Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

I've started looking at a few 993's lately...wife said "whatever, if you want one get one"... I never really had the bug, but they are really sweet cars. I have no interest at all in a newer 911 and I like my Boxster very much.

There seem to be a lot of cabriolets out there. But I think I would want a coupe. Need to figure out the "2" or the "4".

Wondering if it would be giving up too much as a daily driver (vs. the Boxster). I drive my cars every day rain, shine, snow, etc.

Just thinking out loud.

/

Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
I've started looking at a few 993's lately...wife said "whatever, if you want one get one"...

Can we clone her, please?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #3

I've owned all 3 cars at one time or another -- 993, then a Boxster and now a 997. Loved all 3, each for different reasons.

Sold the 993 to get a Boxster which I reasoned was a better daily driver. Bought the 997 when I wanted room for my little kids, and a daily driver.

Be aware. If you drive a 993 you will fall in love. You can not beat the great air-cooled cars. The reason I did no get a 993 again was because they have started to cross the line and become a collectors car. Not something I personally feel comfortable using as a daily driver at this stage of my life. Also, the pricepoint of the 993s is such that you can get a heckofa nice 997 for the same pice, althoigh I understand its not your cup of tea.

If you can afford it, a 993 is just a great car. But as a daily driver -- hmmmm, depends!
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
I've owned all 3 cars at one time or another -- 993, then a Boxster and now a 997. Loved all 3, each for different reasons.

Sold the 993 to get a Boxster which I reasoned was a better daily driver. Bought the 997 when I wanted room for my little kids, and a daily driver.

Be aware. If you drive a 993 you will fall in love. You can not beat the great air-cooled cars. The reason I did no get a 993 again was because they have started to cross the line and become a collectors car. Not something I personally feel comfortable using as a daily driver at this stage of my life. Also, the pricepoint of the 993s is such that you can get a heckofa nice 997 for the same pice, althoigh I understand its not your cup of tea.

If you can afford it, a 993 is just a great car. But as a daily driver -- hmmmm, depends!

Yep - this sums up the dilemma. But I figure if I don't buy one soon then I will probably never own one because the collector premium will make them impractical as a DD. I don't want to have 3 or more cars -- just no space.

The cabs seem to be the most available and affordable -- meaning they have the lowest "collectors" premium. Ironically that makes them more affordable as a DD, but the cabriolet is clearly not as good of a DD in the northeast. I am leaning toward a coupe. Ability to put children in the back is part of the reason to make the move.

My Boxster is coming up on 10 years old. I figure I'm dealing with an "old" car -- I may as well drive one that is 15 years old. At some point soon it really won't matter.

One of the things in favor of the 993 is I have an excellent local independent who specializes in air-cooled cars. I trust that he can keep it on the road for years to come. That is a big part of the reason I'm even thinking about it.

Last edited by fatmike; 08-29-2011 at 07:02 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Can we clone her, please?

Actually, you can just take her...

(please)

/
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM   #6

From what I have heard, the 993 has a harsher and noisy ride compared to the more luxurious and smoother Boxster.

The Boxster is a much better daily driver. If you get a 993, I think it should just be a weekend car. If you can afford two Porsche's.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
One of the things in favor of the 993 is I have an excellent local independent who specializes in air-cooled cars. I trust that he can keep it on the road for years to come. That is a big part of the reason I'm even thinking about it.

This is key. Excellent point.

I have a 2006 987S and a 1997 993 Turbo. Both cars are excellent. Both cars are worlds apart. A great combo to own & drive.

If your budget allows get the C2S or the C4S. The wide hips are amazing. The C4 or the C4S will help you as a daily driver.

You should visit www.Rennlist to learn more. A very active board/forum for the aircooled owners.

A mid mileage 993 cab can be had for the high $20k's. The same coupe will be $10k more. A mid mileage C2S or C4S will be in the low $40k's. A Turbo will be in the mid $60k's for similar mileage.

A very qualified PPI is a MUST.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Actually, you can just take her...

(please)

/
HENNY YOUNGMAN LIVES!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #9

if you want a coupe but can only afford a cab, check this out ...

http://d-moris-equipments.com/

follow the links (in french) as follows:

'francais' - 'catalogue' - 'porsche' - 'hardtops' - 'hardtop 993'

what's cool is that with the added hump on the back of the cabs, the hardtop gives it a real fastback look; i like.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
if you want a coupe but can only afford a cab, check this out ...

http://d-moris-equipments.com/

follow the links (in french) as follows:

'francais' - 'catalogue' - 'porsche' - 'hardtops' - 'hardtop 993'

what's cool is that with the added hump on the back of the cabs, the hardtop gives it a real fastback look; i like.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of premium due to collectors in the cabriolets. There are a lot out there and they are inexpensive. That hardtop is fantastic.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
HENNY YOUNGMAN LIVES!

If I buy the same color, I bet I can get the new one in the garage without her even noticing...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96
From what I have heard, the 993 has a harsher and noisy ride compared to the more luxurious and smoother Boxster.

That "noise" is music to my ears. Its more of a snarl really. The Boxster is more like a violin. Both nice in different ways, the Boxster is more civilized for sure though.

The Boxster is a great daily driver. I have no concerns about putting miles on it and it's fairly reliable. I wouldn't call my car luxurious though - the 986 is simple (maybe even spartan).

/
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
The 993 C2S is one of the most beautiful Porsches ever built. One of my friends had a really nice one, stripped her out and painted Martini Racing livery to take her club racing. That is just plain wrong.

I may own a very clean one some day... daily driver? Nope. She is a mistress and not a workhorse.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
The 993 C2S is one of the most beautiful Porsches ever built. One of my friends had a really nice one, stripped her out and painted Martini Racing livery to take her club racing. That is just plain wrong.

I may own a very clean one some day... daily driver? Nope. She is a mistress and not a workhorse.

I agree with all of that, and unfortunately your probably right about it not being a DD too.

/
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 AM   #15

Topless and Fatmike, you guys need to get out a little more. Read other Porsche related Forums. Live a little!

The 993 is a fabulous daily driver. And a stunning performer on the track. When properly set-up, it is amazing what these cars can accomplish, even after +14 years.

Topless, in today's dollars, a very clean, low mileage (<20k), well documented, 1998 C2S (made 1996-1998) will cost mid $50's. Save up. Priceless.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #16

I had a 1997 993 Cab as a daily driver for a while. It was a great car and made going to work much more fun. When it was done being a DD, I moved over to a '97 993 Turbo. 993s are great.

I have had my Boxster S since 2001. For a DD, I believe the Boxster would be a better car. It is more comfortable, the air conditioner works better and it has a better ride. They are just two very different (& great) cars.

Take a look at the Rennlist 993 forum. There is a lot of great information there; http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-forum-58/

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 08-31-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #17

I guess I don't see the DD argument. Any car can be a DD.

The 993 mechanicals are basically re-worked 964 mechanicals - no valve lash adjustment, no double-distributor, designed for easier maintenance, making it a good DD. The Motronics allow it to be used with various quality fuels. It's really as corrosion resistant as any current car. The AWD system is far less complex than the 964 too.

They're current popularity stems from being the last of the air-cooleds. But I believe this will wane because Porsche made so many of them. Despite this premium, there are many 'driver' quality cars to be had for the price of a well equipped Camry.

I think in time, the 964 will move ahead of the 993 as a collectable because Porsche made far fewer of them.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I guess I don't see the DD argument. Any car can be a DD.
Any car? Would you DD a Ferrari F40, Daytona or a Bugatti Veyron?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I moved over to a '97 993 Turbo. 993s are great.

Beautiful 993 TT, Chuck W.! What a great combination with your Boxster. I aspire to have a 993 of some sort one day too.

I've seen pictures of Flavor 987S' 993 TT and Boxster S as well and admire them greatly!

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 08-31-2011 at 09:09 AM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #20

993 = beautiful car
as far as I know the only Achilles heel are the issues with the secondary air injection, which can turn out to be very costly

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote