Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #181

Not so hard if you happen to know where one is parked. It's a Canadian Harvard MK.4 pilot trainer brought into service in July 1939, in case anyone wants to know.

Next: boxster at a drive-in burger stand

Last edited by Mark_T; 10-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #182
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I dunno, Spinnaker...how can we be sure this is your Boxster, or that you're not an exceptional photoshopper?

(Before anyone actually takes this seriously, I'm only kidding, Spinnaker has his point, and we're waiting on someone to complete Mark_T's challenge. Onward!)

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 10-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #183

What is a 'drive-in burger stand'?

It that like a McDonalds drive through?
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #184

You usually find them in small towns. They are, like, a small building, basically a kitchen, on a parking lot. They generally have a window on the front where you walk up and place your order, and then when it's ready they call out your number and you pick it up and sit in your car to eat it. Sometimes they have carhops that come to you and take your order. Some of them might have a few picnic tables around the outside for patrons to use if the weather is nice. Up here they are typically seasonal, closing down for the winter months.

But no, not a drive-thru like Mcdonalds. A drive-in, like A&W used to be.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #185
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
To me that sounds like a Sonic would suffice. It may be a bigger chain, but it's in the spirit of the old drive-in joints.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #186

I'd never heard of Sonic but I just looked at a few pictures on Google. I had something a little more 60's era, Mom&Pop, wooden shack-ish in mind, but I suppose it would technically qualify.

Heck, if we're accepting toy cars photoshopped into side mirror reflections then I guess practically anything goes.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Heck, if we're accepting toy cars photoshopped into side mirror reflections then I guess practically anything goes.
It wasn't Photoshopped, it was the actual reflection. In fact, I have never used Photoshop ever.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #188

Sorry Spinnaker - my bad. I thought it was a doctored photo. Please accept my most humble apology.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #189
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
As was stated in the rules, no photoshopping allowed.

I think I may actually be able to get this picture, but unfortunately I may not be able to do so before the time limit is up...maybe I'll throw it up here anyways even if Mark_T has to meet his own challenge. We do have a place like that in a nearby town where one of the local car clubs held a weekly cruise over the summer...come to think of it, that's also where I could have taken my pic with the air-cooled '63 Bug.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #190

Brilliant Idea

Here's an idea! Let's post pictures and challenges and cut the cr@p. It's boring to check this thread and find twenty postings of whining and counter-whining.
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #191

You're whining about the whining?

Sorry our conversation isn't sufficiently stimulating for you.

Last edited by Brucelee; 10-05-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Too testy. Please take a deep breath!
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #192
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster101 View Post
Here's an idea! Let's post pictures and challenges and cut the cr@p. It's boring to check this thread and find twenty postings of whining and counter-whining.
Better idea: You could help that along by meeting the challenge with a picture of your own and get a point, otherwise looks like you're doing the same thing you're complaining about.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #193
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
In other news, though I'm getting to this much later in the day, the 24-hour time limit for Mark_T to meet his own challenge has passed as of shortly past noon today. I'm afraid I will have to dock your most recent point, Mark_T, and you will have to present a new challenge for people to meet. Please post your new challenge ASAP.

And to Spinnaker, while I appreciate your revealing of your secret (impressive because I thought the reflection in your mirror was a photo), please refrain from posting pictures that are not meeting the most current challenge. We don't want anyone getting confused...it's bad enough that there are pretty big gaps between pictures and challenges due to conversation.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #194

Sorry, I didn't realize you were waiting on me - thought we were still waiting for someone to take the challenge. Dock the point if you want, but here's the pic:

Next: Boxster at a show'n'shine
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #195
Certified Boxster Addict

?? show'n'shine?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #196

Wow - I really seem to be hitting the cultural differences here It's a basically a local carshow. Usually one car club, or sometimes an event like a local fair, will sponsor it and invite other local car clubs to attend. They can happen at parks, parking lots, exhibition grounds, etc. Everyone shines up their car and brings it out to show it off.

We have a local restaurant, The Pony Corral, that sponsors one in their parking lot every Sunday night over the summer, featuring a different car group each week. The local PCA is featured at least once each summer. They have prizes, local radio stations set up camp, and it's pretty much a big tailgate party (is that another expression no-one knows?)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #197
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Boxster at a Show and Shine

Next: Boxster next to vintage gas station sign
Attached Images

tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #198
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Wow - I really seem to be hitting the cultural differences here It's a basically a local carshow. Usually one car club, or sometimes an event like a local fair, will sponsor it and invite other local car clubs to attend. They can happen at parks, parking lots, exhibition grounds, etc. Everyone shines up their car and brings it out to show it off.
Around here we call them cruises/meets/gatherings. The place I mentioned called Bart's is where one of those happened every week this summer hosted by one of the local car clubs.

Quote:
We have a local restaurant, The Pony Corral, that sponsors one in their parking lot every Sunday night over the summer, featuring a different car group each week. The local PCA is featured at least once each summer. They have prizes, local radio stations set up camp, and it's pretty much a big tailgate party (is that another expression no-one knows?)
There's an event called "Mark's Cruise Night" that happens every Monday over the summer and does the different car group/model thing each week, as well (Mustang night, Firebird/TA night, etc), but anything and everything shows up. The last one I went to had over 910 cars (I was 908), which blew my mind. There wasn't much grass to be seen in the field, it was pretty covered with cars.

So yeah, we know what you're talking about, at least I do, just by different names.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #199

Piece of cake when you have one in the garage already. Didn't have to leave the driveway again.

Next - Boxster on a red brick road

IMGP2859sm
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 10-10-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #200
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Boxster on a red brick road

Next: Boxster and a Fire Truck
Attached Images

tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote