View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Porschekid

Surprised how well the Boxster did...

I was out taking a cruise with a friend of mine this weekend and sitting at a red light when we heard a very loud rumbling in front of my car. When the light turned, I saw it was a very nice looking orange Saleen Mustang with exhaust in the center about 6 cars ahead of me. We were approaching a strip of the road that everyone calls "the autobahn" (mainly because no cops sit there and it is a perfect stretch to test out your car.) I decide I'll have some fun with this car even though I figure I don't stand much chance against his supercharged 8 cylinder. So traffic clears and we are both in front of it so I do a little fly by and get his attention. After I pass him, I move over and cruise at about 60 to let him catch up. He pulls right beside me (no passengers) and looks over at me so I know it's on. Drop her into third and we both hop on it. He pulls very slightly on me at first to where my nose was at his door but stays right where he is. We took it up to about 120mph or so before he slows down for the slight impending turn and I keep on it because I know I can take it at a higher speed. I really thought that he was going to pull alot harder on me, even at those speeds, but I never left his door. I may have faired even better if my friend wasn't in the car. But we got to pull over and talk to the kid for a while he was in his mid-twentys and said the car was about $50k, no mods, ~5k on the odometer. He said he didn't like taking it too far over 100 because of its low miles but was surprised how well I did and even more surprised that I wasn't even an S model. I figure he would have annhiliated me from a stand-still. Car looked identical to this one but without the drop-top... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=4558441002&rd=1
Not bad against a car with 150 more HP than me...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote