Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #1

Garage
low temp thermostat brands

There are quite a few different brands of low temp thermostats and quite a diversity of pricing. What brands have you guys had good results or bsf results with?

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I used the LTT from Pelican Parts (comes with the water pump in a kit). Works great.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

I'm not by any means a Boxster afficionado. I DO, however, have LOTS of wrenching and car experience going back to my Dad's indie shop beginning in elementary school.

Given the issue with the IMS bearings affected by sludge, it does not AT ALL appear that these engines would be a good candidate for a low temp thermostat. Whatever gain you might expect in whatever area, would almost certainly be negated by the increased tendency for sludging as a result of a low temp thermostat.

With sludge being such an enemy of the critical IMS bearing, this sounds like a VERY bad idea to me.

My $0.02,

Hope to soon be among the lucky few driving a Boxster.
MBDiagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

I put in the LN Eng low temp thermo.

MBDiag, please refer to the many threads where this has been discussed and the conclusion is that it is a good idea.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

MBDiagMan...I would leave it at your first line,"I'm not by any means a Boxster afficionado."

It is the general consensus that the low temp thermostat is must in the Boxster, otherwise Porsche would not have seen it as a necessity to run it in their higher end cars. My opinion is that the accountants had too much say on the design and production process.

I went with the one offered through Flat-6

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

What temp stat comes from the factory?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #7

A quote directly from Pelican Parts Tech Articles.

"The factory thermostat starts to open at about 187° F (86° C) and only fully opens at almost 210° F (99° C). This means that the engine needs to get very hot before it starts sending its coolant to the front radiators. For this reason, I recommend installing a low temperature thermostat in place of the factory one. For example, LN Engineering developed a thermostat (now discontinued but similar thermostats are currently available) that began opening at 160° F (71° C) and fully opened at about 180° F (82° C); lower coolant temperatures translate into lower oil temperatures. It is my guess that Porsche designed the thermostat to open a bit later in order to help the cars run a bit hotter, which typically helps with emissions testing and the burning off of water out of the oil, which can then lead to longer oil change intervals. Installing the low-temp thermostat is a smart idea for engine longevity:"

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #8

I also took JFP in PA's advice and replaced the stock oil cooler on my base car with the S version.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #9

I had the LN Engineering Low Temp thermostat installed when I had my IMS upgrade done. It was highly recommended by the indie shop (one that LN recommended) that did the install. I see the thermostat is still available on the LN website as is the technical data as to why it is recommended. Are you sure it has been discontinued?

Josh
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Given the issue with the IMS bearings affected by sludge, it does not AT ALL appear that these engines would be a good candidate for a low temp thermostat. Whatever gain you might expect in whatever area, would almost certainly be negated by the increased tendency for sludging as a result of a low temp thermostat.

With sludge being such an enemy of the critical IMS bearing, this sounds like a VERY bad idea to me.
With many 160 stats installed, we are yet to see any signs of sludge in the sump after many, many miles.....................old wives' tale.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
With many 160 stats installed, we are yet to see any signs of sludge in the sump after many, many miles.....................old wives' tale.
Very good to know. With more conventional engines and engine positions, I have most definitely seen a lower oil temperature result in a sludging condition requiring more frequent oil changes.

It is easier to understand why things would be different in these cars given the engine and radiator positions and the relative positions of the two.

It's good to see that there is plenty of attention paid to the issue.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice View Post
MBDiagMan...I would leave it at your first line,"I'm not by any means a Boxster afficionado."
It is the general consensus that the low temp thermostat is must in the Boxster, otherwise Porsche would not have seen it as a necessity to run it in their higher end cars. My opinion is that the accountants had too much say on the design and production process.

I went with the one offered through Flat-6

And that's exactly why I started my post with the disclaimer.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
And that's exactly why I started my post with the disclaimer.
I might have come off harsh, but I did truly appreciate the disclaimer. We live in a world of everyone constantly giving advice (some correct....some incorrect), and it a breath of fresh air when a disclaimer accompanies the advice.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S