Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 33
Ebay stock spoiler replacement?

What do you all think of this spoiler to replace the stock. Has anyone ever bought one? I am curious about the quality and ease of installing. Thanks


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7982408097&category=33638

RENNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

Personally, I always thought the Box spoiler was laughable. If it were me, I would look around for a real spoiler that was fixed in nature.

But then, that's just me!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
Seems overpriced to me... there's not much to it, is there?

I also wonder if makes the spoiler just decorative. The factory one is solid and does force the back end down at high speeds, even if it's not big enough for Richard.

So I assume size IS important with some things, huh?
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
I got a strosec spoiler that looks just like that one.


Its fairly easy to install yourself but it is purely decrative. It provideds no down force whatsoever. The air simply does through it. It but does look bad ass when its up
If you do only in town driving then you wouldn't notice the difference between stock. But, like myself, I just moved so I have to take the freeway to my office everyday and I really notice a big difference and I am going to put the stock one back on next month.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,889
Strosek came out with a spoiler like that years ago. No clue if that is what is on ebay or a copy. I have seen the Strosek version on a local car.

One of our local guys came up with his own version 3 years ago.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,052
See, now these are the worst kinds of modifications that one can do, in my opinion. These take something that is functional and ruin ALL of its functionality for the sake of dubious aesthetics.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
If someone can create a small perminant lip that doesn't raise, like the new Caymen wing or 996 wing, then the strosec wing would actually be functional.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
See, now these are the worst kinds of modifications that one can do, in my opinion. These take something that is functional and ruin ALL of its functionality for the sake of dubious aesthetics.
ESLAI : Yes it is a shame for someone to buy something that takes the functionality away from the car. BUT, No ones buys a Strosec wing thinking, this thing isn't going to be functional. Its not said anywhere that the wing itself doesn't work.
Strosec has been a name in the Porsche cummunity for many years. Its like buying a Ruf wing that doesn't work. How would you know until after you buy it?

Just be glad the guy wants to replace the wing with a good looking one and not one of those stupid jumbo jet APC cf/alum wings

Last edited by tqtran; 06-23-2005 at 12:27 PM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 33
Yeah, I agree. For as often as my current spoiler goes up, I wouldn't know the difference. It's my daily city driver to which gets about 5 miles a day and some weekend driving. The existing spoiler is hideous when raised. So in this case, my case, an updated wing will bring much more value to me in the cars look when down as well as up.

Dubiously aestheticically speaking of course.
RENNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
Strosec has been a name in the Porsche cummunity for many years. Its like buying a Ruf wing that doesn't work. How would you know until after you buy it?
Why should I have to know AFTER I buy it? Why can't I know BEFORE? Where's the tests, the engineering documentation?

Notice how the porsche spoiler is shaped. It isn't using the surface as an airfoil--the "spoiler" part of the spoiler is the flat part that appears when you raise the spoiler, it is not the painted part that you see when the spoiler is down.

Replacing it with a "mini wing" is futile. That thing has very little surface area or fluid deflection. As well, do you think that Strosec took the time to put the car in a wind tunnel and test it properly?

I could imagine it having some sort of effect when it is lowered, but when raised it would do nearly nothing, other than create turbulent airflow behind the car.

Point is, it is for looks only. It is not a performance upgrade. It could actually be detrimental to performance but has it ever been tested? No.

Just because it has a big name-brand associated with it does not mean that it's "good" anyhow. As far as the aftermarket is concerned, trust no one. Only trust results.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 494
I second easlei's opinion,

THe wing is for looks only.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #12
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Point is, it is for looks only. It is not a performance upgrade. It could actually be detrimental to performance
It is clear that you have read nothing that I said or are determined to argue with yourself. From the begining in post #4 I clearly stated "it is purely decrative. It provideds no down force whatsoever. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Just because it has a big name-brand associated with it does not mean that it's "good" anyhow.
I'm sorry but my computer's "keyword search" must have missed the spot where I called it a "good wing"
Not in any of my post did I call the wing "good" except for in looks.

As forthe "name-brand" association, did I ever say that it was "good" because it was a Strosec?? NO

I stated that it is from an established company and I was trying to point out the fact that you can not tell if it is good or not.
Since you are blind and could not see what I had written in BOLD print, in post #8,"Its not said anywhere that the wing itself doesn't work " and "How would you know until after you buy it?"
Since I clearly stated at the begining in post #4 that it is not functional, the obvious the answer is you don't know. I was trying to elaborate "why" someone would buy it. Because they don't know. Do you need me to say it again in bold ?
Because they don't know
Because they don't know
Because they don't know

Since you are either too lazy to read the above post or are too stupid to comprehend(that means to understand by the way), I will summarize in terms you can understand.

RENNX - Hey I want a new wing, what do you guys think of this
BRUCELEE - stock wing looks gay.
TQTRAN - I have a simular wing, it looks cool but doesn't work so only get it if you drive slow
ESLAI - That wing is a POS since it doesn't work so I will argue that fact even though TQTRAN already stated that it doesn't work.
RENNX - I don't drive it fast enough to care if it works or not. I just want to look cool.
ESLAI - I still want to be a douche bag so try and convine me that what you already said is wrong.
TQTRAN - RENNX, thats cool.
TQTRAN - ESLAI chill out and learn to read
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,052
Wow, someone got a little hot, didn't they?

Actually, I re-read what you said earlier in the afternoon and I realized what you were saying, so my apologies for misinterpreting it. Go back and re-read it yourself and maybe you'll find that your grammar made it rather ambiguous--in fact, the text that you highlighted drew away attention from the other parts of your argument that were required in order for the highlighted part to make any sense.

But, apologies aside, I didn't actually go back and change anything I wrote because I don't see how anything I said conflicted with anything you said. Why aren't people putting in proper research or common sense to decide on whether or not they should make aerodynamic changes to their cars.

Sit down, put some ice on your head, and relax. Just because I pinched your online-ego doesn't mean you have to go off and call me a "douche bag". "That wing is a POS since it doesn't work so I will argue that fact even though TQTRAN already stated that it doesn't work." LOL you make it sound like my original statements had something to do with anything you said... am I not allowed to give my opinion because The TQTRAN said something similar?
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
apologies accepted but your still a douche bag j/k

edit :


RENNX : An alternative to the strosec wing would be a carbon fiber one from Weltmeister. It gives a little better look than stock but still uses the spoiler plate for the downforce
[IMG]http://content.************************************************************************************************/main/106171/106171_200_1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by tqtran; 06-24-2005 at 06:45 AM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:10 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

Lets calm down guys! If there is anything NOT worth arguing about it would be the so called spoiler that comes with our Boxes.


BTW-I didn't call that wing gay, "not that there is anything wrong with that!"

Seriously, I am sure that I have seen some aftermarket fixed spoilers that actually look pretty good but I do not recall who actually manufactured them.

Perhaps that is the direction this thread needs to go in?

Thanks
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 265
tqtran - want to sell yours?

email me at johnleck at comcast.net if you want to sell that strosek spoiler...I'm got soe ideas on how I might fabricate a rear spoiler that's got aesthetics + function, but I'd prefer to start with a used / cheaper-than-new one since it's possible I'll screw it up.
__________________
01 S - gone
FUHRIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #17
Registered User
 
tqtran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 416
FUHRIUS - I don't want to sell it but I am open to let you use it to test on if you can make it better. That way if you can make a better wing, you can use the prototype to make a cast and just give me back my wing.
If you can somehow make a base that does not rise like the one on the Cayman

Then it should work. If you are interested, let me know.

edit :


Thats it! We should put together a 986forum project. Make a better looking wing that is functional!

Last edited by tqtran; 06-24-2005 at 08:23 AM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 265
so it's interesting that the cayman spoiler...

looks to be more for looks than for function if you go by what people have said here so far about the boxster oem and aftermarket spoilers.

so I'm guessing that the oftermarket boxster spoilers, such as the strosek one, have some function just as I suspect the cayman one has functional benefit.

That said, toolpants, I think the one in the picture you provided is among the coolest I've seen. Any chance you can give me more insight into how that was done, or connect me with the do-er?

I'm a local San Jose guy.
__________________
01 S - gone
FUHRIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Seriously, I am sure that I have seen some aftermarket fixed spoilers that actually look pretty good but I do not recall who actually manufactured them.
That's possible, but the problem is, without wind tunnel testing and actual experimental data, you'd only have anecdotal evidence to tell you whether or not the new wing was actually functional. You might end up adding more drag than any effective downforce.

And that's just the way I work--I don't like to mess with a car's performance in a non-scientific way. Especially if it's going to change the way the car looks.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 265
here's another knock-off of the strosek...

http://www.sportscarsolutions.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=GW&Category_Code=EA

this guy said he'd price-match the ebay price...

__________________
01 S - gone
FUHRIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page