with miatas. Which is why i think they'll get destroyed in B-stock but be competitive in C-stock.

So it looks like i'll probably get a base model. Hmm... Talking to people totally changed my mind about things :P

Hearing that they feel a little under powered. Is there anything you can do to change that, like a new ECU or anything like that?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

I track my base '99 pretty often and I've driven an S model too. Yes, the S will pull better out of a turn but a 987 will outpower that and a 997 will outpower that. Its easy to get onto the horsepower merry-go-round.

The base Boxster has more than enough power so I can learn to drive well on a track and have more fun that I've ever had before and still be able to give myself a darn good scare. When you think that you're going off into the dirt at 110mph, you could care less about your HP and a lot more about your brakes!

In regards to Boxster vs Miata, I happen to own both and had them both at the Streets of Willow last weekend. My experience is that the Boxster is indeed faster BUT 99% of the time it comes down to the driver and not the car.

Here are a few pics from last weekend:

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Ok if SCCA National Solo is your game, here are the results for 2010:
http://www.scca.org/eventresults.aspx?event=15171&hub=6

*Cay S/Box S ruled the roost in A stock and destroyed the Vettes

*Honda S2000 owned B stock

*C stock was a mixed bag between Mazda Mx-5, Porsche 986 Base Boxster, Nissan 370

So yes, a base Boxster is very competitive at the highest levels of SCCA Solo AX under 2010 rules.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #15

Garage
Wow guys! You know, I kept thinking to myself, if i'm going to get a boxster, i should get an S. But you're all totally right, its just a hp race and if i start getting into that i'll never buy another car lol.

Its funny because 986S have almost the exact same hp as bas 987's lol.

Well thanks everyone!! (oh, and i love that British Racing greeen of your miata!!)

BTW, i have a friend that lets me drive his miata around, and its the same color and everything, in return for a nice wash and wax job. But i'm sure you've driven both on the street. Which seems to be quicker and/or more fun on the streets?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
I ran a Miata in BS then CS and then CSP over about 5 years then did many other classes. I love Miatas...but they are not great street cars compared to things with nearly as good handling but better power. Sure on the right road, the Miata is a blast but the lack of power hurts. The Boxster is a better car in that sense. The S's problem is second gear, its just way too tall which hurts acceleration. In stock class, the -1 camber really hurts as well. It is however, extremely fun to autox which I do in S03 for PCA.

P:S an 04 C5 won AS 2011 SCCA Nationals, not a Cayman. 2010 didn't count with no real fast guys in that class at all.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
BTW, i have a friend that lets me drive his miata around, and its the same color and everything, in return for a nice wash and wax job. But i'm sure you've driven both on the street. Which seems to be quicker and/or more fun on the streets?
I've driven both the Boxster and the Miata on the street and track. I like the Boxster better for both but the Miata is a still a great car and an aweful lot of fun to drive - just not quite as much fun as the Box.

Where the Miata really shines is in $/fun. Its really cheap to buy and run.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
Rennzenn

Garage
I had a 99 2.5, then moved to a 2000 986S. I've modded the 986S to be competitive in SCCA BSP. The folks who bring the most competition are the subbie WRX STI's. After R-comp tires, the 986S benefits from coilovers and big time weight loss.
Whatever your pick, for AX, ditch the spare and show up with 1/4 tank of fuel or less. The Box hates excess weight.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #19

wow this is a lot of replies considering most Boxster owners go nowhere near an autocross or DE.

Let me give you a little advice. Don't pick which Boxster you are going to buy based on Autcross classes. Pick it based on what you get the best feeling from when driving it. IMHO a roadster at about this weight "comes alive" at about 240 HP. Particular out of tight turns where the extra ponies come in handy and when overtaking cars from the merge lane on the highway. Either way choosing which Boxster to buy leaves you up to the whims of those who make up those classifications. I mean are you more interested in winning $10 trophies or learning how to drive?

Around these parts the base boxster both 2.5 and 2.7 are grouped with the S2000.
The 3.2 and 3.4 are grouped with the standard 996 Carrera and some of the M3's.
Depending on the driver of course, I often matched or better either's time. The club director told me that the S was a bit a trick to classify because it clearly had an advantage over the S2000's on power but was a little short of some of the newer Porsches and BMWs.

I also had a Miata that I learned to autocross on and IMHO again that car is way more fun to learn how to drive, like for real driving, than a Boxster. If it wasn't such a sardine can in a road of millions of 4 ton SUVs I probably wouldn't have ever sold it. I read a recent Road&Track review of the latest Miata and they had surprsingly mixed views on it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #20

Garage
Wow, thats a lot to take in, in one post lol. Well ya know, as I am only 17 and looking to by a boxster, I really should just buy the one that i can afford. I've driven a 2000 Miata around quite a bit, and anything faster than that, i would absolutely love.

Like previously mentioned, its really hard to get into the whole Horsepower merry go round. Especially when money is such a big issue. But never the less, i would love to get an S, but like i said, money money money.

All in all, I'll probably get a nice example of a base 986 and maybe eventually upgrade it to an S or even a different car...