Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Porschekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 670
Surprised how well the Boxster did...

I was out taking a cruise with a friend of mine this weekend and sitting at a red light when we heard a very loud rumbling in front of my car. When the light turned, I saw it was a very nice looking orange Saleen Mustang with exhaust in the center about 6 cars ahead of me. We were approaching a strip of the road that everyone calls "the autobahn" (mainly because no cops sit there and it is a perfect stretch to test out your car.) I decide I'll have some fun with this car even though I figure I don't stand much chance against his supercharged 8 cylinder. So traffic clears and we are both in front of it so I do a little fly by and get his attention. After I pass him, I move over and cruise at about 60 to let him catch up. He pulls right beside me (no passengers) and looks over at me so I know it's on. Drop her into third and we both hop on it. He pulls very slightly on me at first to where my nose was at his door but stays right where he is. We took it up to about 120mph or so before he slows down for the slight impending turn and I keep on it because I know I can take it at a higher speed. I really thought that he was going to pull alot harder on me, even at those speeds, but I never left his door. I may have faired even better if my friend wasn't in the car. But we got to pull over and talk to the kid for a while he was in his mid-twentys and said the car was about $50k, no mods, ~5k on the odometer. He said he didn't like taking it too far over 100 because of its low miles but was surprised how well I did and even more surprised that I wasn't even an S model. I figure he would have annhiliated me from a stand-still. Car looked identical to this one but without the drop-top... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=4558441002&rd=1
Not bad against a car with 150 more HP than me...

__________________
http://www.thecarspace.com/photos/8/...1481113d25.jpg
When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
Well, it better be.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 184
Kid.... Then we'll be seeing you on that new show 'Pinks', eh?


Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Porschekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 670
huh?
__________________
http://www.thecarspace.com/photos/8/...1481113d25.jpg
When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
Well, it better be.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Nice race. That is amazing the 2.7L can keep up that well with a stang Gt. He has almost double the displacement @ 4.6L. I wish I would've been there there to give his stang a good spanking. I've walked several Gt's and F-Bods....it's good fun. Some people underestimate the boxster and end up getting owned which makes it all the more satisfying.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetstuff
Kid.... Then we'll be seeing you on that new show 'Pinks', eh?


Jim
i don't get it either....
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
i don't get it either....
Pink is supposed to be the new show on SpeedTV. You take the loser's car if you win a race.
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 54
"Pinks"

That is a new show comming on TV. The participants race each other for the 'pink slips". That is the title papers of the cars. Back in the old days that is how drag racing was done.
__________________
http://www.pcars.us/albums/4802.jpgTOM986
TOM986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Porschekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM986
That is a new show comming on TV. The participants race each other for the 'pink slips". That is the title papers of the cars. Back in the old days that is how drag racing was done.
Ah, in that case, I still would have technically lost my car... just not by as much as I would have thought.
__________________
http://www.thecarspace.com/photos/8/...1481113d25.jpg
When people risk their lives, shouldn't it be for something very important?
Well, it better be.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 120
Wow, just this weekend I got challenged by a Mustang but I wasn't up to it. Too much traffic and I was driving late, real tired, and with my tall heavy buddy in the right seat. I'm not usually in the mood to risk losing my license and impounding my car to respond to a (insert derrogatory remark here) but I must admit I am curious.

A few weeks ago down the PCH in Laguna Beach ($$$ town) I had a MB SL600 AMG pull up next to me at a light. I read his V-12 Biturbo emblem over his door. He was in the "right turn only" lane but not turning, so I could tell he was going to zip in front of me when the light went green. Green light - and INSTANTLY there was a roar and he was three car lengths ahead. Pretty cool. Then a fraction later came a Camaro SS hot on his heels. The two cars zoomed ahead a super speed, and then the MB pulled over to slow down before he got to the crowded part. Then the SS continued at high speed into the crowded part of town and I just thought what a jerk.

Nothing against American cars or their owners, there are plenty of good guys in Fords and jerks around the world driving all sorts of cars! But I think these two cases were using really poor judgement here.

Drive safe guys. Have fun, go FAST! But still drive safe!
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 69
The v-12 bi turbo is still an automatic, right? For some reason, no matter how fast a M-B AMG goes, I don't really give the "driver" much respect knowing all he's got to do is flip a few switches, stomp on gas pedal, close his eyes and zoommmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier405
Wow, just this weekend I got challenged by a Mustang but I wasn't up to it. Too much traffic and I was driving late, real tired, and with my tall heavy buddy in the right seat. I'm not usually in the mood to risk losing my license and impounding my car to respond to a (insert derrogatory remark here) but I must admit I am curious.

A few weeks ago down the PCH in Laguna Beach ($$$ town) I had a MB SL600 AMG pull up next to me at a light. I read his V-12 Biturbo emblem over his door. He was in the "right turn only" lane but not turning, so I could tell he was going to zip in front of me when the light went green. Green light - and INSTANTLY there was a roar and he was three car lengths ahead. Pretty cool. Then a fraction later came a Camaro SS hot on his heels. The two cars zoomed ahead a super speed, and then the MB pulled over to slow down before he got to the crowded part. Then the SS continued at high speed into the crowded part of town and I just thought what a jerk.

Nothing against American cars or their owners, there are plenty of good guys in Fords and jerks around the world driving all sorts of cars! But I think these two cases were using really poor judgement here.

Drive safe guys. Have fun, go FAST! But still drive safe!
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

IMHO, Kalifornia drivers on balance are bloody insane. I shudder at the antics I see daily.

I don't mind if they kill themselves, but often they take others with them.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page