Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #1

was cleaning radiator ... and it broke, what to do??? I have work in 8 hours! help!

Hey guys,

I was cleaning my radiators out, following the youtube video . . . when I went to separate the AC radiator from the engine radiator, the tab that holds it on bent, and compressed air has been coming out for like 5 minutes now ...

The little metal tab that pokes out of the front radiator

What is the function of that front radiator (ive read its the AC radiator, I guess it keeps the AC cold??)?

I'm guessing I'll have to replace that front radiator ... is that the only part that I'll need to replace? and will it be a plug and play - hook it up and I'll be ready to go? Like do I need to bleed the system of anything, re-do my coolant or any of that crap?

And finally, where can I get this part other than Porsche? Is it something generic that autozone, or advance auto parts would carry?

On the bright side, I cleaned a ton of crap off of the drivers side and didn't break the tab

fedekz986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #2

that is your AC condenser. you can drive the car without it, but don't run the AC. you will need to replace it & have the system re-charged.

i have a good condenser you can have for $60+shipping; i can send it out today. PM me if you want it.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #3

You got my response on Pelican already.
Just want to say that's one heck of deal offered by insite. Cheap fix for an expensive mistake!
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

Garage
You do have another avenue...call any local radiator repair/air conditioning service center and ask if they can weld aluminum. It’s a simple fix and then just have the AC system recharged. Same holds true for radiator repairs. With luck you’ll have the crack repaired and recharged in the same shop.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #5

condensers looks anodized to me. poisonous to weld; shops aren't supposed do do it....but some do.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #6

Wow! Heck of an offer by insite which you should definitely take him up on. The left condenser on my 997 went recently and it was a $950 repair job ..... but all was covered by my Porsche warranty . Recharge will cost some but shouldn't be too much.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #7

I'm planning to clean my radiator ths weekend.

Any tips on what NOT to do? How did you managed to break it?

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055

Sasha
Sasha,
The hoses going into the condenser are flexible so slide the condensers toward the hoses, toward the center of the vehicle, sliding the tap out of the holder. Avoid putting forward pressure on tab/holder. The tab is not fragile, it's not going to break easy, but don't pry or apply excessive force on the condenser.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055

Sasha
I was watching to youtube video, and the guy was talking about removing the condenser apart from the radiator, how it feels like it's going to break, but they are actually strong, and you "won't break it" (I think he said that). I got off the drivers side condenser pretty easily, just by pulling back towards the center of the car with the top and bottem of the condenser, wiggiling it out. However, the passenger side wouldn't budge at all, I tried sitting down, and pushing the side of it with my feet (gently, not chuck norris round house kicking it), I tried wiggiling it out - I thought I had tried everything, and was going to give up BUT I had to keep going. So I grabbed a screw driver and tried to use that as leverage to push it out of the little black clip, well that bent the tab on the condensor just a hair, and created a tiny fracture in the sidewall of it (about .5 in, the length of the tab).

So in short, just wiggle and pull at the same time, don't touch the tab!

I can't speak for the other main points of the DIY, like removing the bumper. I got my 99 boxster 2 weeks ago, and it was a pleasant surprise to see zip ties holding the bumper up ... oh and sheet rock screws by the trunk lid!! At the very least, I did some preventative maintenance, and replaced all the plastic zip ties with metal ones rated at 100lbs
fedekz986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #10

Thanks, I will be patient..

I learned this lesson wheh changing my wheel bearing.. the eccentric nut wouldn't come out no matter what I did.. so I pushed and pushed .. and used all available tools.. until I scraped off the threads.. I had to pay 30$ the stealership for a new one..
After lesson was learned .. I spayed the next one with WD40 and I pulled it out with my hand easily

I'll probably use some wd40 on the radiator if it's not moving

Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote