Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #1

No sound from audio

Is there a fuse I can check or any suggestions I should check if sound no longer comes out of my speakers? Headunit and everything still works, just no sound.

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Year and model needed to help you or you could look in your owners manual to id what fuses provide power to the audio system.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

03 boxster s.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

There is a fuse on the fuse block and one on the back of the head unit. To check the fuse on the back of the head unit, you will need a set of radio removal keys.

When you say the unit is powering up, does that mean that the lights on the unit come on? I don't think the lights would come on if the fuse on the back of the radio was blown.

It may indicate a problem with the amplifier or the cable that connects the radio to the amp. I believe the connector in an 03 is a fiber optic type and I've heard it is more fragile than the copper wire in older cars like mine. Did you have any work done on the dash or in the front trunk that could have damaged the amp or connector?

A friend of mine blew the fuse on the back of the head unit in his 04 when he connected a battery maintainer to the cigarette lighter. I think his radio was totally dead (no lights) until we replaced the fuse, but I could be mistaken.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #5

Thanks for all the info, will check amp for power and connector in the fiber optic cable from amp.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

KevinH1990,

Thanks for your post, it helped me out as well. I did the same thing as your friend and now have a totally dead radio. I bought a set of radio removal tools but I am having trouble getting the radio all the way out. I had to pull pretty hard and got the radio to move about a half inch but it doesn't seem to want to move any further. Is there a trick to getting it all the way out?
zupanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupanj
KevinH1990,

I had to pull pretty hard and got the radio to move about a half inch but it doesn't seem to want to move any further. Is there a trick to getting it all the way out?
Try putting a screwdriver in each of the loops on the end of the radio removal tools. That will give you more of a handle to pull on. Make sure that the screwdrivers won't scratch anything as they move.

I've removed radios from 3 different Boxsters. Two of them came out easy and one was difficult.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #8

Thanks,

I got it out but it was really pretty tight. Once out it was easy going back in.

zupanj is offline   Reply With Quote