Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

914 question.....

I have an opportunity in picking up a '74 2.0 914.
I've always had a soft spot for these cars, but don't know much about them.
I'm planing on checking it out this weekend and would like some advise. What things should I look for? How can I tell if its the original engine and tranny?
As its describe, the car has doesnt turn and needs some body work, but it has potential. I would like to pick it up as a restoration project.
Thks

442nd986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Garage
Rust will eat those cars alive! :ah:

Some good reading here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php

When I have my car barn it will contain a nice 914 2.0
Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

1. Check for rust
2. Check for rust
3. Check for rust
4. A 2.0L should have a "GA" engine code (found right behind the oil fill cap)
5. Check for rust
6. Ask about the "hell hole". every 914 owner knows what that is! (but just in case, it's the area underneath the battery, if the battery tray is still there at all)
7. Should probably check for rust
8. Condition of all the seals (doors, windshield, targa top front and rear, bottom edge of back windshield)
9. Get underneath the car and check the jack points for rust/mangling
10. Ask to see the "longs", the pair of "running board panels" along each side of the car. If they are riveted on (confirmed by opening door and checking top edge), then they are probably original and have never been removed, this may indicate loads of rust/debris behind them (they are removable)
11. headlights work? do they have the 2 knobs that allow manual raising of the headlamps?
12. Check for rust
13. Speedometer work? Fuel gauge work?
14. Condition of dash pad (although cosmetic) could be looked at (they're unobtainium)
15. Check for rust

That should get you started. Once you've knocked out the list, be sure to check for rust. If you're able to, post the VIN number and it might reveal more information (original color, options, "bumblebee" or "creamsicle"!) and post over on 914world.com!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
as said, rust is a huge problem on these cars.

the battery box, frame under the box and the jack points on the rockers are the biggies.

a lot of people buy 914s with rust thinking that it'll be an easy fix, but it always turns into big $$$.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4

Last edited by Dave928; 08-12-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #6

Update!

So I went this weekend to check out the 914......

If you close your eyes for a bit......... you cant tell that it's rusty.
As for exterior and rocker panels, its in pretty good rust free shape.
Rear trunk doesnt lock
Some rust in the engine bay and fire wall, no rust on the "hell hole"/battery area
ALL seals need to be replaced: doors, windows, back glass.
Inside footboards have rust. No carpet. Seats ok, but need redone
Dash board and center console in great shape. All knobs and guages in good shape.
As for the the front truck, there's rust inside front lower portion of it.
Both bumpers are starting to rust, but fixable.
Since the car doesn't have a battery, I couldnt check the electronics. Seller claims that the 1.7 carb engines doesnt turn, but he hasn't spent anytime troubleshooting it.

So I'm looking for some advise.
Should I walk away or go for the challenge. I don't mind a small challenge/project but I don't want to turn into a money pit. We've agreed on $750 as is with a spare 2.0 lt engine and tranny. Ive done a little research and it turns out the injectors for the 1.7 and 2.0 are no longer available. So what I would like to know is; Can a 1.7 lt carb system bolt on to a 2.0 system.
442nd986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442nd986s
Can a 1.7 lt carb system bolt on to a 2.0 system.
IIRC, the head ports are different sizes on the 1.7 and the 2.0, so the old carb/intake most likely won't fit.

you'd be better off with a new aftermarket Dellorto carb setup.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Doing a project like this can be great fun and a wonderful experience but any 35+ yr old Porsche that sells for $750 is, by definition, going to be a money pit. If you have several thousand $$$ to get the car into decent running shape, then go for it; otherwise take a pass.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
Doing a project like this can be great fun and a wonderful experience but any 35+ yr old Porsche that sells for $750 is, by definition, going to be a money pit. If you have several thousand $$$ to get the car into decent running shape, then go for it; otherwise take a pass.
I have been down this path with non-Porsche cars before and I think there is a universal truth that a free car, or essentially free, is never a good deal. When you start restoring it, you will find that the acquisition cost of the vehicle itself is the lowest cost of the project. You'd be better off to wait and find one that is in great shape - maybe for only a few thousand $$. It will ultimately cost less money and will probably be a much better car when finished.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #10

I have a friend here in grece owner of a 914/4 and i can tell you, in europe its very easy to find a 1,7 motor rebuild, but remember you have many similar vw parts like the old vw passat & transporter. they have the same mechanical injection systems...
kotsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #11

Garage
I have a family friend with a 914 and was thinking it might be fun for my son to drive since it is a 4 cylinder and a 1.7L it might be better than him driving a boxster but now I am beginning to wonder if it might be more trouble than it is worth.

He is a great kid and gets straight A's and he will be attending Skip Barber before he turns 16. If he wants to go fast he can do it on the track not on the street. I also intend to put a GPS recorder in whatever car he gets. He is a lot more sensible than I was at that age. My first car was a spitfire, all looks no go, it was perfect.

I have told him 50 times...You want to be an idiot, put on a helmet and a fire suit, we'll go to the track, you do it on the road and you walk to town.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I have a family friend with a 914 and was thinking it might be fun for my son to drive since it is a 4 cylinder and a 1.7L it might be better than him driving a boxster but now I am beginning to wonder if it might be more trouble than it is worth.

He is a great kid and gets straight A's and he will be attending Skip Barber before he turns 16. If he wants to go fast he can do it on the track not on the street. I also intend to put a GPS recorder in whatever car he gets. He is a lot more sensible than I was at that age. My first car was a spitfire, all looks no go, it was perfect.

I have told him 50 times...You want to be an idiot, put on a helmet and a fire suit, we'll go to the track, you do it on the road and you walk to town.

Thoughts?
get him a 944. lots of fun, parts are reasonably priced, fairly easy to find a decent car at very reasonable prices. he'll still be in a porsche but it's also a 4-cyl. go for an 85 1/2 or newer though. lots of good changes were made in that revision. the 87 introduced some safety features you may want (airbags, abs).
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #13

Garage
Thanks for the advice, yes ABS and airbags would be great and I like the way the 944 looks.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
JTP

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, yes ABS and airbags would be great and I like the way the 944 looks.
After my Boxster S got totaled I got an '87 944S. Not as fun nor has the power of the 3.2 flat six but I really like it. I like the build quality and old school feel with more comforts than my 914. I love the 914 but the 944 is better to live with day to day.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #15

Garage
I showed my Son a picture of the 944 to see what his reaction was and he said "I like the Boxster better and it is already paid for so it does not cost you anything". He does have a point, sort of, smart bugger appealing to Dad's desire to upgrade... BTW he will be paying his own insurance so I guess I wont be seeing too much of him, he will be working a lot to pay for it, I cant imagine what adding him to the family policy will add to the insurance bill!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #16

Quote:
I cant imagine what adding him to the family policy will add to the insurance bill!
repair bills will seem like a mere pittance in comparison...
Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #17

1.7 injectors and 2.0 injectors and lots of other parts are available from many places, I own a 72 914 I restored, the fuel injection system on those cars works great do not switch to carbs unless you have to ,sounds like it needs a lot of work ,like everyone says check for rust
Attached Images

rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #18

If you really want a 914 you can probably find a well sorted one on Samba.com, but you will have to pay 8k and up to get a nice one, which is a lot less than you would spend restoring one yourself. Plus you will likely have to travel to get it. 944 or better still 968 cabs are great cars for not very much money right now. The cabs used to cost more than the coupes, naturally, but lately that is going the other way. There weren't many built but there are still quite a few very well maintained 968s that come up for sale in the same price range as you would spend for a nicely sorted 914.

The only down side is ensuring the belts and rollers are in good shape and regularly replaced. There is also a pinion bearing issue with every single one built, IMO, but most have long since been repaired at a cost of about 2k. it's a good idea to see proof that has been done. That being said they are very good handling cars with most modern conveniences, good AC, with 236 HP and a 6 speed or tiptronic. You won't see one on every corner and they were the first Pcars to get the 6 speed and variable valve timing.