View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
tonycarreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I have a family friend with a 914 and was thinking it might be fun for my son to drive since it is a 4 cylinder and a 1.7L it might be better than him driving a boxster but now I am beginning to wonder if it might be more trouble than it is worth.

He is a great kid and gets straight A's and he will be attending Skip Barber before he turns 16. If he wants to go fast he can do it on the track not on the street. I also intend to put a GPS recorder in whatever car he gets. He is a lot more sensible than I was at that age. My first car was a spitfire, all looks no go, it was perfect.

I have told him 50 times...You want to be an idiot, put on a helmet and a fire suit, we'll go to the track, you do it on the road and you walk to town.

Thoughts?
get him a 944. lots of fun, parts are reasonably priced, fairly easy to find a decent car at very reasonable prices. he'll still be in a porsche but it's also a 4-cyl. go for an 85 1/2 or newer though. lots of good changes were made in that revision. the 87 introduced some safety features you may want (airbags, abs).